Bored and watching "River Monsters"...made some fun stuff!

C
chrisohm
Twisted up a new batch of spinners and hoping to use the leftover pieces of wire for some spin n glos...
DSC00195.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

not bad but I ran out of hooks and had limited colors/blades. Lots of recycled parts!

R
rippin fish lips
Veryy nice looking! i need to get into spinner making so i can stop draining my pocket.

They all look like fish killers to me!

C
chrisohm
You should! Its fun to do and you can customize them to what you want. There is some flash tape that I either cut or use a hole punch to make and then apply to the back of the blade. I have 3 patterns, fish scale, crystal and another that looks like a chrome out version of a chess board. I do not have a wire straightener yet so I buy the preformed wires and finish them off by hand with some hobby pliers that you would use for making copper wire decorations. The crystal pattern flash tape has been the best for attracting fish and I even apply it to any after market spinner I buy.

L
LuckyToBeFishing
Here, here. I seem to lose them often. I think they don't like my tackle box cuz they seem to run and hide under rocks when they hit the water.:confused: Hey, not wanting to lose them makes me try to be better at using them. Nice job, Chrisohm!

C
chrisohm
True that! I don't lose them often unless they get tangled up in some line. I had that problem this weekend and lost a Blue Fox, my favorite color, to some nerd's 50 lb test line and $6 spoon I came across while fishing with my son at Estacada Lake. I also found some line there on the bank that had to be at least 60lb test! Was Jeremy Wade looking for some monster sculpin? Who would use that? Oh well, here are a few pics of the spin n glos I made just a few moments ago...they are alright I guess.

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

Last edited:
L
LuckyToBeFishing
Nice. I gotta start doing this...

troutdude
troutdude
rippin fish lips said:
Veryy nice looking! i need to get into spinner making so i can stop draining my pocket.

They all look like fish killers to me!

If you aren't losing at least a couple of spinners on every outing: then you're not getting them into the fish's strike zone. So, you ARE fishing them correctly.

Chrisohm...you must have read Jed Davis' book. All black is KILLER on Fall Nooks (in the correct conditions: low water/dark or cloudy skies) ! I even put black tubing on my hook shanks.

C
chrisohm
Yes I did read his book! I read through it once and went back to read a few sections a few times over to let it all sink in. The first group I ever made came out too heavy. After purchasing a few spinners here and there and literally sitting in the isle at Fisherman's for an hour or so I started to get a better idea of the overall target weight I wanted. My smaller spinners are a little light but I like them that way. Let them sink and reel them in real slow. Then let em drop, and pop and reel. Kinda like jigging and it works. I use the same tactic with larger spinners and get a decent response from the fishes. The idea is that the spinner will attract the fish, but to keep the attraction i have to add that extra touch in letting it drop again only to pop it back up. I also have no use for tuning a spinner for one reason: it acts a a hurt food item. As long as the blade spins but if it has an overall wobble, my theory is that it will entice the fish more since they can sense the weakness through their lateral lines. Any animal will take advantage of a weakness for their overall well being when it comes to survival. I have a few different sizes, colors and weights so I can fish in various water/weather conditions. My next step is to make some trolling gear for myself and my friend for some Kokanee fun!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Try some copper blades.

One of the 50 best lures of all time is the Daredevil spoon. The front is red & white. But, the back on the ORIGINAL was copper and is DEADLY.

I recently bought some trolling flashers with large copper blades. Haven't used 'em yet, but can't wait!

C
chrisohm
Once I get some extra cash I was going to reinvest in silver, copper, brass, black blades and bodies. I have another book that has details on making just about every piece of fishing gear I could want which will lead me to garage sales and Goodwill for spoons and other hidden treasures. A few weeks ago I took my son out to Green Peter with my friend in his boat. He doesn't have the motor for trolling but we could still toss a spinner out the back, cruising along as slow as possible from one spot to the next and produce trout consistently. It was a blast and now I have new toys to play with...just need some time to use them. Stupid yard!