Bottomfishing Newport Area

D
diggindan
We're hoping to haul the boat over and try crabbing/fishing Yaquina Bay tomorrow. It's our first time so any tips are appreciated.
We'd like to go out for Ling if it looks safe. If not is there any good spots in the bay itself.
Thanks, Dan

B
BlackBass
Looks like a pretty good weather window tomorrow. Drop pots in the bay , maybe try jigging for herring on the incoming thats always fun for the kids, and get free bait for salmon fishing or crab bait. I would sneak out into the ocean and try jigging for some lings, or blacks. You can also fish inside the bay and throw bait and jigs around the jettys should be a realy nice day , no wind and sunshine today :)

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you are thinking about going out over the bar here is a good site to check out. I check it all the time if I want to have an idea of what the ocean will be doing. As far as fishing in the bay Blackbass has a good idea with regard to fishing for herring, always fun. I used to fish over by the Big Green Tank for perch. I'd use mud shrimp cast out let it hit the bottom and reel in. For other fish you can jig in the south side of the jaws by the piling and wing dams. Have a good trip.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/255.html

D
diggindan
It was a beautiful, sunny day! The east wind made it kinda rough in the bay. No fish, 4 Dungs and 4 Reds. Our first time on Yaquina so we cruised around.
We thought it might be too rough to cross the bar so didn't attempt it. Our loss! When we pulled out we talked to a couple fellas cleaning a pile of lings who said the ocean was pretty flat. Next time!
We did score a trash bag full of free crab bait.
Cheers, Dan

S
steelhead1
we were on the bay today too.what boat were you in?The fishin was SUPER HOT!Probably the best its ever been for me,nonstop action!Even hooked and landed a red rock crab:)

Last edited:
M
mosd
Irishrover said:
If you are thinking about going out over the bar here is a good site to check out. I check it all the time if I want to have an idea of what the ocean will be doing. As far as fishing in the bay Blackbass has a good idea with regard to fishing for herring, always fun. I used to fish over by the Big Green Tank for perch. I'd use mud shrimp cast out let it hit the bottom and reel in. For other fish you can jig in the south side of the jaws by the piling and wing dams. Have a good trip.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/255.html

im heading out there on sunday, going and setting crab pots then jettin up the river to do abit of sturgeon fishing. never knew about that about the green tank, i always figured youd catch perch near all the pilings, but ill deffantly give that a try before we head up river. do yea use much weight when casting those shrimp?

T
troutmasta
steelhead1 said:
we were on the bay today too.what boat were you in?The fishin was SUPER HOT!Probably the best its ever been for me,nonstop action!Even hooked and landed a red rock crab:)

FIished about a mile off of seal rock. Between 8 people we got a mix of 56 black/blue/cabezon and 3 lings in 3 1/2 hours. Using 4 oz "bannana" lead weights with hooks. Thats it. in about 90 feet of water. Fishing off the Miss Raven.
Full report tommorrow.

Irishrover
Irishrover
mosd said:
im heading out there on sunday, going and setting crab pots then jettin up the river to do abit of sturgeon fishing. never knew about that about the green tank, i always figured youd catch perch near all the pilings, but ill deffantly give that a try before we head up river. do yea use much weight when casting those shrimp?

I just used trout rods and a good size split shot. It was best at a slack tide as we put the boat close to the bank. We would get the line near the bottom and start brining it back in. If it stays on the botton those rocks will eat it for sure.;)