Borrowed motor smokes

C
Charlie_merrifi
So I borrowed a 15 hp Johnson seahorse from a friend until I can buy one. It hasn't run in a few years I stuck it in a barrel today and it smoked quite a bit. Barley at idle and a lot under power. What's the deal

T
Thuggin4Life
Well is it a 2 stroke? did you mix the gas at the right ratio? whenever i rev up a 2 stroke in a barrel it smokes a lot same when starting it. it less noticeable out on the water.

C
Charlie_merrifi
The mix may be off. I tried to just do a gallon. I haven't even put it on o lake yet it may be to heavy who knows

T
Thuggin4Life
Just be careful running full throtle in your boat with that 15 it might be a bit to much for that boat.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Yeah I probably won't. Where should I have the trim all the way down or up or in between. I'm more curious if it will be too heavy and submerge the back

T
Thuggin4Life
You want the prop at the same as the hull. I'll post a pic later any thing higher will make you do wheeliies.

C
capblack
a boat that does wheelies. whats wrong with that?? wheelies are cool
Thuggin4Life said:
You want the prop at the same as the hull. I'll post a pic later any thing higher will make you do wheeliies.

B
beaverfan
Charlie_merrifi said:
Yeah I probably won't. Where should I have the trim all the way down or up or in between. I'm more curious if it will be too heavy and submerge the back

What size motor is your boat rated for? I wouldn't go too much over, I've seen what can happen to boats that are overpowered/overweight! Not a pretty site!

troutdude
troutdude
Wheelies in a boat?

Sounds like the perfect chance, for a motor manufacturer's publicity stunt and photo op!

C
Charlie_merrifi
Yeah it's only rated 7.5 I don't intend to throttle much just a loaner for a little bit

T
Thuggin4Life
Ok not wheelies just a bow ridding so high that the hull only touches the water under the captians seat. I double the 7.5 rating for my last boat but i wouldn't reccomend it on the hull you have. 9.9 would be the max i would do if it was my boat. most 15's aren't that much heavier that a motor half its size. just be carefull man.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Oh I will life jacket on plus about a 200 pound person in the front with me in the middle if I can figure out an extension

T
Thuggin4Life
Curious what is to be gained by sittin in the middle?

C
Charlie_merrifi
More wight towards the front keep the nose down some

L
loubob
Be carefull running those motors in barrells. When the exhaust mixes with the water,
in the barrell, it becomes satuarated and looses it's effect. Idle is ok but rapping it up
is not recommened.
It's natual for a motor that has been sitting to smake, a bit.
Add a little Sea Foam.

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey charlie you are the one who got that smoker craft right? I wouldn't go too bow heavy. we put my 6 on a friend of mines boat thats similar in size and he was in the front and me in the back. he about 250 and water was coming over the bow into the boat because we were to bow heavy. had to switch seats for the long hauls. i would sit in the back with him in the front and you guys should be fine. If the water is calm once you get a feel for the boat go ahead and try to open her up all the way just be cautious. Good luck. you ever switch that captians seat so it would be more comfortable to steer? now that you got the motor you see what i was talking about?

C
Charlie_merrifi
Yeah I took it okk completley haven't got it back on yet. Not sure ill put it on

T
Thuggin4Life
i bet aftr a trip or 2 you will put it back on or get a different one. i had to sit on life jackets for months in my last boat. i remember when i put those seats in how much better it made a day out on the water. Now i am back to sitting on jackets and i miss the seatss a lot.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Yeah just a pain in the butt to put them on

T
Thuggin4Life
Are your seats removable wood or made out of metal that you can't remove?