Boy Scout trip - fishing from the bank

B
BlsdMama
We're on an outing tomorrow with the Scouts and will be fishing from the shore in the late afternoon... Should we be taking anything other than worms? Most of the boys are inexperienced and as for our family, this will only be our second fishing trip since moving here a couple months ago.

Thanks!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum. I would pick up some Power Bait,make sure it is the floating type and use with around 18-24 inch leader. You can also use several lures. I understand the power bait works well there. Good fishing!

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
Welcome to the forum. I would pick up some Power Bait,make sure it is the floating type and use with around 18-24 inch leader. You can also use several lures. I understand the power bait works well there. Good fishing!

X2. Get Green (or Lemon/Lime), Orange, Bubble Gum (Pink & White), and Chartruese Power Bait (or Power Eggs by Berkley).

Use a sliding barrel sinker on the main line. Slide it up a bit, then tie a barrel swivel to your main line.

Add the leader on the other end of the swivel, with either a small (size 16 or 18) treble hook, or a size 8 ir 6 Egg hook at the end of your leader.

Put on a doughball of power bait or 2 power eggs (and you can try various color combinations). Cast out, and let it sit. BAM!

Welcome to OFF!

P.S. I can send you a pic of how to rig that up, if you like.

P.P.S. I just got back from taking about 20 Royal Ranger boys (like scouts), leaders and parents up to Detroit Reservoir. Yesterday (and solo), I caught about 30 trout in 3 hours, with power eggs. And today, we all went together and caught about 100 trout in 3 hours!!! Moral of the story...the rig described above WORKS!!!

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hey,me too..pic of the rig...Please ;-)

troutdude
troutdude
This rig isn't identical to what I use. However, it is the basic rig that I first started out with. Then, I just made improvements to it. The things I do differently are:

Add a bead on the mainline BETWEEN the barrel sinker and the barrel swivel. This helps keep the sinker from sliding onto/over the swivel which would make it malfunction.

I use 6 pound mainline and 4 pound test leader. And I start w/ 3 feet of leader.

I use a VERY small treble hook, if I want to use Power Bait (which I rarely use at all anymore) [see my other threads on here about how Power Eggs are better]

For Power Eggs, I use a size 6 or 8 Egg Hook. Then, I slide on 2 power eggs onto the hook's shank; and leave the hook's TIP BARE.

Have fun.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/media/File/040510TRTROUT_STILL_08.pdf

P.S. Using a sliding sinker allows a fish to NOT just bite your bait and leave--but actually pick up the bait and take "off" with it! Using split shot or other "attached" weight; causes the fish to feel the weight when biting, so they drop it without getting hooked. That's why so many peeps get bites, but never hook the fish. I always far out fish anyone who does NOT use a sliding sinker.

Case in point: yesterday at Detroit...a couple next to us were using slinky weights. They only caught a couple of fish. While 2 dozen peeps in my group (using the same bait, but SLIDING WEIGHTS, caught over 100 fish in 3 hours)!!!

Last edited:
F
fishnquest
Troutdude said it all. Right on. Flourocarbon works good for leader material. I'm glad to see scouts is still going on somewhere. Welcome to the forum.

B
BlsdMama
You guys are awesome. Not just advice, but pictures. ;) We took our kids fishing last night at the Canby pond. We didn't catch any but we did see they were hitting on power bait there, not our worms. ;)

We'll let you know how we do!

B
bassman503
Why would you use fluorocarbon line when you want the bait to float? Fluorocarbon sinks.

B
BlsdMama
Well, we had a good time. We didn't catch any fish, but maybe next time. On a personal note, I KNOW we'll be taking our kids out to Hagg again. What a gorgeous lake! We gave worms a shot, power bait (orange, pink, and chartreuse), we used sliding sinkers, floating bait, and lines with and without bobbers. (I learned a lot, lol.) Thank you all for the help. Can't wait to get out there again.
~Kelly

troutdude
troutdude
Sorry to see that you didn't catch any. Bummer. Did you try more than one spot?

When using worms, here are a couple of secrets.

1. Get a syringe from a Pharmacy. Thread a worm onto a hook. Then, inject the worm w/ a few pockets of air from the empty syringe. This helps the worm to float.

2. If a plain worm doesn't work...try adding either Garlic Smelly Jelly or Anise Scent to the worm.

You can also try adding Berkley's Trout Scent, next time, to your Power Eggs / Bait. The fish will smell it from a distance and come looking for the bait.

Best wishes for your next outing.

troutdude
troutdude
One more thing to suggest; try reading the archived threads for Henry Hagg Lake on here. There are a LOT of other good tips, and ideas on exactly where to catch trout from the banks.

W
wormosa
troutdude said:
One more thing to suggest; try reading the archived threads for Henry Hagg Lake on here. There are a LOT of other good tips, and ideas on exactly where to catch trout from the banks.
right on bro...