Braid question

W
Willerman
Somewhat recently splurged and bought a baitcaster setup and am really enjoying it. I have been running 10b maxima UG but am looking to make the switch to braid. I have some 30lb braid ready to spool up but am curious as to how long of a leader people use? I have heard a pole's length somewhere but am not sure if that is true here or not. Also curious as to what kind of leader people would suggest - I have some 10lb pline floro but am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

B
BaldTexan
I typically use about a 20 foot mono or fluoro bumper for a casting setup. Braid is not very abrasion resistant and will even fray just from a slip bobber sliding up and down repeatedly. I don't use a bumper for a trolling setup - just mono for the trolling gear leaders.

hobster
hobster
I use a 20 lb bumper as well, about 8 or 9 feet. I usually have a 8-10 lb leader attached to a swivel at the end of the bumper, around 3 ft. It is a great setup, the bobber stop holds better and the braid doesn't get worn by the bobber like BT pointed out. Mono is way more abrasion resistant. Plus less line visibility in the water. This is my steelhead setup, but it would work for bass too, but i'd use a lighter leader. Probably 6-8 lb. maxima UG.

W
Willerman
Hey great, thanks for the advice. What would be the best (strongest & easiest to tie) line to line knot that people use?

D
DrTheopolis
If I live out my days (hopefully lots of them left) without fishing braid again, Id be fine with that. Very strong, and lasts forever (my trolling/anchor rod is due for new mono after several years), but with braid... bring extra setups. When something goes wrong with braid (knot/ birdsnest, aka "vistit from Uncle Nester," which is wayyyy more common with braid), you're in a bad way, and it's not going to be fixed anytime soon... which equals less time with line in the water.

Heck, I fish the Columbia and the bays with 30# mono... how big do you need?

Just my overvalued $0.02.

hobster
hobster
I run braid with a bobber because it floats and is high vis, plus I like the hookset. Besides that i'm strictly a mono dude.

Willerman look no further than the double uni knot. You can tie any line to any other type of line and it WORKS! I've heard of other knots for that purpose but I have never had that knot fail, and I mean never! So why fix what ain't broke.

B
BaldTexan
Yep. I second the double uni knot. Easy to tie and doesn't fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W
Willerman
DrTheopolis;n597443 said:
If I live out my days (hopefully lots of them left) without fishing braid again, Id be fine with that. Very strong, and lasts forever (my trolling/anchor rod is due for new mono after several years), but with braid... bring extra setups. When something goes wrong with braid (knot/ birdsnest, aka "vistit from Uncle Nester," which is wayyyy more common with braid), you're in a bad way, and it's not going to be fixed anytime soon... which equals less time with line in the water.

Heck, I fish the Columbia and the bays with 30# mono... how big do you need?

Just my overvalued $0.02.

I do value that $.02! This is more of a test run for me. I have been never fished with braid in my life before this year, but I do enjoy the sensitivity and the ability to immediately set the hook on far out casts (which is a lot more possible now with this setup). And as I'm sure you know, a 30lb braid is not that "big". I am picturing the birds nests now, but hopefully it will all be a learning experience above all else (i'm sure i won't see it that way when I am out in the water...).

With that said, I have used the double uni before for fishing steelhead, so that's what my original thought was. Glad to know that other people approve. Thanks all for the advice.

portlandrain
portlandrain
In my opinion, if you're good with your baitcaster it's no more easy to get backlash with it then mono or fluorocarbon. I agree though that once you do get one it's a real pain to get it out. Just go for something that it very round and smooth and it should preform well. I'm using some new diawa braid that i really like recently. I think it's 30 lb.

W
wils
For bass fishing, I use straight 20# braid with a san diego knot on my spinner.

B
Billamicasr
All but a couple of my reels are loaded with mono as a backing then Power Pro "Spectra" braid in 30 to 65 pound depending upon usage. To tie on a shock tippet of mono I commonly use the Albright knot or if I'm adding a swivel I use the Palomar; neither have come loose or broken in my use so far.

One of my past targets were Striped Bass in the surf near Pacifica, CA. I used a Newell 229. That reel is a long distance machine (no longer available) without any kind of magnetic brake. In use it is recommended to cut a thumb tab of leather to ride the spool as the line comes off. I disregarded that advice on my first few trips and ended up with a blistered thumb. Using your thumb to ride the spool may cost you a little distance at times, but in many cases saves you from cutting out a nest. Back then braid was just beginning to be used. I used Izorline sold primarily for the long ranger fisherman. Izorline was made by Western Filament which was located in SoCal now located in Colorado.

When I started with braid there was a bit of a learning curve as it slips off the reel and through the guides much easier than mono, meaning it is easier, in my opinion, to get a backlash. At times it may seem not worth relearning how to use your level wind reel, but the benefits outweigh the trouble and once you become proficient with braid it is tough to use mono as it seems so sluggish in comparison.

I haven't yet tried the Hollow Ace Power Pro which used a "Finger Trap" method (no knot) of line splice to connect mono to the braid. Like those Chinese finger traps my wicked older sister used on me when I was young, I hear it is better in use than any knot and line strength is maintained at 100%. Anyone tried it?

W
Willerman
No Title

Billamicasr;n597514 said:
All but a couple of my reels are loaded with mono as a backing then Power Pro "Spectra" braid in 30 to 65 pound depending upon usage. To tie on a shock tippet of mono I commonly use the Albright knot or if I'm adding a swivel I use the Palomar; neither have come loose or broken in my use so far.

One of my past targets were Striped Bass in the surf near Pacifica, CA. I used a Newell 229. That reel is a long distance machine (no longer available) without any kind of magnetic brake. In use it is recommended to cut a thumb tab of leather to ride the spool as the line comes off. I disregarded that advice on my first few trips and ended up with a blistered thumb. Using your thumb to ride the spool may cost you a little distance at times, but in many cases saves you from cutting out a nest. Back then braid was just beginning to be used. I used Izorline sold primarily for the long ranger fisherman. Izorline was made by Western Filament which was located in SoCal now located in Colorado.

When I started with braid there was a bit of a learning curve as it slips off the reel and through the guides much easier than mono, meaning it is easier, in my opinion, to get a backlash. At times it may seem not worth relearning how to use your level wind reel, but the benefits outweigh the trouble and once you become proficient with braid it is tough to use mono as it seems so sluggish in comparison.

I haven't yet tried the Hollow Ace Power Pro which used a "Finger Trap" method (no knot) of line splice to connect mono to the braid. Like those Chinese finger traps my wicked older sister used on me when I was young, I hear it is better in use than any knot and line strength is maintained at 100%. Anyone tried it?

I tried the FG knot this weekend, which is the type I think you might be referring to? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk), but unfortunately it did not hold up well for me. Very well could have been user error, it was my first time tying it. I have been sticking with the double uni and it has been working great - managed to hold up to decent chunk on Saturday.

• photo30610.jpg
B
Billamicasr
That FG knot looks interesting, but way too many steps for me. If you care to research the no knot finger trap visit Youtube and ues Power Pro Hollow Ace as your search criteria. Lots of videos about Hollow Ace.
Another tidbit; the Hollow Ace is only available in 40 to 200 pound test.

tbrinks
tbrinks
Willerman;n597427 said:
Hey great, thanks for the advice. What would be the best (strongest & easiest to tie) line to line knot that people use?

Modified Albright is the best I have found to join braid to fluro. Much easier to tie than the double uni IMO.

Also, you can usually get away with straight braid for many applications on baitcast gear. With finesse applications on spinning, that is where I'll use a 15lb braid and 6 or 8lb fluoro leader.

Admin
Admin
[video=youtube_share;Rs4Wdoc8-0o]https://youtu.be/Rs4Wdoc8-0o[/video]

Reactions: Troutski