Building the boat you want

C
Combat Chuck
This post is a long time coming, just forgot to put it on here. Hope it can help. This past summer I got an Alaskan and had visions of it being the perfect all around boat. Small enough to use by myself or with a couple friends for any species we want. I started working on it almost immediately. I decided to build a front deck OFF of the bench. I left it because it was full of foam and was a solid base. Its been so long that I forgot many of the details but I took lots of pics, so you get the idea. Im not a carpenter so some of this may look a little funny... I just see and do, and it worked very well.

5519981_n.jpg8369172_n.jpg8263535_n.jpg

I used a 2x2 frame that is supported by the bench and I angled the ends to rest on the front of the boat (with some scrap carpet as padding). My goal was deep storage in the nose (batteries and anchor), with shallow storage on the bench and more storage just inside the bench.

5523007_n.jpg7884833_n.jpg1046465_n.jpg

I used a lot of cardboard to create a mold for the deck, and then hacked some more once the plywood was cut. The frame was solid so I went light on the plywood to save weight. I treated the wood that would be exposed with a water proof-er. After that dried I glued the outdoor carpet on.

5809067_n.jpg6932116_n.jpg6570622_n.jpg

This carpet is very nice because it hides any flaws in your work :lol: I then added a bow mount motor from craigslist and a seat pedestal. I wasn't looking for it but it has autopilot which is amazing! I dont think I could live without it anymore. The fish finder that came with the boat is very temperamental and wouldnt mark fish so I mounted it on the trolling motor. Now I can see depth and some structure while bass fishing.

738088_n.jpg

I know I left parts out but you can always just ask questions.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I like it, nice boat project.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Definitely like that man, good work!!! When we going for sturgeon??

C
capblack
do you have a picture of the whole boat? nice work, but i think if i did that on my 12 fter it would be all deck:lol:

H
Hawk
You did a great job bro. I reely like it, & your work. :D:cool:

I have a 16' alumacraft lunker with windscreen & starboard steering console. A couple years ago i mounted a Minnkota 50lb thrust bowmount troller, foot control. I also mounted on the forward bench a comfortable seat with armrests, from an older boat. I'm an ol' mountain man & now enjoy the comfort. It works reel well for me. :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
C
Combat Chuck
capblack said:
do you have a picture of the whole boat? nice work, but i think if i did that on my 12 fter it would be all deck:lol:

003.jpg

C
capblack
i like the walk through design, is that a 16 fter?

G
GDBrown
It looks like you have more skill that you're willing to admit. You have done well with your project, I'm very impressed.

C
Cowboykid8
Beautiful boat! Nice job Chuck!

C
Combat Chuck
The split bench and flat floor are a HUGE plus, its a 15'

C
capblack
did you get rid of the drifter?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Seriously you should send some pictures to Smoker Craft. That's great work. If I owned that company I'd try to hire you for your workmanship and inginuity!

C
Combat Chuck
nope, I still got the drifter. Someday I will shrink down to just the smokercraft... just not yet. Thanks for the compliments, I hope this helps with other boat projects.

C
Combat Chuck
GraphiteZen said:
Definitely like that man, good work!!! When we going for sturgeon??

Well I tried you once! Hopefully they open it up soon and I will make more trips.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Just for the record, I got him into boats haha...

F
fishindude
Nice work , functionality as well as looking really nice:clap::dance::clap:

Troutski
Troutski
Great job....you do have skills. I love the Alaskan's...15' is great for two avid anglers..perfect for ONE;). Great job, thanks for sharing:clap::dance::clap:

Chuck

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice boat man! Work looks good! Curious how you like them downriggers? I hated mine. and they won't work for macs. with 100' of cable and a 4lb ball seemed i was only like 60' down. they did work ok for trout trolling up to about 40' though but not worth the hassle when i can just add led to my trolling gear. ended up seeling the 3 i had.

C
Combat Chuck
My downriggers are good so far. I havent gone past 50' yet and also troll very slow with my electric. I hear replacing the cable with braid reduces the blowback and is silent. I might try some of that.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Combat Chuck said:
My downriggers are good so far. I havent gone past 50' yet and also troll very slow with my electric. I hear replacing the cable with braid reduces the blowback and is silent. I might try some of that.

Reducing drag on the ball is important as well. Perhaps consider a different shape.