Brooder Brook Trout St louis Pond

J

JTLunker

I arrived at the ponds around 9 and fished pond #1 with a bobber and worm and i switched to power eggs from the bottom. No luck. I saw a few trout caught around me so I knew they were there. At about 12 I saw a fish surface a little to my right so I grabbed my rod with a blue fox 2 tied on and on my first cast bam! A small trout but a sight for sore eyes, as I haven't caught a fish for months. I was happy and motivated to fish some more. I went to the pond with the intention of catching a Brook Trout. I read on the rec report they stocked pond #3 with 500 brood Brookies. I was throwing #2s with no luck, so I switched to a 1/8 Thomas Bouyant. I cast along the shore and reeled in slowly. After about ten min on pond #3 I caught my first Brook Trout. A real nice Hen about 15". The cell pic does this fish's color no justice. I was pumping my fist on that fish. Nothing else after that. A great way to knock the skunk of ya is to catch a new species.
Here is a pic
brookTrout-1.jpg

Troutski

Troutski

New species..

New species..

Very cool..a new species, on a very nice day. Nice to see you made it out thats half the battle.

Chuck

H

Hanapaa

Great report. Congrats on a new species. Sure is a beauty.

J

JTLunker

She was full of roe when I went to clean her. I thought about keeping the roe, but I don't know what to do with it. Anyone ever keep trout roe?

C

chris61182

She was full of roe when I went to clean her. I thought about keeping the roe, but I don't know what to do with it. Anyone ever keep trout roe?

I imagine you could cure it just like salmon eggs, and use it for bait.

A

Allee

Great info! Can you translate?

Great info! Can you translate?

What a great site - realize this is not the Fishing 101 site, but want to take advantage of your intel here :) can you tell me (from your report) what these are? :confused:

..."blue fox 2"
..."throwing #2s"
..."1/8 Thomas Bouyant"

thanks in advance - see you at the Ponds soon
:)

Scott Allee

G

GraphiteZen

Nice job! I have never caught a brookie myself but by sight they are my favorite species of trout. Is this up around Portland?

J

JTLunker

St Louis ponds are south of Woodburn about a fourtyfive minute drive from Portland. Thanks for explaining for me Anatoliy, and I was talking about throwing #2 blue fox;)

N

Noahk

That's a great looking fish! Forgive the newbie question but what exactly is a Brooder?

18406ej

A brooder is a mature trout that has been retained for two or three years by the hatchery in order to produce or fertilize eggs. After that period, they are released into the local waters in order to give us a thrill (which they do).

K

KaeMe01

These brooders get up there in size I seen one pulled out of salish that was about 32" long. Nice fish.... seen a couple more about that size caught on bait. From my count thats two baiting the bottom and one on a lure plus this one. We need more brooders.... Salish is about 5 minutes from portland in gresham.

B

BassLover.Z.

NICE FISH!

i think that the "throwing #2s" is a referance to the blue fox.

R

rainbowfisherman

i can never catch anything there

Last edited:
Admin

Admin

Admin
Hi rainbowfisherman & welcome to the Oregon Fishing Forum. You may want to try the Walling Pond (the corner of 16th and McGilchrest). There is rainbow trout there and it takes PowerBait :D

R

rainbowfisherman

that is so funny because we have benn there twice and tried worms and powerbait and not a single nibble

R

rainbowfisherman

we have been there twice and tried worms and powerbait without a single bite any other suggestions

18406ej

I have had good luck at Walling Pond using lures (primarily KastMasters in blue/silver) cast far out to the lake, with a slow retrieve.

You could also try Walter Wirth Lake which is near the Salem Airport (behind Walmart). It hasn't been stocked with trout foe a while, but there are good reports of bass and bluegill being caught there.

R

rainbowfisherman

hey thanks i will try that and get back to you

Last edited: