Boot recommendations?

L
love2fish
Hi guys and gals,

I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find any posts related to boots recommended for wading. Someone recommended corkers to me last night but I was just wondering if anyone has other opinions on what kind of boots they like best?

Chris

Irishrover
Irishrover
love2fish said:
Hi guys and gals,

I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find any posts related to boots recommended for wading. Someone recommended corkers to me last night but I was just wondering if anyone has other opinions on what kind of boots they like best?

Chris
For wading the rivers with rocky bottoms (like most of them here in Oregon) my recommendation is the felt sole corked (studded) boot. That style of boot give you the best grip when you are out there in your wadders walking over mossy slimmy rocks. However if you use a drift boat or sled and are in and out of the boat go with the felt bottom boots. If I am in my fiberglass drift boat I use a pair of boots without the studs. The studs can mess up that fiberglass. What I don't use anymore are the rubber hip boots. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
J
joesnuffy
I'd recommend getting a rubber bottom wading boot that you can ad or take the studs out of.

the reason for rubber bottom is to help stop the spread of invasive species like snails and Diddymo.

H
here2fish
whatever you do remember the old saying "you get what you pay for." I have made the mistake in the past of buying cheap boots, and after half a season the boots were cracking and I had to replace the felt.:(

M
Markcanby
I recently got a pair of korkers that have a quick change sole. Rubber to hike to your spot then you put on the felts. You can also get the studded soles for them. I got them for 90$.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Chota STL has been my go to wading boot. They are a very comfortable boot for some longer hikes in. The spikes are easy to remove and they are not to hard on the pocket book. 99.00 if you look online.

L
love2fish
Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies. I will have to go to the store and try on a few different kinds you recommended and see what I like.

I live in East Portland - where is the best (cheapest) place to pick up these boots?

Chris

H
hendrixfan
I'm goin studded felt from here on out I think. I tried a pair of the Cloudveil with the Vibram 8x sticky rubber, and they were no match for the slick river conditions over east. The studded rubber might work just as well, but I can tell you for sure it was a night and day difference between my boots and my cousins studded felt. I was glad I bought the Cloudveils at Cabelas because of the easy return policy.

F
FishSchooler
Do you think wrapping your legs with with a pond liner and wearing boots would serve as waders?

H
here2fish
FishSchooler said:
Do you think wrapping your legs with with a pond liner and wearing boots would serve as waders?

hehehe....really?????

give it a shot.

F
FishSchooler
here2fish said:
hehehe....really?????

give it a shot.

Just one problem... liner is heavy x100

kirkster
kirkster
Markcanby said:
I recently got a pair of korkers that have a quick change sole. Rubber to hike to your spot then you put on the felts. You can also get the studded soles for them. I got them for 90$.

please tell me where did you find these boots for 90$

M
Markcanby
Sorry just saw your post I got them at Sportsman's or what ever they are now back around the first.