Brads cut plugs, 7 mile beach Kodiak AK ( Karluk River )

H
halibuthitman
Well thought I would make a little post about a product that im suprised worked as well as it did, so here it is.

In August Myself and 2 friends took some time off work to fish 2 consecutive days on the south end of kodiak on the shelikof strait side, we did a test, the first day we mooched with lefthanded herring.. it produced 22 silvers and 6 kings... but on the second day we used the Brads cutplug herring lures you fill with a little herring fillet, after 2 hrs of reseach, and rebuilding ( had to take off the trebles and put together a mooching set up with a stinger hook ) the plastic plugs produced 16 silvers and 11 kings in the next 6 hrs.... a big suprise to me, the plugs fishe best when just drug a few turn off the bottom bumping the boat into gear while the autopilot had the boat doing a circle. It was an awsome day!

F
fishingfreak
Thats amazing! Good job! Looks like fun times an good memories!

O
OnTheFly
Awesome! Was the fishing this year a little better than last? Seems like it was. I did not make it to K-Kan with my brother-in-law this year but he said it was fish on. This year he limited every day with his 6fish/day 6 days out of seven (one day was 70mph winds that kept them in) and came back with about 230lbs.of fillets. The set up was the typical mooch using a 4 to 5 oz. banana weight tied to main line then a flasher 18inches down. Then 5ft of leader to a plug cut herring with 25 pulls down. How effective do you think your lure and herring would do there? Sounds like it would slay'um.:think:

B
beaverfan
Man that's some good fishin' right there!

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice! Might make a brads believer out of me.

C
Coho Kid
Thanks for the post.I'd wondered how well they work. Did you seem to hook most of your fish on the front or back hook?

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice fish that makes it look easy.

H
halibuthitman
Coho Kid said:
Thanks for the post.I'd wondered how well they work. Did you seem to hook most of your fish on the front or back hook?

Most of the silvers came on the bottom hook, we were fishing them out of the package with the single treble setup and kept getting hard hits with no hook-up, kings often side swipe a bait first and if you rip 3-4 good pulls off your reel quick enough you may get them on the second hit.. but instead we rigged a forward hook off the main line and from that point on almost all the kings came on the forward hook. These plugs fish ok, but much better if you ad a chain swivel or 2 beads between the bottom hook and the body, we also had one plug that did not fish at all, we changed it out and the new plug started catching. The biggest downfall of all the Brads baits lures is they all require some kind of tuning to work to their maximum ability. The spinners, alvins, plugs.. none of them fish well strait out of the package.. frustrating if you are new to the fishing game.
Yeah Jim this year was exeptional, exept in cook inlet where it took forever for the runs to get started.. and then they were over. K-town had a frickin awsome year, and yeah.. it blew 40 every 3 days for the whole last month of salmon. You missed a pretty good year but on the good side adfg says the average size of a king is on the up turn and the kenai is seeing some of the biggest kings since the 70's! so get up there next year.. im gonna set up a trip for 4 people.. you should think about it!

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
the biggest kings since the 70's! so get up there next year.. im gonna set up a trip for 4 people.. you should think about it!
Thanks Brad I'll concider it!

A
autofisher
Nice lookin fish bro....... Been wonderin when you were comin back.

Top Bottom