Broken Bridge at YellowBottom

C
chillfish420
does anyone know when that creek will be stocked with trout?

troutdude
troutdude
You can view the stock schedule online on the ODFW web site. Willamette Zone - South Watershed District.

First stocking, the week of 5/17...although it is open for trout on April 24th.

C
chillfish420
awesome thank you. i was up there last year the day after they stocked and the fishing was amazing. i didn't realize they stocked it five or six times throughout the summer though

troutdude
troutdude
I love that place, very beautiful area!

Once, about 10 years ago, I caught and released around 60 trout in one day...no joke...I had friends as witnesses! We fished under what I call the "2nd bridge" (the one just up from Yellow Bottom). There is an orange colored bar / gate that keeps you from crossing the bridge.

Beware, there are SCORPIONS in that area. NO KIDDING, I almost stepped on one about 15 years ago. I'm not sure if they are poisonous or not (not too likely that they're deadly).

Other than that, it is one of my favorite "local" places to go.

BTW, there is a run of Salmon (chinokanees) that run up that creek. But, I think it is illegal to keep them.

C
chillfish420
i camped literally on the broken bridge and was fishing the water from there up past the waterfall. i believe you about 60 fish, i would have said more though haha i got tired of throwin rooster tails and catchin em every cast so me and my buddies started throwin bare hooks and still catching them. its insane how much hatchery fish will bite on.
did you ever go up to the mine? there is crickets the size of a sand dollar up there.

troutdude
troutdude
chillfish420 said:
i camped literally on the broken bridge and was fishing the water from there up past the waterfall. i believe you about 60 fish, i would have said more though haha i got tired of throwin rooster tails and catchin em every cast so me and my buddies started throwin bare hooks and still catching them. its insane how much hatchery fish will bite on.
did you ever go up to the mine? there is crickets the size of a sand dollar up there.

OK, it was really 70 or 80.:lol::lol::lol:

I don't know which one if "Broken Bridge". And, I don't know where the mine is either.

Yep, I caught most of them on a rooster tail too. But, they also hit power bait, worms, eggs, 'mellows and even bare hooks at Yellow bottom.

Have a good one.

C
chillfish420
"broken bridge" is off to the left of the road. its just an old bridge that collapsed and never got cleaned up. and the mine is at the top of the mountain. its a long hike haha.

T
Troutier Bassier
Dose anybody have pics? And can someone give me a location? Im really intrested...

troutdude
troutdude
Chillfish, can you tell T.B. how to get there? (I still don't know where either of those places are either). Maybe you can send a mapquest link or ???

C
chillfish420
well what i know is you drive like your going to green peter but keep going. you drive the winding road towards quartzville. its past the quartzville creek site but not to the town itself. all i remember is it took probably half an hour to 45 minutes after green peter to get up there. when i go up this month to scout around ill take some pics and give ya better directions =D

troutdude
troutdude
That sounds good to me. Thanks Chill.

BTW, welcome to OFF!

W
watchout trout
Take yer pan. There be gold in them waters! Arrrrr!

C
chillfish420
thanks troutdude.
shall i grow out a mountain man face bush and wear big ole suspenders with flannel while im pannin for gold watchout? haha =D

W
watchout trout
That's how I do it! Ha ha Great memories of going up that windy road and catching lots of trout as a kid. My dad would take his pan and I'd be all excited to see a few colors once in a while. Beautiful country.

K
Kodiak
TB Ic ould show ya, but then...as the saying goes....I'd have to snuff ya!jk....It's up past sweet home on the south fork of the santiam. I usually only make it up there if I limit early at the hatchery. There are some monster cutts in there ( 25"+) if you know where to look.

C
chillfish420
ya i saw a couple of those monsters. but with everything i tried they just looked at and wouldnt touch... it was very frustrating haha.
and i think windy is a little bit of an understatement for that road =D

S
Sage_Flyguy
the bridge you guys are reffering to is about 30 miles up from hwy 20... its the old bridge that washed out during a flood many years ago.. I was just up there yesterday and right now that little creek is blown out.. here this last week the snow level dropped quite a bit you will hit little sciffs of snow heading up there right now and that little creek is moving awefully swift.. Later in the year I hit a spot thats been good to me just above the 25mile marker.. I only fly fish it now and have left some posts on a Quartzville thread