"Brilliant idea" or "way over on the shady side of stupid???"

F
Fumus
Read a post/watched video by OFF member PK YI from 2014, where he and a friend were fishing the Coos Bay area for rock fish from an inflatable raft. From what I could tell, his raft seems very similar to mine, and that got me to thinking "hey, maybe I could try that." I'm putting a plywood floor in my raft and would probably use the same seating arrangement as Yi ( boards/bench across the top of main outer air chamber of the raft). One thing I wasn't able to discern from the video was if he had a motor mounted on his raft or not. I'm strictly oars at this point. Obviously pfd's and rescue whistles would be worn at all times, and wind and water would have to be calm or no go. Also would have to be in more protected inshore areas. So, since I make no claims of being a sea savvy sailor, my questions for those who are more knowledgeable about boats and brine are: 1) Does this inflatable raft and oars for rock fish idea even seem feasible, or am I campaigning for a Darwin award? 2.) Does anyone have any suggestions for protected inshore areas to chase rockfish on the south coast (Reedsport to Coos bay)? In the comments for the video YI said they were fishing the north spit area of Coos Bay. 3.) Has anyone heard from PK YI recently?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions or illuminations.
-Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Chromatose
Chromatose
Why not PM PK from here?
Or
Send him a message from youtube?

Reactions: troutdude
C
cchinook
Fumus said:
Read a post/watched video by OFF member PK YI from 2014, where he and a friend were fishing the Coos Bay area for rock fish from an inflatable raft. From what I could tell, his raft seems very similar to mine, and that got me to thinking "hey, maybe I could try that." I'm putting a plywood floor in my raft and would probably use the same seating arrangement as Yi ( boards/bench across the top of main outer air chamber of the raft). One thing I wasn't able to discern from the video was if he had a motor mounted on his raft or not. I'm strictly oars at this point. Obviously pfd's and rescue whistles would be worn at all times, and wind and water would have to be calm or no go. Also would have to be in more protected inshore areas. So, since I make no claims of being a sea savvy sailor, my questions for those who are more knowledgeable about boats and brine are: 1) Does this inflatable raft and oars for rock fish idea even seem feasible, or am I campaigning for a Darwin award? 2.) Does anyone have any suggestions for protected inshore areas to chase rockfish on the south coast (Reedsport to Coos bay)? In the comments for the video YI said they were fishing the north spit area of Coos Bay. 3.) Has anyone heard from PK YI recently?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions or illuminations.
-Bill
I will alert the Coast Guard before you go .

troutdude
troutdude
@Fumus if you use the "at" symbol just like I did, it will tag @PK Yi so that he will hopefully get your message via email forwarding. However I haven't seen him on here, as mentioned, in a long while.

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
Check YouTube. He responds to comments on his channel Oregon Life

plumbertom
plumbertom
You'd need be a strong rower to not get carried away by the current some days.
But a low HP motor would do the trick.

Reactions: rogerdodger and troutdude
Top Bottom