Broken prop..

M
Mike123
Watch out if your boating Foster resevoir! It's LOW and you need a navigator to look for stumps.. I smacked one and shattered my prop on my motor.
Had to row all the way across the lake, just to find that boat ramp was closed and then had to row all the way back. Blisters the size of grapefruits on my hands now. Not a fun time. Did find a BIG group of ducks though. Gonna try to put the hurtin on them tomorrow.

T
TTFishon
That sucks. Were you out fishing?

T
Thuggin4Life
I thought motors had shear pins and such to prevent driveshaft and prop damage. Are you saying the actually prop shattered into pieces?

M
Mike123
TTFishon said:
That sucks. Were you out fishing?
I was out duck hunting... lots of people fishing though.

Thuggin4Life said:
I thought motors had shear pins and such to prevent driveshaft and prop damage. Are you saying the actually prop shattered into pieces?

Yea that's what I thought! the shear pin just twisted and bent all up. The prop itself is fine but wear it attaches to the shear pin is just all broke off.

J
JeannaJigs
Ouch, I did this with the prop on my old boat at Odell on the east shore...very shallow..lots of rocks, fortunately was close to shore and the wind blew me right into it because rowing (especially on Odell) sucks. Blisters suck more. My hands are blistered so bad right now from rowing, lol, i better get used to it. Took the boat down the Mckenzie yesterday, and lived to tell about it, dry even. So was it just the sheer pin that broke, or did you hit so hard other components broke in there too?

M
Mike123
"The shear pin just twisted and bent all up. The prop itself is fine but wear it attaches to the shear pin is just all broke off."

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
"The shear pin just twisted and bent all up. The prop itself is fine but wear it attaches to the shear pin is just all broke off."

word. I was reading fast and missed that lol.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
word. I was reading fast and missed that lol.

LOL... it's ok.. :D:lol:

Gotta extra prop laying around??? :)
Or a 10hp or bigger motor!?
I have a 5.5hp now and it is gutless... I want to get to the hunting/fishing spot a little faster. :lol:

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
LOL... it's ok.. :D:lol:

Gotta extra prop laying around??? :)
Or a 10hp or bigger motor!?
I have a 5.5hp now and it is gutless... I want to get to the hunting/fishing spot a little faster. :lol:

We have an oldddddddd school 1963 sea king 6 horse lol. It hauls for a 6, but that boat is rated for up to a 25 horse Lol can't imagine putting that big of a motor on it tho. I need a 5.5 or 6 horse long shaft for my drift boat this summer for lake useage. I might actually have an extra prop...but I dont know that it would work for yours or not? I'll have to check to see if it's still in the garage, did some cleaning and i was contemplating tossing it but thought i held onto it.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
We have an oldddddddd school 1963 sea king 6 horse lol. It hauls for a 6, but that boat is rated for up to a 25 horse Lol can't imagine putting that big of a motor on it tho. I need a 5.5 or 6 horse long shaft for my drift boat this summer for lake useage. I might actually have an extra prop...but I dont know that it would work for yours or not? I'll have to check to see if it's still in the garage, did some cleaning and i was contemplating tossing it but thought i held onto it.

Holy crap! Let me know what size it is! I will trade you something valuable or buy it from you!

My boat is rated for 10hp... but it could handle 15hp :D

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Holy crap! Let me know what size it is! I will trade you something valuable or buy it from you!

My boat is rated for 10hp... but it could handle 15hp :D

Serves no purpose for me now, so you can just have it if it works. i'll check it out. What size do you need? 15 hp would be sick on a smaller boat. you fish the alsea right? i might trade you for info on that lol. I'm gonna be taking my boat up there sometime in December I think, actually, probably January since i'm gonna be super busy between now and then. I took it down the McKenzie yesterday...I'm hooked. So fun. So now i just need to get on some rivers that have winter fish and word on the street is the Alsea is a good drift?

T
Thuggin4Life
I have a 6 for sell thats not gutless. And my boat is rated for 7.5 and have a 9.9 on it now and it could handle a 15.

M
Mike123
Thuggin4Life said:
I have a 6 for sell thats not gutless. And my boat is rated for 7.5 and have a 9.9 on it now and it could handle a 15.

Well I got a 5.5 so that would only be .5hp more.. :lol:

I want double the power I have already. :D:dance:

M
Mike123
jeannajigs said:
serves no purpose for me now, so you can just have it if it works. I'll check it out. What size do you need? 15 hp would be sick on a smaller boat. You fish the alsea right? I might trade you for info on that lol. I'm gonna be taking my boat up there sometime in december i think, actually, probably january since i'm gonna be super busy between now and then. I took it down the mckenzie yesterday...i'm hooked. So fun. So now i just need to get on some rivers that have winter fish and word on the street is the alsea is a good drift?

pm sent

T
TTFishon
T
Thuggin4Life
Mike123 said:
Well I got a 5.5 so that would only be .5hp more.. :lol:

I want double the power I have already. :D:dance:

yeah going from 6 to 9.9 you can tell the difference. thought maybe you ment the 5.5 was on its last legs. there is a guy selling 3 merc 15 ss 2 cylces for a grand apiece on eugene craigslist.

M
Mike123
Thuggin4Life said:
yeah going from 6 to 9.9 you can tell the difference. thought maybe you ment the 5.5 was on its last legs. there is a guy selling 3 merc 15 ss 2 cylces for a grand apiece on eugene craigslist.

Thanks for the info!

T
Thuggin4Life
Mike123 said:
Thanks for the info!

I have his number if you want it. I was looking into the posibility of puting my 9.9 hood on a 15 to be 007 about having a bigger motor.