Brand fishing new!

Hello everyone,

As the title suggest, I'm not only new to this forum but I'm pretty darn new to fishing... ish.

Background story: as a kiddo, I used to go fishing with my uncles and cousins up in Washington for rock fish and halibut, as well as dropping crab pots. I was born and raised in this beautiful state of Oregon, and I never thought to give fishing a try. It was not until late this summer that I was asked to go trout fishing at Hagg Lake, and voila, a spark of interest!

So much to try! Salmon, steel head, surf, jetty fishing... I would love to give it all a go!

Any pointers to a complete novice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

pinstriper

Hagg is a great place for lots of different fishing. Panfish, trout, bass.

Surf fishing is also very low barrier to entry. It is the ultimate bank fishing.

Steelhead and salmon starts to be a bigger step up with a lot more gear and more expensive gear. Even from the bank.

Which is not to discourage you, just to give you an idea of sequence to get into,

Thanks for the reply!

My next step will probably be surf fishing, as I do head out to the coast often enough to go clamming. It would be a good excuse for me to finally get me some waders. :)

pinstriper

A.Train88;n614954 said:
Thanks for the reply!

My next step will probably be surf fishing, as I do head out to the coast often enough to go clamming. It would be a good excuse for me to finally get me some waders. :)
In the summer you can do without waders. This time of year, be very careful about the water being rough.

Irishrover

Welcome to the forum. If you like clamming your going to like surf fishing. Most of the time folks who surf fish are after perch. Good luck.

troutdude

Welcome to the crazy train A.Train88. There is a TON of valuable information, in our archived threads. Give 'em a look as time "permits".

Tight lines and happy trails,

TD

Welcome aboard atrain! I grew up here and have caught almost every type of fish you can here (only missing halibut tuna and a few other not as common offshore species). Unlike some of the people here that fish from both a boat and bank I do pretty much everything from the bank. If you want to get to everything here is the way I'd suggest stepping your way up. This progression is mainly going from cost of gear and difficultly from cheapest to most expensive and easiest to most challenging.
1. Panfish
2. Trout (stocked)
3. Catfish
4. Bass
5. Trout (wild)
6. Surf Perch
7. Jetty Fishing bait (targeting small bass, greenling, perch)
8. Shaker sturgeon (there are some spots all I've ever caught are shakers good places to start for sturgeon)
9. Jetty Fishing artificial lures (targeting bass and lingcod)
10. Sturgeon keeper sized (there is 1 spot I've caught tons of sturgeon between 15-50" and never anything over good next step)
11. Sturgeon Oversized (West Linn very snaggy takes some getting used to but very big fish)
12. Salmon big river
13. Salmon small river
14. Steelhead

I may have missed a few but thats what I was able to come up with off the top of my head. 12-14 can kinda be lumped all together but I put steelhead beyond salmon because I have always found them to be much more finicky biters and a little more difficult to get to commit compared to salmon. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. Good luck go catch some big ones!