Braided Line Question

G
greenhorn
What are the thoughts on braided line for a new spinning rig for steelhead and salmon? I've never used it and have a new reel to rig. Seems logical for smaller with more strength. Anyone use it and found negative to that theory?

B
bigdog
greenhorn said:
What are the thoughts on braided line for a new spinning rig for steelhead and salmon? I've never used it and have a new reel to rig. Seems logical for smaller with more strength. Anyone use it and found negative to that theory?

There are the good points to it and the bad just like anything you use out there..
It is stronger with a much smaller size to it, this will make it to where you can cast like you are running 8-12 pound line. Now being on the subject of how strong it is this can also be a down fall at the same time as being good. Think of when you get snaged up with 15 pound line and how hard it can be to brake it loose, now think about that with some 50 or even 100 pound test braided. Yeah that can be fun sometimes.

Now as for if you ever fish this great winter fishery we have look out for them really cold days like we have been having here, this braided line retains water very well and can tend to freeze and I mean freeze to the point where it all freezes to your reel and you not only can't cast it but it gets stiff and is like trying to use a twig off a tree as line.

Then there is the other down fall I have found, seems to like to nott up from time to time when you cast it out. Myself never seeming to be to hard to get it unnotted but frustrating when you are trying to fish.

The other thing to keep in mind is the nott tying you have to do there is only one not that I have found that works good with it and that is the palmer nott. all others don't seem to work very good.

I hope this helps you out and that you are able to decide on whay you want to go with. Good luck

C
chris61182
My 2 cents is that braid of equal strength to mono is actually easier to break because you don't have to overcome the stretch first. Of course there's the apparence of a difference because you can use 20lb braid of equal diameter to 6 or 8lb mono and yeah there will be a major difference in difficulty of breaking off :).

Troutski
Troutski
Distance...

Distance...

It is my opinion that the small diameter allows for much more distance when casting with braided line; along with its ability to not absorb water makes it lighter on the reel - which makes a real difference when casting all day.
I also like the knots used with braided line.

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
If you can manage a braid drift fishing, you will have the ultimate sensitivity. The only strech you will have is in the leader. It is an advantage for sure, but I go through so much line, it would cost me an arm and a leg to replace braid half as often as I replace mono. Only reason I don't run it I think. And, yeah, the knots that braids recommend using are pretty cool. But if you do tie braid to say a swivel or spinner using a clinch knot, you must make sure, that it is perfectly "stacked." If the knot doesn't look perfect, just clip and re-tie.

B
bigdog
Now where is everyone looking at this the only nott I have seen them recomend for braid was the palmer nott I do like the palmer nott simple but very good and effective for the most part
Am I not using the right braided decause mine seems to absorb water to me?

Troutski
Troutski
Berkley...

Berkley...

bigdog said:
Now where is everyone looking at this the only nott I have seen them recomend for braid was the palmer nott I do like the palmer nott simple but very good and effective for the most part
Am I not using the right braided decause mine seems to absorb water to me?

I use Berkley products for my braided line and it is water repellent, cabelas has a comparison chart on the braided lines; very helpful.

Chuck

M
meluvtrout
Is there a comparison or a conversion chart between braided and mono?
e.g 10# mono = XX# braided

F
Fishtopher
I would guess your talking line diameter...My 50# Tuff-Line XP braid is the same diameter of my Maxima 12# UltraGreen mono. I'll check around and look for a conversion chart. I saw one not long ago, but forgot to mark it as a favorite.:doh:

M
meluvtrout
Yup, I was referring to the diameter. I'm thinking about moving to 20# Pro main and 10# mono leader on one of my spools.

F
FishSchooler
meluvtrout said:
Is there a comparison or a conversion chart between braided and mono?
e.g 10# mono = XX# braided

Braided line is 3 or 4 times stronger than mono line if they are the same diameter.

N
ninja2010
greenhorn said:

i switched over to using braids exclusively after trying it out once several years ago. i've tried many, many brands and settled on powerpro. but i might try the sufix one when it's time to respool any of my reels.

i find that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, imho. aside from the obvious strength to diameter advantage, here are some of my other observations.

braid has little to no stretch so hooksets are a breeze. you don't need to swing like a samurai warrior, just lifting the rod tip would suffice in many cases. by the same token, the no stretch makes it a very sensitive line - you feel every bump and wobble. very effective for finesse and cranking. braid has very little memory so occurences of line/spool twists on spinning reels are way fewer. braids with good coatings absorb minimal water so there's no disadvantage there. the coatings and small line size also keeps the braid from getting abrasion knicks and kinks and that's why they would last much longer than mono. so you don't have to keep respooling, cheaper in the long run.

however, if you get a wind knot or backlash (baitcasters) they are a bitch to undo. maybe that sez something about the knot strength - they get really tight and don't slip easily. some braids' coatings/color rub off so it looks yucky on the reel, like a greying "old guy". then again, that usually signals it's time to trim the line, usually the first 5-10 feet, which is a good practice anyways on any line as that part of the line gets the most stress. and you gotta check that the guides on your rod can handle braids. some braids that aren't very round can be abrasive on the cheaper guides.

one last thing, braid can be noisy when you cast and/or reel as they pass through the guides. it takes getting used to if you just switched from mono.

my two cents...:D

M
meluvtrout
Oh man! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

N
ninja2010
anytime...

F
FishSchooler
Woah, that stuff is strong! 80 dang lbs in 17 lb mono diam! And 8 in 1! If only it were possible that it were transparent/translucent....... then that would be bye bye to mono foeva! :D

C
chris61182
FishSchooler said:
Woah, that stuff is strong! 80 dang lbs in 17 lb mono diam! And 8 in 1! If only it were possible that it were transparent/translucent....... then that would be bye bye to mono foeva! :D

Berkely apparently does, I think it's their Fireline Crystal (or so I remember). Granted it doesn't have fluorocarbon's index of refraction but it's better than not translucent at all.

N
ninja2010
chris61182 said:
Berkely apparently does, I think it's their Fireline Crystal (or so I remember). Granted it doesn't have fluorocarbon's index of refraction but it's better than not translucent at all.

yah, berkley has that but it's neither here nor there. i prefer to tie fluoro leader for finesse. fluoro is also low stretch so sensitivity is not compromised.

F
FishSchooler
ninja2010 said:
yah, berkley has that but it's neither here nor there. i prefer to tie fluoro leader for finesse. fluoro is also low stretch so sensitivity is not compromised.

I know but if you could use 30 lb braid for your leader and it would be as thin as 5 lb mono, that would be awesome. :dance::dance::cool::D:clap: Catch salmon, trout, steelhead, bass, shad and so on on the same type of line! :dance::clap::cool::D;):yay:

F
fyshslayer
greenhorn said:
I use braid a lot mainly for Sturgeon, Halibut & Salmon,when it first came out I tried to use it for fishing up river for Salmon & Steelhead my experience has been that it is very strong but it cuts off on rocks very easy. I was float fishing
on the Alsea near 5 Rivers and got hung up on some bedrock and the 65lb Tuff cut like butter and I lost everything bobber and all. So I use mono for steelhead & Salmon when fishing upriver,although I plan on trying the new Hydrofloat line by P-Line for float fishing...Good Luck