Bowers Slough?

OREGON FISHING FORUM

Hey Y'all

On google maps there is a little creek or something called Bowers Slough, it's in between Corvallis and Albany. has anyone ever fished it? it runs directly into the Willamette so I was thinking maybe during the summer there would be a few bass and stuff up in there. It looks pretty small so it's unlikely that anyone on here has tried it, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

troutdude

Are you thinking of the slough north of Riverside Drive, and West of Bryant Park? In an area labeled as Bowers Rock State Park? If so I had a client down the Bowers Rock State Park road. I'm pretty sure that they lived right before the park area itself. It seems like that area was closed OFF. But that was about 10 years ago give or take. Couldn't hurt to drive back there, and ask for permission (if it's private land). At least by looking at the map...it looks fishy.

Are you thinking of the slough north of Riverside Drive, and West of Bryant Park? In an area labeled as Bowers Rock State Park? If so I had a client down the Bowers Rock State Park road. I'm pretty sure that they lived right before the park area itself. It seems like that area was closed OFF. But that was about 10 years ago give or take. Couldn't hurt to drive back there, and ask for permission (if it's private land). At least by looking at the map...it looks fishy.
No, it passes under highway 20 I think if you put this into google maps you can find it 5181-6975 Hwy 20, Albany, OR 97321 it looks like a little creek thing

C_Run

Still shut out from Bowers Rock There are several articles about the State Park in Hasso Hering's web page.

Chuter

I'm a little confused about which slough you're talking about. When I punch in the numbers you gave for google maps it points me to a spot that isn't a creek. Good chance I'm doing it wrong maybe? The closest is Cox creek which connects to Timber-Linn.

The only Bower's slough I know of or can find on google maps is directly west of Hyak and across the river from the Bower's Rock Park. I tried getting in there late last summer with my jon boat but the water was too low and the vegetation too thick. If memory serves my correctly this was the slough in which I sheared off my trolling motor prop while trying to use it like a mud motor.

Chuter

Still shut out from Bowers Rock There are several articles about the State Park in Hasso Hering's web page.
Don't pay any attention to those signs. I called OSP, APD and the Sheriff last year and they ALL encouraged me to enjoy the park, just don't park on private land. APD said it was fine to park at the junction with the entrance road as long as you don't block traffic or park past the road right of way which is the power poles. I biked in from there and had a pretty good day of bassin' and even had an incidental crappie catch on a big spinner bait. It's kind of an unknown gem so don't tell anyone ;)

C_Run

Don't pay any attention to those signs. I called OSP, APD and the Sheriff last year and they ALL encouraged me to enjoy the park, just don't park on private land. APD said it was fine to park at the junction with the entrance road as long as you don't block traffic or park past the road right of way which is the power poles. I biked in from there and had a pretty good day of bassin' and even had an incidental crappie catch on a big spinner bait. It's kind of an unknown gem so don't tell anyone ;)
Good to know. Thanks.

troutdude

It's no longer unknown. LOL And how do you know if you're on private land or not?

The Bowers Slough in question, I believe, actually runs the length of the western side of Hyak Park. Coming down from the hill, and under Hwy 20, along the park and into the Willy. At least that's the stretch that the above coordinates showed me.

Chuter

Yeah, sorry. I guess my winky emoji didn't clarify my sarcasm. It's definitely not a secret ? Sounds like we're talking about the same slough. I must have goofed up the coordinates when I plugged them in.

As far as knowing private from public... It's fairly obviously posted, especially at the entrance, but you can check it against a GPS mapping app if you wanted to be on the safe side.

troutdude

@gfisher2003 I just drove by there. It's not where I thought it was. The real McCoy is actually a little further west. The slough goes under a bridge, on Hwy. 20. Looks like there may be a pocket large enough to fish on the North side of Hwy. 20. And maybe more fishable pockets south of the cutOFF road (that leads to a farm or two). But I'm sure that all of it, is private property. So be sure to get permission from the owners, before you venture out.

Top Bottom