Build it and they will come- for float fishermen

H

halibuthitman

so I have been toying with an idea for a while... one of the most productive nymphs I use for native steelhead in clear spring conditions is a ***** creek nymph... Ive always wondered how well a float fisherman would do with a jig tied in this fashion... so I ran to fred meyer and bought some danilson jig heads... sorry about the qaulity of the fly... im on my 5th jameson and 7-up.... this jig will slay;)

T

Throbbit _Shane

looks like something they would use on the rogue.

very cool!

S

skunk

Dude, that's awesome. Two points, I was just wondering what works for steel in clear conditions that i could tie up, and I made my own jig of sorts to use under a float also. If it actually works, I'll post it.

M

Moe

looks like it would slay em', but only one way to find out- go out there and catch a big a$$ fish!

H

halibuthitman

man its hard to weave chenille when your tatered! been tying x-caddis for 2 hrs, needed a change.. an interesting little fact, from january on the whole north coast has a huge population of these orange and black catapillars, using a b.*.*.*.h. creek nymph works awsome in low clear conditions becouse its a natural, kinda like beads or stoneflies... this nymph is a go to pattern on the necanicum after the nates show up and all the water dissapears.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fishingfreak

I just recieved my Fly Tying Kit Friday! I am all set to start tying Jigs, Nymphs, etc! I have to do some river R&D and get started soon. That looks like a killer jig! Good Luck i am interested on how they do!

M

Mad dog

I have no doubt that fly would destroy summer runs! I'm sure late winter low water fish will hammer it! We fish flies that look very similar in the summer....my go to summer run bait!

M

metalfisher76

I tie those in a fly for the Kalama. Kinda copied Wayne Pritchards, kinda. It`s a slayer!
I don`t think the feesh`ll care how many dranks ya had;)

B

bigsteel

***** creek is a nice tool fly pattern for the santiams as well,,lookin good

O

OnTheFly

Exellent placement of the rubber legs, the chenille looks great and the hackle ain't bad! I gotta get me some o' that Irish juice.

H

halibuthitman

Exellent placement of the rubber legs, the chenille looks great and the hackle ain't bad! I gotta get me some o' that Irish juice.

thanks jim.. I was sticking to x caddis because I use a lot of them and they are super easy.. even tatered, but the nymph on a jig.. which ive never done was funky... had to think upside down on everything-

G

GraphiteZen

You should be more sorry about the Danielson jigheads than the quality of the fly.. just my opinion.

H

halibuthitman

You should be more sorry about the Danielson jigheads than the quality of the fly.. just my opinion.

yeah, or even putting a jig head in my fly vice... but from what ive seen most jigs are condemed to die on deadline wires and in trees... so I wasn't gonna mail order heads from norway to tie a jig im just gonna end up giving to Brandon- if your pickin up what im putting down.. i mean its not some uv rattlinging micro jig thats been blessed by a Rabbi, its just a bunch of 35 yr old fly material and a 2 cent hook... probably will catch a fish on its first cast and die in a tree on its second.. oh the sad short noble life of a crappy jig from scappoose-

M

mrlindeman

I like the McGinty as well. That fly will trap anything

G

GungasUncle

I have been using fly tied jigs for years to fish trout and other species - works wonders. Same concept as a bead head or weighted wet fly - only difference is that they tend to ride horizontally in the water a bit better than the average fly - which can be good for the presentation. It also lets you fish a "fly" in waters where fly fishing would be a lot more difficult (after all, sometimes it IS about catching fish, and not just flogging the water, right?).

I'll bet that a clear water steelhead, or a big fat trout would gobble that jigfly up.

F

fish_4_all

I like it, many a fly pattern has found itself on a jig head for me and worked for different species. I don't know if the plain jig head is the best for the pattern but never know. Maybe a black head with some yellow dots could complete it really well.

B

bigsteel

i mean its not some uv rattlinging micro jig thats been blessed by a Rabbi, its just a bunch of 35 yr old fly material and a 2 cent hook...:lol:
Was it the burning tree your jig got hung up in??you know UV looks better in trees then chenille and rubber legs:) over half my material is from my fathers collection from the 80s..

T

Throbbit _Shane

i mean its not some uv rattlinging micro jig thats been blessed by a rabbi, its just a bunch of 35 yr old fly material and a 2 cent hook... Probably will catch a fish on its first cast and die in a tree on its second.. Oh the sad short noble life of a crappy jig from scappoose-

lol :)

T

Troutier Bassier

I could make that thing If I had the proper chenille. And it dose look killer for summers in clear water. I know they like darker colored jigs.

Top Bottom