Bowfishing around Eugene?

F
Fisher.King
I finally got a bowfishing setup and just went out for the first time today. IT'S FREAKIN EPIC!!!

So I know that from Greenhill road out to (and including) Fern Ridge reservoir, the amazon canal is open to bowfishing. The long tom is also open (went there today, no stuck carp :()

Just wondering if anywhere on the Willamette is open to bowfishing? Or possibly Dexter reservoir? Or any ponds within a half hour drive of Eugene that I have missed? Looking for carp by the way.

Also if anyone else bowfishes and is willing, I can pay for gas or food or whatever for an informal afternoon lesson someplace.

Edit: I forgot to ask about the Golden Garden ponds, near Winco. Are those bowfish-able?

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Before I give up any carp spots I'd like to know what you're planning on doing with your kill. I'd sure hate to go fishing and see a bunch of wasted carp meat rotting away on the bank.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Yep, rule #51 states in line 3, that all killed carp must be eatin.... or used at fertilizer for natural areas...;)

Last edited:
F
Fisher.King
I plan on tasting one carp just to do it. But after that I was planning to post them on craigslist. If nobody wants em after a week of being frozen I'll toss em in the trash unless my grandma wants them in her composter. I'm not that person who throws gutted junk fish into the bushes :p

Edit: Might even take the time to post signs at the local public farms when I pass by them.

D
Drew9870
I bowhunt Carp like everyday, it's so easy a caveman couldn't even do it.

T
TTFishon
Fisher.King said:
I plan on tasting one carp just to do it. But after that I was planning to post them on craigslist. If nobody wants em after a week of being frozen I'll toss em in the trash unless my grandma wants them in her composter. I'm not that person who throws gutted junk fish into the bushes :p

Edit: Might even take the time to post signs at the local public farms when I pass by them.

Are you going to be boating or banking it?

F
Fisher.King
I'll mostly be on foot or in waders. I have set a board on top of my small raft and used a pole to get around while lure fishing before, I don't see why it wouldn't work for bowfishing. Although when I did that I had to sit on a lawn chair to keep it semi-balanced... It was awkward but it worked. I was at fern ridge on Sunday and met a nice guy who told me a few places around the lake where carp congregate. Just looking for any water that I can shoot a bow around, basically. You can't shoot in town or I'd be hitting alton baker, the delta ponds and the pond behind Albertsons on Coburg daily.

T
TTFishon
PM sent

F
Fisher.King
Thanks a lot TTFishton! I knew about the second link but the first one is a great tip, I haven't poked around on that side of the lake yet. I met a nice guy at Fern Ridge on Sunday who gave me the exact same road name to check out, he even said he has bowfished in that location. Must be legit :cool:

Thanks again :D

Another question:

Is the Amazon Canal open to bowfishing? Google maps shows that it leaves the city limits just east of Greenhill Road, it would be a nice couple miles of easy sight fishing for a beginning bowfisher.

The dark gray is inside the city limits, light is out.
Google Maps

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
No problem man. :D I suppose you could call the Lane County Sheriff and ask them. When I was a kid I used to ride my bike to the Amazon Slough off of Fir Butte Rd. There's limited vehicle parking (room for about 2 cars). I think there's a trail on one side and a dirt rd on the other that follows the slough all the way to the lake. Here's a link. Google Maps Good luck!

Last edited:
R
Ridders150
My buddy and I just picked up bowfishing setups today and plan on going out this week. I dont know of many spots other than seeing guys in the weeds on the south side of fern ridge If you ever want to meet up or hitch a ride ive got a small duck boat that will fit a few people. Let me know.

R
Ridders150
Fishon I would love that info you sent fisherking also. Vert much appreciated.

T
Theosprey94
Gonna try to perform CPR on this post lol I just moved to Eugene and am looking for any and all information on carp spots within a 25-50 mile radius. All carp will be killed without mercy and disposed of in the must inhumane way possible.