Brand new to bass fishing

K
Kais
Hey guys, i just joined the forum today, and when fishing today in estacada (limited out:)). I haven't fished for anything but rainbow trout all my life. I want to get into some bass fishing. What I want to know is EVERYTHING.
Places (near Columbia)
Gear
How
What
Thanks...​

T
Throbbit _Shane
Today a caught a bunch of bass on panther martins it was fun!! i too would like to learn how to catch them.

T
todd
plastic worms.green and structure

K
Kais
Can I just use a regular fishing pole (like the one for trout)? And what is structure?

T
TTFishon
Go get yourself some 7" green pumpkin Berkley Power Worms, some Gamakatsu off set shank worm hooks size 1 or 2/0, check out you tube to learn how to rig and get out and fish. Set up weedless you can cast these worms into weeds and/or structure without out getting hung up. This is a simple basic setup to use that works well. Of course, as with most fish species, there are many other techniques to use, but this will help you get started.

B
bigdog
Kais said:
Can I just use a regular fishing pole (like the one for trout)? And what is structure?
Yeah the rod for trout should be just fine. Whith bass take many different things to go after them with. Plastic baits, jigs, lures, worms and what ever you can think of. They are fun fish and in my opion good eating to when cooked right. I mainly go after the small mouth bass out in the cascade locks area but there are plenty of ponds and lakes that they are in.

CJ

T
TTFishon
Kais said:

Yeah, I use my spinning rod which I use for trout also. Structure is where bass like to hang out. Rocks, a fallen tree in the water, bushes, pretty much where baitfish hang out bass aren't too far away.

K
Kais
Thanks for all the advice guys, I am new to the forum, but anyway, what's a structure

B
bigdog
Structure= trees docks and any under water structure they can hide under or in.

CJ

K
Kais
Thanks Guys, I'm gonna take ll of this new advice and try out some bass fishing!

F
Finneus Polebender
TTFishon said:
Go get yourself some 7" green pumpkin Berkley Power Worms, some Gamakatsu off set shank worm hooks size 1 or 2/0, check out you tube to learn how to rig and get out and fish. Set up weedless you can cast these worms into weeds and/or structure without out getting hung up. This is a simple basic setup to use that works well. Of course, as with most fish species, there are many other techniques to use, but this will help you get started.

This w/a med action 6-7ft pole mid range spinnin reel I prefer 8lb quality mono most go 6-10 lb. Big ones tend to bust anything under 8. This setup will run a number of bait setups for a starter as you progress if ya like the bass will want to move into bait casting setups lg baits to target lg fish.like TT said try that first pretty much a bass staple if ya dont like that you wont catch large numbers of bass. Definitely the # 1 bass catcher for me.

D
Drice
I would say it may sound silly but watch those fishing shows like Bill dance and the other bass shows on TV, You tube is another great treasure trove of tactics and teaching. Think of bass like you are playing with a cat that likes to hide. Sometimes the most effective presentation is what they call dead sticking( just letting the lure sit without moving it, upto 30sec or more).Other times they like it buzzing accross the top at mach 3. For gear I personally like my 7' ultra light ugly stick and my baitcaster is loaded with 30# power pro ( its the diameter of 8# mono) for my primary rod but I keep a spinning setup with 10# florocarbon just incase i want to throw something a little lighter weight. Bass are not usually line shy so you can use as heavy line as you like I personally favor braid just to prevent retying or break offs when you run across a log or get tangled in the brush and it slices through weeds not beacuse Im afraid of breaking fish off. The pros all use50-65# braid with a heavy to extra heavy rod but personally my livelyhood doesn't depend on me landing all my fish and to me that takes the fun out of it when your rod can double as a winch for your truck if you get stuck on the way fishin.

Last edited:
F
Finneus Polebender
Snuck out to good ol dead kitty pond for a couple hours tonight . Switched up baits played for an hour and a half no luck. decided to go back to the basics , still no results. Wind picked up clouds grew ever darker , I decided to start headin in. As i slowly paddled through a narrow part saw some movement by a log . Without a thought I grabbed the spinnin rod and pitched a perfect cast right where the action was . Sure nuff boink boink I set the hook and it was on nice 2-3 lb er got him right up to the boat and like a bad case of dejavu he was gone ! A bit dejected and excited all at once I slowly paddled towards home . Then it caught my eye a nice inlet in some submerged trees w/a log floatin right at the V. Well you know me ! 1 more cast ! unbelievebale boink boink just the lightest little tap. Still pissed from the last incident I took out a bit of aggression on this guy set the hook like i meant it! Bam zzzzzzzzzzzzz the drag peeled off this was a nice one!! Line stopped felt two-three good head shakes and zzzzzzz a second run the line came to a stop and it was jerk ,jerk then my heart sank as the line went limp!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reeled her in bait all coiled up around the ol gamakatsu 3/0 baitshank hook. Oh buddy was I bummed . Took a couple minutes shook it off and tried the rest of the way out w/ no luck. Just gettin a chance at these brutes is awesome even if ya loose some!!!The moral to this story is, go weedless and go into the cover, 5 different baits thrown 2 fish hooked and I bet you can guess on what !!!! Oh and thank you Raincatcher I am startin to catch some fish again well sorta!!! Oh and TT ,I know where your overdue big one is hiding!!!

Last edited:
S
SpencerWatts
Kais said:
Hey guys, i just joined the forum today, and when fishing today in estacada (limited out:)). I haven't fished for anything but rainbow trout all my life. I want to get into some bass fishing. What I want to know is EVERYTHING.
Places (near Columbia)
Gear
How
What
Thanks...​

hey... if u EVER want to go fishing i can take u out on the boat. ive taken people out before who've never fished and i love teaching people the life of bass fishing. just let me know when and where and ill be there! ive got tooonnnss of extra rods and boat space so its up to u =)