Buena Vista road.

M
Mattdm22
Has anyone noticed a couple of ponds to the right of the road coming from Independence? My brother and I stopped to see how good it looked for bass. There was a few cars there fishing so we assumed it was public since there are no fences, signs, etc that would make it private. they said it was private but so would I if I was catching some hawgs out of there. So I was just wonderin if you guys by any chance been out there. Thank you!

Last edited:
F
Finneus Polebender
Mattdm22 said:
Has anyone noticed a couple of ponds to the right of the road coming from Independence? My brother and I stopped to see how good it looked for bass. There was a few cars there fishing so we assumed it was public since there are no fences, signs, etc that would make it private. they said it was private but so would I if I was catching some hawgs out of there. So I was just wonderin if you guys by any chance been out there. Thank you!

Not sure where you are talkin about If no fence or sign worst thing is you might get asked to leave . I try whenever possible to contact the owners for permission first ! sometimes due to location that info is not clear will usually fish it as long as nothin is posted and no fences or barriers are crossed .Good luck and if you know who the owner is just ask may take a while may not be this pond but if you persist you will eventually be rewarded. Oh and helps if you practice CPR most owners dont like their lakes/ponds drained of fish.

M
Mattdm22
I'm thinking it is owned by the Rock Quarry right across the street. The guy who shook his head yes when asked if private didn't say anything but shake his head so I don't think they were the property owners. I guess I'll talk with the quarry and see if they know.

F
Finneus Polebender
Mattdm22 said:
I'm thinking it is owned by the Rock Quarry right across the street. The guy who shook his head yes when asked if private didn't say anything but shake his head so I don't think they were the property owners. I guess I'll talk with the quarry and see if they know.

That is a good idea, also know there is a way "matter of public record" to find out by phys location the owner of any property in the state have a friend who knows the process.Would not be supprised at all if some local with permission would try to run you away from the honey hole! With one exeption the private ponds I fish took a lot of work to find and they are all watched like a hawk! I have also offered to return the favor in every case .To be able to fish waters that see little to no pressure , without crowds ,without looking over your shoulder, are you kidding worth every bit of time or sweat equity a guy puts in . Once again good luck , oh yeah google earth a helpful tool for ifnding streets/addresses, and all kinds of bassy oppertunity

Last edited:
M
Mattdm22
Thanks for the info man! I'll ask around and see what I turn up.

H
hick
If you can find out what jurisdiction (city of albany, benton county, linn county, city of independence, etc) the lake is in, then find out the parcel number and who's payin taxes on it. It works quite well, and you will also sometimes find that some so-called private lakes are actually publicly owned!

troutdude
troutdude
Hey bro, what I have to say comes from a BAD experience that I once had.

I was out looking for a place to go bird hunting that I had heard about. My buddy & I spotted a huge hole in a farmer's fence. There were NO SIGNS POSTED. So, we slid through that hole and got about 1/2 way across the field. We just happened to turn around, and a county mounty was coming our way. He motioned us to come back. We were placed UNDER ARREST FOR TRESSPASSING! And I repeat: there were no signs posted.

The law, in Oregon, does NOT require private property to be posted. So, proceed at your own risk!

Moral of the story: ALWAYS LOCATE THE LAND OWNER AND ASK PERMISSION. Or, you may find yourself in a world of hurt.

F
Finneus Polebender
troutdude said:
Hey bro, what I have to say comes from a BAD experience that I once had.

I was out looking for a place to go bird hunting that I had heard about. My buddy & I spotted a huge hole in a farmer's fence. There were NO SIGNS POSTED. So, we slid through that hole and got about 1/2 way across the field. We just happened to turn around, and a county mounty was coming our way. He motioned us to come back. We were placed UNDER ARREST FOR TRESSPASSING! And I repeat: there were no signs posted.

The law, in Oregon, does NOT require private property to be posted. So, proceed at your own risk!

Moral of the story: ALWAYS LOCATE THE LAND OWNER AND ASK PERMISSION. Or, you may find yourself in a world of hurt.

Keywords hole in fence! kinda said no barrier or fence let alone sign agree one must be careful and always best to ask first . A little common sense go a long way! Do not look to exploit any loop holes , but good luck prosecuting me when there are none of the above within human sight pretty sure I will recieve what I have always gotten asked to leave then will get permission or will not return!

Last edited:
M
Mattdm22
That sucks troutdude! I understand if I were to "slip" through a hole in a fence it would be trespassing but these ponds have no barrier of such and has a pull off and a dirt road going around it as if to say.. Come on in and catch some fish!

B
beaverfan
In Oregon there doesn't need to be any barrier. If you are on private property you can be charged with tresspassing. I would try contacting the rock quarry like you are planning on doing.

troutdude
troutdude
beaverfan said:
In Oregon there doesn't need to be any barrier. If you are on private property you can be charged with tresspassing. I would try contacting the rock quarry like you are planning on doing.

Thanks beverfan. That's what I was trying to say. Private Property does not have to be marked, and there also does not need to be any kind of barrier. If you are caught on private land, without permission...you ARE tresspassing.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
haha I think the whole concept of 'hole in the fence' denotes private property! That is funny though. Reminds me of a a time when I was a kid: My buddy and I trekked across a baseball diamond, waded across a river and into the farmer's field to get to a spillway we could see from our bikes on the road. There were fences and cows everywhere, we knew damn well what we were doing but remained smart about it by taking that particular route. We could have honestly told the owner we walked in from the baseball field and had noooo idea, we actually discussed this haha. So I proceed to catch an absolute mammoth trout (26 inches!!), and we move get the hell out of there as this fish was hard to hide! Well the quickest route to the highway, and off the private land differed from the route we took to get in and of course as soon as we got through the barbed wire we turn around and there are the signs: Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!! The works.... So we pretty much jogged all the way back to our bikes, I'm hauling/hiding this 10# fish in my backpack knowing full well that is we got pinched at the very least I would lose it to the land owner and as soon as we got back to the baseball diamond we were in the clear for we could claim I just caught it behind the diamond! Shaweeet haha!

T
tomriker
speeking of private property a field that we rent to farm has a nice pond/lake bordering it and the guy we rent from owns about 100yards out into the body of water, well we decided to fish it, since we had permission from the guy we rent from, well the other guy that owns the rest of the lake is a real piece of work, biggest dick you can immagin and he stocks the lake and all with trout and theres some nice bass in there too. so we fish it from the bank on our side, and he calls the cops on us. so sheriff comes out, we explain the situation he laughs and leaves cuz there's nothing to do. good times pissing off the neighbors :)

troutdude
troutdude
The jackass that called the cops, should've had to pay a fine for an erroneous call!

T
TTFishon
tomriker said:
speeking of private property a field that we rent to farm has a nice pond/lake bordering it and the guy we rent from owns about 100yards out into the body of water, well we decided to fish it, since we had permission from the guy we rent from, well the other guy that owns the rest of the lake is a real piece of work, biggest dick you can immagin and he stocks the lake and all with trout and theres some nice bass in there too. so we fish it from the bank on our side, and he calls the cops on us. so sheriff comes out, we explain the situation he laughs and leaves cuz there's nothing to do. good times pissing off the neighbors :)

That's funny and I know which pond you speak of. My mouth waters evrytime I drive by there.:)

T
tomriker
yeah, the guy with the house right on the water with signs posted everywhere that say no trespassing and no fishing. we didn't even really catch anything and only really did it to **** him off anyways :)

F
Finneus Polebender
Certainly dont need to go that far TR heck you barely gotta leave the house ! funny stuff could see the cop shakin his head now.

M
Mattdm22
GraphiteZen said:
haha I think the whole concept of 'hole in the fence' denotes private property! That is funny though. Reminds me of a a time when I was a kid: My buddy and I trekked across a baseball diamond, waded across a river and into the farmer's field to get to a spillway we could see from our bikes on the road. There were fences and cows everywhere, we knew damn well what we were doing but remained smart about it by taking that particular route. We could have honestly told the owner we walked in from the baseball field and had noooo idea, we actually discussed this haha. So I proceed to catch an absolute mammoth trout (26 inches!!), and we move get the hell out of there as this fish was hard to hide! Well the quickest route to the highway, and off the private land differed from the route we took to get in and of course as soon as we got through the barbed wire we turn around and there are the signs: Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!! The works.... So we pretty much jogged all the way back to our bikes, I'm hauling/hiding this 10# fish in my backpack knowing full well that is we got pinched at the very least I would lose it to the land owner and as soon as we got back to the baseball diamond we were in the clear for we could claim I just caught it behind the diamond! Shaweeet haha!

I read this earlier today and it reminded me of your story. I wonder if it's the same guy. :think:
Man Fired 8 Shots At Fishermen, Deputies Say - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland

M
Mattdm22
tomriker said:

I read this earlier today and it reminded me of your story. I wonder if it's the same guy.

Man Fired 8 Shots At Fishermen, Deputies Say - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland

M
Mattdm22
Quoted wrong post muh bad. lol