Bows on the fly

B
bigsteel
hit the santiam several days ago and picked up this nice rainbow.........they sure are hittin the nymphs hard......ive had real good luck with prince nymphs and a personal pattern i tied up.....i gotta come up with a name for it....MAN I LOVE FLY FISHIN FOR TROUT IN OREGON......some people look for heaven all there lives and forget its right in their backyard!!!!!!!!!!!!

R
rainbowfisherman
Would that be the North or South?

B
bigsteel
north'

R
rainbowfisherman
I have tried many times on the north and cannot seem to hook a trout on a fly rod over 5 inches there. I even went above detroit with no luck. I fish minto, and mill city with only little fish. Would you mind giveing me a little direction? haha. If you want to just PM me that is okay.
Thanks
Rainbowfisherman

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice looking trout!

G
Growbug
rainbowfisherman... 5" is sure a small rod. What weight is it??
Serious though. Nymphing is working for me in the local river (Molalla), but i am also getting the smaller ones, up to about 8". I suspect my 'problem' is that i am a little too far up the river!
---
edit
Mine are cutt's not rainbows.

R
rainbowfisherman
Im sorry I wasunclear I meant the fish were 5 inches, haha im sorry

O
OnTheFly
bigsteel said:
.....some people look for heaven all there lives and forget its right in their backyard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is.

F
fisherwilly
Nice rainbow! I too have been appreciating the trout fishing in Oregon recently.

K
Kestrel
Beautiful fish! I'm just getting back into fishing. Right now I have a spinning reel set-up and have caught a few small trout using flies on the Umpqua and the upper Clackamas (catch and release, with barbless flies). I would like to get into fly-fishing, but find it a little overwhelming. Any advice on how to start up in terms of bare essentials for gear and places to go? (I live in NE Portland) Pulling legal sized stocker trout out of the lake is fun and they're fine to eat, but kind of wanting to branch out...

B
bigsteel
for starters dont spend a ton of money,,,just get yourself a decent 5wt with floating line,,,a couple leaders,some tippet,and a few flies and your in business........waders are a must in the colder months but since summers hittin us wet wading is getting close.......soon youll find what works where and then tie your own patterns.........i dont know much about the clackamas,,,,down here on the santiam,,,,its a lot of caddis action,,,,,,bwos right now............im gonna do a write up on flyfishing rivers here ina bit and ill start a thread.....

A
autofisher
One of these days, I SWEAR that I'm going to get one of those big buggers on my fly rod. It'll happen..... and it'll happen the way it always does..... when I'm not paying attention.

T
TTFishon
Nice trout bigsteel!!! Way to get 'em on your own fly.

O
OnTheFly
autofisher said:
One of these days, I SWEAR that I'm going to get one of those big buggers on my fly rod. It'll happen..... and it'll happen the way it always does..... when I'm not paying attention.

Hooking a steelhead on a fly is pretty much like what I often tell people when they enter my car, "Get in, sit down, shut up and hold on" It's kinda like that.

J
JeannaJigs
gettin' any fish on a self tied fly or jig whatever it may be, is seriously the best feeling in the world. That last fish I got that I was able to tag came on a self tied jig, and I was high as a kite after that, and it was longgggg after my redbull and vicodin breakfast wore off.

Nice job gettin' into 'em.

That first picture...the fly is similar to a couple patterns of jigs I've been tying, works well all year.

M
metalfisher76
JeannaJigs said:
gettin' any fish on a self tied fly or jig whatever it may be, is seriously the best feeling in the world. That last fish I got that I was able to tag came on a self tied jig, and I was high as a kite after that, and it was longgggg after my redbull and vicodin breakfast wore off.

Nice job gettin' into 'em.

That first picture...the fly is similar to a couple patterns of jigs I've been tying, works well all year.

That`s a greaaaaat breakfast there Jeanna! I prefer Rockstar but Redbull`s a very close second.:D

B
bigsteel
that pattern is called ***** CREEK.......