Bottom fishing out of Gold Beach

4labs
4labs
New to the form.I don't see much info from the South coast, so here we go.
Took my fatherin law out on his 90th birthday and my wife out of Gold Beach. Perfect day, 2ft seas and
5mph wind.Fished 1mile out in 30-50ft.I ran the boat and let them fish. Shrimp flies and lead jigs as usual
I top watered with swim baits for blacks.Easy limits if we wanted to. Released about 30 blacks and lings.Lost lots of gear.A fast drift until slack tide.Went deep for halibut but no takers except for another 30lb ling.I usually would release the female lings and keep the smaller males but it was his birthday.Not many left at his age.God must of smiled on him.Since Oct .2014 I went out 3 times alone in my 18ft by myself.With no coast guard around until may,it can be stressful on my wife. Trolled in for salmon with diver-fishflash-brass spoon just to kill some time, but nothing.Lots of jelly fish and some porpoises.

God bless to all

• 2013_0204Dads90th0002.jpg
  • 2013_0204Dads90th0035.jpg
  • 2013_0204Dads90th0012.jpg
  • 2013_0204Dads90th0026.jpg
  • 2013_0204Dads90th0047.jpg
B
BaldTexan
Nice haul! Sounds like a great day of catching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, that is a big load of good eats!

C_Run
C_Run
Nice job, 4labs. Great report from down south!

R
rippin fish lips
Nice Fish. I swear i lost a really good ling today jetty fishing for the first time. Pretty sweet way to fish

4labs
4labs
If you ever get down this way look me up.I use to fish between G.b. and Port Orferd off the rocks when the seas were too big.
Some places are really easy to get to and others you think only a mountain goat could make it out of.I'm too old now but the gear I use is a 8ft spin pole and reel 50 lb braid- berkley sardine swim bait[5-6] inch also orange,black or white split tail and1-3 ounce lead head jigs.You need a day pack for your gear bottle water and rope to tie your fish to and a 6ft boat gaff helps. Caught lots of lings-blacks and even 1 salmon only 30 ft off the rocks. Just remember you can twist or break an ankel.

C_Run
C_Run
I've fished some of those spots, too. One slip and it is certain death in some of those places but they can be productive, too. Likewise, getting too old to go back to a few of those places. My wife and friends and I got a fairly respectable stringer off our kayaks at Port Orford last week. That's another way to do it.

F2M8HsJ.jpg

4labs
4labs
Great pics c_run!!!!! Always give credit to anyone that can take a kayak out in the ocean.And if your wife will go out your really lucky..

E
eugene1
Very nice way to have a 90th birthday party, 4labs!

Congrats,

R
rippin fish lips
is that a Sea Trout in the middle? Some nice blacks you got there.

C_Run
C_Run
rippin fish lips said:
is that a Sea Trout in the middle? Some nice blacks you got there.

Yep. I had the hot hand and got that one and the ling and the biggest black. It was everyone's first trip out in the ocean in a kayak. It took us awhile to find some that would bite but there is a lot out there. I got the ling on a lead fish and I think all the others came on Lancer jigs.

Sorry for the hijack, 4labs. I should just have made a post. Well...next time. Lots of opportunities out in the ocean!

4labs
4labs
Thats a great report C_run. Theirs no hijack on your part.I was fishing in my boat ahout 1/2 mile out and north of g.b. when 4 kayakers came out next to me and were hauling in the fish.Guys were laughing and yelling and having a blast.Made me wish I was 20 again

R
rippin fish lips
4labs said:
Thats a great report C_run. Theirs no hijack on your part.I was fishing in my boat ahout 1/2 mile out and north of g.b. when 4 kayakers came out next to me and were hauling in the fish.Guys were laughing and yelling and having a blast.Made me wish I was 20 again

Tell you what... Your post is a great one! I can say that it makes me have more of an itch to do more rock fishing. and chase something other then just salmon/steel

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
4labs said:
I was fishing in my boat ahout 1/2 mile out and north of g.b. when 4 kayakers came out next to me and were hauling in the fish.Guys were laughing and yelling and having a blast.Made me wish I was 20 again

shhhh, don't tell my wife there is an age restriction, I just got my 'ocean kayaking pass' from her and would not want to lose it. On the other hand, if all that is required is think and act like someone in their 20's, heck I've been getting away with that for decades...:D

Irishrover
Irishrover
The picture of you with the ling is great. Big fish and flat ocean doesn't get much better than that. The bonus was getting the father in law out there too. Hope I'm still able to be out there at that age!

4labs
4labs
Irishrover said:
The picture of you with the ling is great. Big fish and flat ocean doesn't get much better than that. The bonus was getting the father in law out there too. Hope I'm still able to be out there at that age!

My wife caught the ling she is pictured with but what I could'nt show was the 4lb ling that it had in it's mouth
All the lings and some of the blacks spit up small octopus.

And if anyone cares salmon are starting to be caught in the Rogue bay!!!!!!!