Brookings Ocean Fishing

R
Ralph10
I am taking my boat to Brookings for 5 days at the end of the month. I will be rock fishing and crabbing is there any Halibut or tuna I can target from there?

S
SailCat
Welcome to OFF, Ralph, from another newbie.

Halibut fishing is better from the central Oregon ports and tuna have been off the California coast but not yet as far as Brookings. I could happen if the warm water offshore connects to create a pelagic 'highway.'

Even if the albacore have not arrived by the end of the month, bottom fishing just outside Brookings harbor has been stellar and ocean crabbing has been the best on the coast.

Michael

R
Ralph10
Sounds good crab and rock fish always make for a great week.I check on the albacore whene i get there.:D

F
Fish Fight
The near shore halibut will be open but the all depth will most likely be closed. Like sailcat said it's getting close to when the tuna arrive but you might be a week or two early.

R
Ralph10
Thats ok I will be back again at end of July and end of august.Where would the closest Hali fishing be?How far out for Tuna?

S
SailCat
I'm not familiar with productive nearshore halibut areas off the Southwest coast.

Regarding how far out the tuna will be, unfortunately, that's up to the albacore. Last year out of northwest ports, it was anywhere from two to 60 miles. Any further and most would pass in favor of other quarry.

Keep an eye on Terrafin to determine when/whether the pelagic 'highway is developing. The free version is one day behind real-time.

R
RMGILES

Going to Brookings in late July​

All I need some help, I will be in Brookings for 5 days July 27 - 30th, and need to get out and go fishing for a day or 2. I can't figure out which River might have an early run Chetco, Rogue, Pistol. On top of that if someone has any ideas about what river any help with a location for wading or bank fishing would be fantastic.

Following my trip to Brookings, I will be deadheaded home to the Skokomish River for opening day for Kings!

Thanks in advance for any help in the Brookings area

B
beaverfan
Welcome to the site! An early run of what kind of fish?

R
RMGILES
Really any Salmon/Steelhead would do, i would think Kings would be getting close but i don't know. Coho's i would think don't come in until later, again i don't know.

I keep reading guides info and it seems they might be holding off shore in the bay's around that time. I was really looking for a you might get lucky if you go here... OR they will be hot and heavy here..

Thanks for the reply

N
Ntofishing
As far as I know that time is right near the end of the chinook run for the Rogue River. The Rogue dumps out in gold beach which is only a few miles north of Brookings. If you really want good info you can call the Tide Winds charter in Brookings, or call Jots Resort in Gold Beach.

R
Razz
Just a little early on the Smith but the Klamath estuary and Rogue estuary will have salmon. Chetco will be closed to salmon but you can catch BIG cuts around the 101 bridge little piece of bull head.

R
RMGILES
Good info i will double check the Rouge, so with the Jet Boats going up and down the river what the hell???

T
the salmon kid
I am going to Brookings this Sunday and I am going to try to fish for lingcod but I have no idea what to use from the bank can someone please help me.

Diehard
Diehard
sand shrimp drifted or plunked for sure i think jigs and clam necks work to good luck

B
beaverfan
Can't we use live bait in the ocean? If so I would get some sandshrimp and catch some smaller fish and then use the smaller fish as live bait that's the way I've always targeted them from charter boats. But definitely check the regs because I haven't looked to see if you can fish from shore with live bait. I've also caught them on white curly tail grubs but again that was from a boat.

T
the salmon kid
Ive herd of people casting anchovies from the bank does that work and someone els told me that plastic sardine or anchovies lures work too is that true

T
the_intimidator03
you can use live bait in the ocean and off jetties and i believe in bays as well.

T
the salmon kid
what about getting like a sardine and using it under a bobber?

B
BobbiDollPDX
Live herring, sardines or greenling. Any smaller rockfish will work. I've caught many lingcod hitched on to a Black Bass or Sea Trout.

I'm having Lingcod for dinner tonight!

A
Amberjack
Agree, Kelp Greenie is candy to Lings. This past summer, I foul hooked a greenie. Used a 2 oz jighead pinned it through the nose/lips and sent it down (keep it on the bottom) I hooked a 28" ling, followed by a monster Cabezon and then a 38" ling all on the same bait. Don't set the hook, as they are just swallowing the bait.

BTW Bobbie, I picked up 5 - 2 piece, 10' Allstar graphite rod blanks, if you are still interested. I also picked up another 180 various blanks as well, Lamiglas and Allstars.