BP oil leak

R

RO Fish

This is a tragedy that appears to be worse than the Exxon Valdez spill in Prince William Sound, and it continues as we write and read. The Valdez tanker had a finite amount of oil in it. The Deepwater Horizon well has a relatively infinite supply from an enormous undersea field and continues to spew crude at hundreds of thousands of gallons per day. The repercussions have just barely begun. Americans seem to be asleep for the most part on this. Surreal. Gulf coast fishing is done for many for who knows how many years. Not to mention the effects on other marine wildlife. Not good.

F

fishnquest

BP's job is to make money; it is all they care about. As long as people in control care more about money than people, wildlife or the planet, these things will continue to happen. I do believe they cut corners at every opportunity to save money. There was no need to do that; the leaders of the company will all die stinking rich. Even now and going forward they will continue to do everything they can to minimize their costs, not necessarily what may be the right thng to do. I do believe capitalism is the best system going, but it also sways people to care more about money than anything else. We as a society are way off track and headed in the wrong direction. A single, simple example of our own tragedy. BP will ultimately walk away and leave the mess behind for taxpayers to take care of; all the while minimizing what they pay and maximizing their own take. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who pays for this; and I do mean in every way imaginable. They knew before they ever started drilling the safeguards against this "spill" (oops, I spilled) were little more than a joke.

troutdude

troutdude

Movie actor Kevin Costner was so perturbed by the destruction of the Valdez spill, that he has spent millions of his own money for a solution. BP was supposed to being implementing what Costner's group has developed.

I tip my hat to Mr. Costner, for his genuine concern about our environment!

(You can learn more by googling)

O

OnTheFly

What gripes me is that there was no contingency plan in place. If a breach in an undersea oil pipeline occurs then there should be an effective and efficient way to stop it. duh!

troutdude

troutdude

Yep. Those were my first thoughts too.

Plan "B", should've been in place BEFORE drilling began.

And our federal government should've made sure, that the backup plan was in place!

O

OnTheFly

Yep. Those were my first thoughts too.

Plan "B", should've been in place BEFORE drilling began.

And our federal government should've made sure, that the backup plan was in place!

Owners of the Titanic: "We don't need life boats this ship can't sink"

F

Fishtopher

B + P = Biological Predator

B + P = Biological Predator

spillsitegraphic.png
RigOnFire.png
RigOnFire1.png
swirlingoil.png
MarshOilBirds.png
OilIsland.png

For me, words can't really explain how I feel about this. I can't imagine.
Thousands of fisherman of everykind now signing contracts with Biological Predator to use thier boats as part of a clean up process that more than likely wont actually be cleaned up for thousands of years, if ever.

Bum deal.

Last edited:
F

Fishtopher

Appears to be just spewing mud now. But its probably got some oil/gas/dispersants in it too. Dispersants are probably gonna be a bigger story down the road than the oil!

H

halibuthitman

all of the above beats dependency on overseas oil. My Hemi is thirsty... I will not be a hypocryte on this, I am the crack head that keeps these dealers in business.

F

Fishtopher

Are you kidding?? It doesn't matter if BP falls off the face of the Earth.
You're dependant on foriegn oil.
Always have been always will be from the beginning of oil until the end of all oil, or we TAKE all the oil. We all are.
We shouldnt be risking our coastlines for the amount of oil we produce. IMO of course.

Give me higher oil prices over oil lined American beaches anyday. Whether thats because of (waaaaaay)stricter regulations or because we are completely dependant on foriegn oil.

R

RO Fish

We (all of us that use oil) are all indirectly responsible for this spill. Certainly, shortcuts were taken and the drilling could have been done more safely. And there could have been more safety back ups, and contingency plans, etc, etc, etc. But so long as there is demand for oil, there will be drilling for oil, and there will be a finite, non-zero risk for spills. And if we did not keep demanding more oil (in the form of gasoline, e.g., for our vehicles), then they (BP, Exxon, etc.) would stop drilling to keep supplying us, the addicted users. We have to demand another fuel source for our transportation needs, or the drilling and spilling will continue. How many are ready to convert to driving electric vehicles (this would require expensive infrastruture change in the form of charging stations)? Or to bike or walk to work? Or to convert to mass transportation to minimize fuel use? In other words, to give up our gasoline powered cars/trucks? That is what it will take to prevent future spills.

Last edited:
F

Fishtopher

Fat chance. Only if oil prices were driven so high would people stop consuming. It would probably take war+riots+revolution+divine intervention to = Americans makeing a switch.

Lemme get out my tin-foil hat for a minute...

Ok. If BP, Exxon and Ford and GM would get off some of the patents they either bought or stole from groundbreaking scientists I have no doubt there would be a cost efficient, low environment impacting energy source to power not only cars but every other damned piece of electronics on the planet.

Someone's knocking on the door....I gotta get to the bunker!

G

GDBrown

Oil Scares me!

Oil Scares me!

The scariest thing about oil is not what we use for transportation. That is minor compared to all of the other products that are made from petroleum. If we waste it all driving to the store to buy items that get thrown into a landfill we won't have the items to buy anymore. Think of all the fishing gear you use and consider how much of it is petroleum based.

We really need to get back to the Depression Era attitude of "Use, Reuse, Repair & Make Do!" How many of you had hand me down clothes when you were growing up. Did any of you make your kids wear hand me downs? Maybe the old fashion way of doing things will finally be fashionable again.

If you don't recycle yet please start. Every little bit helps. Maybe that's why I buy old boats and fix them up rather than buying a new one. Nah, I'm just cheap.....

GD

T

TTFishon

BP's job is to make money; it is all they care about. As long as people in control care more about money than people, wildlife or the planet, these things will continue to happen. I do believe they cut corners at every opportunity to save money. There was no need to do that; the leaders of the company will all die stinking rich. Even now and going forward they will continue to do everything they can to minimize their costs, not necessarily what may be the right thng to do. I do believe capitalism is the best system going, but it also sways people to care more about money than anything else. We as a society are way off track and headed in the wrong direction. A single, simple example of our own tragedy. BP will ultimately walk away and leave the mess behind for taxpayers to take care of; all the while minimizing what they pay and maximizing their own take. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who pays for this; and I do mean in every way imaginable. They knew before they ever started drilling the safeguards against this "spill" (oops, I spilled) were little more than a joke.

Check out number 7 on this list. Lets hope it's true. BP oil spill: 9 strange facts - The Week

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Too many good men were lost...don't forget them

Too many good men were lost...don't forget them

Hey,guys...the most precious things we lost was not the oil,the pelicans and other wildlife or the oyster farms and jobs related to the impact,it was the lives of eleven hard working family men who were sons,brothers,husbands,lovers,uncles,cousins,reliable neighbors and fathers to countless people. :( The fact that BP doesn't even sell their petroleum products in this country,but ships it overseas should not overshadow the loss of human lives. Who is going to "fix" that loss? Has anyone seen a report on their responsibility,whether legal or moral,to the families? I haven't. :think: