Broke in the Nucanoe this afternoon

T
TimberTodd
I was on the water about 2 this afternoon. I bought my Nucanoe 2 weeks ago and this was its maiden voyage. I paddled to Scoggins arm with a headwind the whole way. The Nucanoe handled well though. The trouble started as I started casting. The wind kept blowing me into the shore. Im gonna pick up an anchor before the next trip. I was able to keep the flyline out long enough to catch a bluegill though. The wind won out so I just paddled and enjoyed being on the water.
Todd

L
lilsalmon
Is it still a Nucanoe after you have had it for like, say, a year...:D

Sorry, couldn't resist....sounds like you will have fun with it...congrats on its maiden voyage

S
skunk
lilsalmon said:
Is it still a Nucanoe after you have had it for like, say, a year...:D

Ahhhhh, look at what you did, made a funny!!! Nice.

troutdude
troutdude
I've wondered if anyone on here owns a Nucanoe. There's a dude in Salem who sells and / or rents them. Is that where you got yours TT?

T
TimberTodd
Hey Troutdude, yes I went down and he took me out for a demo in a 12'. He set it up with 2 swivel seats and I took it out by myself and then with him in it to see how it handles with 2 people.
Lilsalmon I think it will all depend on how many times I can get away to use it in the first year.
Todd

troutdude
troutdude
That sound pretty neat Todd. But, let's see ya plop a 150 hp Merc on the back end. I'll bet you'll be "on plane" in no time flat! LOL

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the tip Noahk. I will look into one.
Todd

H
Hendo30
congrats on the maiden voyage. I am actually in the market for a canoe myself. Been looking for about 2 months now but want to be sure I get a stable one I am 6ft and 260lbs so I need to feel stable out on the water. But once again congrats! Maybe we will cross paths this summer Canoe Races!

Troutski
Troutski
Great day on the water...

Great day on the water...

Congratulations on your Maiden Voyage, and no Skunk !! Priceless:cool: .
The size of ones Craft dictates the amount of cash necessary to fill it with accessories;) .

Chuck

T
TimberTodd
Hendo I am up for the canoe race only if I can figure out how to mount the 150 Merc. on the back as Troutdude suggested.
Todd

T
TimberTodd
Chuck you are so correct in your statement. All I need is enough room for my rod,tackle bag, net, paddle and diet coke.
Todd

I
indyflyer
Congrats on the nucanoe, I looked closely at them and they are versatile for sure. But being a kayak fisherman I felt the wind could be a problem due to high in the water profile and maybe not particularly fast when paddling. But a stable platform, especially for a large sized person. I forgot my anchor last time at Hagg and yeah the wind just pushed my 'yak around too much for effective casting so I trolled for awhile and enjoyed the day.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Congrats on the new canoe, er, nucanoe :)

I've had a Coleman Scanoe now for about 2 months and lovin it every chance I get to take it out. Last time we went to the lake, I forgot the paddles :( so it stayed strapped to the jeep all day.

If you're looking for cheap anchors for the canoe (meaning you don't want to plop down $20+ for an anchor) - hit up good will and find some free weights - something 5+ lbs ought to work fine, 10lb if you really want to be sure of holding (I weigh 285lb, and a single 5lb anchor held me just fine. Did fine too when I added my nephew, who is about a buck fifty) - I have two of these anchors (one for the bow, one for the stern, when I want to really hold position without being flipped around by the wind) - no problems yet. I went with the free-weight anchor solution originally because I couldn't find my mushroom anchor, and using the heavy fluke anchors from my big boat seemed...overkill... for the canoe. I've since found the mushroom, but I'm not in a huge hurry to replace the free weight anchors at this point, because they work well enough. I am considering mounting a pair of anchor pullies - one on the bow, and an off-set stern one (I've got a square-transom model, for mounting a trolling motor on) with maybe some cleats under the center seat.

Fisherman's Marine was/is selling Danielson clamp on metal rod holders for about $5, so I picked one up to try out. Will probably purchase more if it works well enough. It looks like it will hold either a spin or a fly rod, which is great. I can troll little plugs for trout & bass on the spin rod, or troll a woolly bugger with the fly rod and not have to be messing with it's position, or have it in the way of paddling.