Braided fishing line

F
fishtales
I was thinking about buying some braided line for my new pole. Is it pretty easy to cast with or am i better off with something else. I'm planning to use it off the jetty or doing surf perch off the beach.

N
nwkiller
you should be fine, i use braided for coho in the ocean every year, and the green braid blends with the water well, and has less "rub, break" tendency...good luck, tight lines

D
Drew9870
Match the braid with the right rod and reel and you can find yourself casting 100-200 yds with a 2-3oz weight. I have a new European Rod called a Chub Outkast, it's 12 feet and meant for Carp fishing but I plan on doing some surf fishing with it someday, it's loaded with 40lb PowerPro and most lakes or ponds that I take it to, I have to gently cast to avoid hitting the other side :lol:. A 12 foot rod and a reel with a wide spool will play the role in casting distance, but the bad part about PowerPro, it cost me $40 to respool my reel on my Carp rod (200 yds after 75 yds of thick backing).

F
fishtales
Is it easier to do backing and line or to go in to a shop and have them do. Whats your two cents on this?

D
Drew9870
Backing is nothing more than cheap filler, I only use it so I don't have to spend 5-10 more bucks to top off my reel with the good stuff, for filler I used 24lb Chameleon, that stuff is like wire leader even in 8lb (imagine trying to cast wire leader, it's only good for leader :lol: unless your using heavier gear and monster rod guides).

Backing will save you money, since 40lb PowerPro has the diameter of about 8lb Maxima UG, it can go a looooooong ways on a reel that holds 330 yds of 16lb test, I had my reel respooled at Wholesale Sports (old Sportsmans Warehouse) and they put backing and mainline on for me, but I always warn them to be careful with the clickers on the spool since I believe they are at fault for one of mine and my buddies drag clickers breaking.

C
Coastalfisherman
Spool up with 50lb braid. Put about 20 yards of mono on the spool first. This will keep the braid from spinning on the spool.

B
BlackBass
Drew9870 said:
. A 12 foot rod and a reel with a wide spool will play the role in casting distance, but the bad part about PowerPro, it cost me $40 to respool my reel on my Carp rod (200 yds after 75 yds of thick backing).

You can find Power Pro all day long for 28 $ for 300 yards. I use braid on all fishing applications other then drift fishing . If your fishing the salt from shore , you would be doing yourself an injustice by not using it. As mentioned above you can make REALY long casts .