Building a new pond!

tomriker
we decided to build our very own pond that we can put a rope swing up in, and if any of you remember the big waterslide that used to be at swanson park in albany before they built the new one.. we bought it back then and have been storing it and are planning on putting that up too! we are only going to make it about 10-15 ft deep so it will be fairly shallow, but im digging holes 5-10 feet deeper in it so the fish can hide out in deep holes so it's not just a fish bowl! here is a before picture and what we will be using to do the pond
IMG_7643.jpg
IMG_6666.jpg

18406ej
Man, that is one long-armed excavator. Did you have to bring it in pieces?

tomriker
its a ridiculously long arm, and nope, its one piece it folds up on itself, so with a lowboy it's not a problem to move around

RunWithSasquatch
Pretty sweet, are you paying to have this done? Or do you have connection to some equipment?

Dont know much about the slide, or swanson park.

P.S. 10-15' deep ponds do require mega booms on track-ho's

tomriker
We have an airstrip on our farm and one of the guys that keeps his plane in one of our hangars happens to own a heavy equipment company and it's what he had Layin around. So we don't have to pay for any of it and he's doing it in exchange for hangar space and use of the airstrip. He said the long boom makes it easier because he can just sit in one spot and dig out most of it and just swing around and throw the dirt and not have to move the trackho

RunWithSasquatch
ill be excited to see how it turns out.

Finneus Polebender
RunWithSasquatch said:
ill be excited to see how it turns out.

Pool party at TRs LOL.... should be awesome can't wait to hit the slide.

tomriker
Hrm... Not sure how I feel about FP in a banana hamock....

RunWithSasquatch
tomriker said:

Legitimate issue.

skunk
Keep us informed on the progress. This looks like an exciting thread.

Fisher.King
I've always wanted to do this :D. What fish will you put in it?

tomriker
it will be a bass pond, none of those dirty trout :)

lilsalmon
tomriker said:

:D :yay:

lilsalmon
tomriker said:
it will be a bass pond, none of those dirty trout :)

I know...those damn trout....I hate that I love to target them and go out and hit the pristine, quiet clear water, the mountains, the wildlife, the dang trout that flies out of the water and grabs my dry fly....sheesh....I think I will start hanging out in a boat in a mucky, weed infested pond.

Finneus Polebender
lilsalmon said:

Dont worry was ten yrs old the one and only time I ever wore a speedo thought I was gonna go out for the swim team for a day, besides its bad enuff lookin at us ol farts in a regular swim suit . Will tell ya probably be the first "even if I am an ol fart " to do a back flip off your rope swing ,just make sure shes 15 feet deep . Too bad you couldnt stock it with some bruiser smallies or throw a few pike/ muskie in or somethin lol. just kidding thinkin some lm bass and cats to patrol the bottom maybe some panfish for bass food.

Finneus Polebender
lilsalmon said:
I know...those damn trout....I hate that I love to target them and go out and hit the pristine, quiet clear water, the mountains, the wildlife, the dang trout that flies out of the water and grabs my dry fly....sheesh....I think I will start hanging out in a boat in a mucky, weed infested pond.

Holy epiphany batman

tomriker
It's going to be connected to our lake so whatever is in there will be in the pond. It's the area behind the barn at my dads place FP. It maybe a nasty pond but it's private and I can take the jetskis out ski boats and fishing boats and do anything i please anytime I please and not have to deal with anyone :)

Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:
It's going to be connected to our lake so whatever is in there will be in the pond. It's the area behind the barn at my dads place FP. It maybe a nasty pond but it's private and I can take the jetskis out ski boats and fishing boats and do anything i please anytime I please and not have to deal with anyone :)

I bet the water at your place still has some clarity and its plenty clean enuff to swim in . That is great use for that spot being as it floods every year anyhow now it will just be deep . Went by the big pond here the other day and the owners kids were out jet skiing and boating nuthin better than a whole lake to yourself , and you wont even have to leave home!

tomriker
We should go fishing next weekend FP

Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:
We should go fishing next weekend FP

Absolutely:):) the topwater has been great at my place got the dahlberg frog tatered twice last night ! found out the little pond is full of bullfrogs and the bass are livin high on the hog man they are gettin fat! Its definitely time for some rats to go down too!

Top Bottom