Bows in the snow... and a couple cold weather ?'s

F
fishfry
This was a 25 incher I caught and released :) I had some questions for you other fisher people who are just as avid/addicted as myself to fishing no matter what the weather is doing. Allot of times when I get out on the river it's early morning (I get there before the sun) and cold as ... I'm having problems with things like eye guides freezing up FAST and reels malfunctioning as well as my line not doing quite the job it should. Looking for some ideas, pointers and knowledge. I'm sure you winter steelhead guys have some. Thnks in advance

• 2010-11-10_06-53-32_829.jpg
  • 2010-11-11_16-53-16_65.jpg
Last edited:
R
rainbowfisherman
First of all great rainbow! Now for the ice part. I fished in central Oregon last winter and ha the same problem my guides were getting frozen on my fly rod. It was too a Point I couldn't even cast. I just had to hand remove the ice. Annoying but the most affective I could do.

H
halibuthitman
Dude... you catch some big fish! was that also on a plug?? as for your ice/guide issue.. I just reach up with my fingers.. pinch it out, light a smoke.. and smile cause im fishin!

F
fishfry
Lol. Ty and yes on a J7 floating black and silver rapala (my favorite here and you can see why). You can see part of it on the top left of the pic stuck in the net. When it's warmer I do a slow to medium retrieve with a few twitches and when it gets cold like now I've been slowing down more and adding some more twitches and pauses. Seems to be working so far. The problem is my line/eye guides are freezing part way through each retrieve lol. Lost a rapala cause it froze between taking it from the water and casting (about 2 seconds). Also lost a 25+ inch bow because my reel froze up and line just started snapping off the reel :(

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
A thin coat of Vasaline should help with the ice since it won't freeze. Dab on an even coat when you first get there and wipe OFF any excess. Take the jar with you so you can re-apply after you fish a while.

J
JeannaJigs
Pam spray.

S
slimyguts
WD 40 comes is small pocket sized cans. Use the vasilene before you go and lightly spray WD when / if they freeze.

G
Growbug
WD-40 small can, or Ballistol. I LOVE Ballistol

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice catch!

F
fishfry
Another problem im having is line longevity. Been having to replace it every couple weeks because its getting weak. Do they make a mono that withstands freezing and thawing constantly? Have been using trilene 6lb and spiderwire 8lb mono. Both are great for about a week or two tops then junk.

H
halibuthitman
I fish trilene and pretty much trim it back 30' every time I fish... the leaders I build for flyfishing I change every trip... sooo mabe maxima... but I doubt it.

F
fishfry
Long but good weekend

Long but good weekend

Whew. Had a busy weekend of working around the ranch and getting wood hauled for the winter months but still found a little time to get some nice morning pics and get a couple of nice trout. Got a 21 and a 26 incher and lost a nice hog. All in all not a bad weekend :D Have i mentiond I LOVE RAPALAS?

Last edited:
Chromatose
Chromatose
diehard3.png

I use good old Ande. Cheap die hard line. As mentioned, when I remove 25 to 30` it doesn't break the bank. As to guides icing up. I use Chapstick.

Last edited: