Bull Run River Fishing

T
TroutBum
Has anyone ever caught a steelhead in The Bull Run River near The Sandy? I was fishing The Sandy at Dodge Park last Sunday and it was way off color. So I headed up the Bull Run River which was running clear and caught several trout but didn't see any Salmon or Steelhead.

Last edited by a moderator:
O
OnTheFly
Check your regs dude!!! I believe Bull Run is OFF limits.

T
TroutBum
I carry me regs in my backpack and always check them when heading into new water. So correct me if i'm wrong but it is open year round for steelhead up to the watershed boundary.

Irishrover
Irishrover
The Bull Run is open year round for fin clipped chinook and fin clipped steelhead. C&R all trout. Open August to October 31 for fin clipped coho. Bait is allowed. Now with that all being said there is no hatchery release on the Bull Run. The only hatchery fish in there are ones who make a wrong left turn at Dodge park. I guess they should put a sign up there for the fish. There is really not much river there to fish, it's closed by the power house (Not in use now) 100 feet above and below and closed at the watershed. That leave about three mile that doesn't have that much access and few fish. But the cool thing is that it is hardly ever crowded!;)

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
I stand corrected. But I swear I read somewhere that fishing in the Bull Run watershed was a no no.

Irishrover
Irishrover
OTF you are right when you say Bull Run Watershed. Heck you can't even go in there let along fish in the watershed. The roads are gated and patrolled. If you are found in there it's a trespass beef. The only area to fish is the lower three miles of not real productive water. It's real pretty just not productive.