Building lures

C
Combat Chuck
Seems like a good place to ask this question... Ive just recently gotten into casting spinners and lures this year and they have become a favorite, thankfully kicking power bait down another notch. Now I'm getting interested in building them but I dont have a clue where to even buy the parts. What are some tips, including where to buy!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Ah yes. This post would be for all people on OFF. Past Adair on 99 there is a little tiny community that I think is called Suver. It literally consists of one intersection and three stores. You would never know it's there, but in the back of the irrigation store there is a great little bait shop that is owned by a guy that is a hell of a fisherman. Plaque after plaque of awards for tournament fishing. And he is a super nice guy. Right now he is having a sale. Super low prices, and a wall just packed with spinner making supplies. Hundreds of different blades and bodies. Wire, hooks the little bending tools everything. Also a wall of plastics. G-Loomis rods, and a bunch of nice bait casters so check it out. The first time I went in he gave me a $3.50 jar of Uncle Josh's pork bait just for coming in. And check out the 9 pound largemouth he pulled out of the Willamette :shock:

C
Combat Chuck
Alright! Thank you.. I do recall seeing something in that area but I would have never thought to stop in. Any guess on what hours they are open?

Troutski
Troutski
Fishermans Corner

Fishermans Corner

There is also a place in Philomath (spelling) just before you leave town heading toward the coast on the left called The Fishermans Corner. Just ask any one in town where it is and they will know....every thing you will need to build your own lures....great place.

Chuck

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I would go early afternoon. I don't know when he opens or closes but I have gone by at times when I though he would be there and he wasn't. As far as days, I imagine he's there mon-fri because he owns both the irrigation place and the baitshop. He's pretty busy with the irrigation side being in the middle of a lot of agricultural activity but he's cool with people so he leaves you there to look around at stuff. But for real I have never seen so much spinner material. He even has chrome and brass plated bullet weights for Texas rigging. I thought now THAT is cool. I picked up 3 Yamamoto spinner baits for $2.50 each marked down from $5.25, and various plastics for no more than 3 or 4 dollars a bag :D

C
Combat Chuck
I was afraid of that, I probably work the same hours he is open. Its the usual M-F 8-5... I live for the weekend!! I will try it some evening or a Sat. and hope for the best.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I'm going down on Monday to pick up some spinner stuff as I have been inspired to check out the craft (thx Troutski... ;)) I will get some hours for you and a phone number if possible. He mentioned he lives in Albany so I'm sure you could manage some sort of hookup. He seems to be that type of dude. The last time I dropped in I was in a big hurry to get to my destination before I lost too much daylight and ended up BSing with him for an hour and a half :lol:

C
Combat Chuck
The fishermans corner was open today so I grabed some gear and Im ready to go! So what works well for paint... and whats cheap and accessible. I know of powder coating, hobby paints and nail polish. My guess is that ill go for hobby paints, small quantity with many color choices.

Troutski
Troutski
Major purchase

Major purchase

I must admit I made a major purchase just after Christmas from Cabelas, I got my self a gift card and added my points along with some of my wifes money and picked up a ton of there dipping fluorescent paints with the primer and glitter. Man does it make lure look cool, and easy to use...need a well ventilated area to work in or suffer the worst headache...not to mention the blurred vision.;) Very cool stuff..

Chuck

C
Combat Chuck
I made the ugliest lure last night! haha... so I think Im gonna need something other than pliers to form the base near the hook. I mutilated that wire :think: oops!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You would get much better results with round end pliers. I don't know if they sell them at sports stores or not. If they sell them,they are probably fairly costly. :confused: You can get good quality ones at bead shops. Don't get the cheap ones, get good ones and they will last longer. You can also pick up bulk beads for a lot less moola. Spend what you save on more gear...:lol:
Barb

O
osmosis
the pliers that spinner makers use are called split ring pliers, and cost no more than $10. one of the two tips of the pliers is round and is how you make "eyes" right.. It takes some practice, and it's best to have someone experienced show you the right way.

Or you can buy the little thing you screw down to the table and twist them up.

Beads from crazy stores are sometimes good but a lot of time have too much buoyancy. Don't buy them in bulk until you test them out.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Well,the advantage to checking out the supplies in more than one place is variety. I'm more comfortable using tools I'm familiar with. I do know that bead stores sell a multitude of different pliers. Only a suggestion. Thanks for the info,Osmosis.
Barb

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks for the website,Zen. Looks like something a lot of us can use.
Barb

C
Combat Chuck
Raincatcher said:
For one thing, I know what the heck split ring pliers are.
But I didn't... he was probably just helping me out. I dont really think that was any kind of attack. :think:

O
osmosis
glad you saw it how it was combat chuck!
Sorry if I phrased something innapropriately raincatcher.

I was simply saying what the professionals use, Please use what you are comfortable with. I always think confidence in what you are doing is #1.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I thought split ring pliers were the ones with the little nub at the end for opening O-rings... Or are those just called O-ring pliers... :think: I need some because the rings I got in Suver are STIFF. Little ones but man the wire is so thick I can't even get a hook on using the ol' thumbnail trick...

O
osmosis
you're thinking of the right ones Graphitezen. the opposite side from the round tip is flat and has that 90degree bent point for opening the rings. Split ring pliers make changing hooks on plugs super easy, way better than destroying your thumb.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Yeah no kidding. My thumb hurts...

Troutski
Troutski
I would never buy a pair of split ring pliers for my self, thought they were a gimmick or something. I got a pair as a gift a few years back and now I have two, one at home and one dedicated to my boat. No more sore thumbs..:dance::dance:

Chuck