bonnieville dam today!

B
boberdown
you know i had this wild hair today just to take a little road trip up towards bonnievill and so i went to tanner creek first, two guys were there pitchin spinners and 10 ft off the bank out poped a 600 lb + seal that scared the crap out of me , one of the guys was upset cause he know it was ruining the fishing. there were many fish rolling all around but that seal had them stur crazy i think. so i went to the dam and went out to the island and procedeed to watch 20 + seals gourging them selfs with salmon. i wish i had my camerea they were coming clean out of the air with a salmon in there mouth. one after another after another i tried talking to them to bring me one to the bank lol but all they would do is blow there snout at me like i was interupting them...then i thought your day is done suckers cause odfw was there marking seals that they are going to uthanize on tue / wed from what he told me, one day too late as far as im consirned the eat about 150 lbs a piece a day acording to this odfw lady. she was sitting there observing the seals and talking back and forth to another about what seals were california seals and some other kind of seal i can't remember? any way watched a few fish go threw the window at the fish counter bonnie side and had a very nice conversation with the fish counter guy but he says most of the fish were going to the washington side! well makes sence cause when i was watching the guys on the washington side from a creek below tanner creek i saw a few fish caught.... so i think i will get my washington lic and bang a few over there since we can only fish from ;)the bank i 5 and up... anyway guys good luck out there im still in pursuit of my first springer...
boberdown

C
cchinook
seals

seals

In my humble opinion this is the problem : They are killing them off site after capture , this does not make an impression on them , they are probably thinking " hey , where is my buddy , oh well more fish for me ! " What should be done is to display their dead rotten bodies where they can see them , but that would not be P.C. So the feast goes on .

B
boberdown
cchinook said:
In my humble opinion this is the problem : They are killing them off site after capture , this does not make an impression on them , they are probably thinking " hey , where is my buddy , oh well more fish for me ! " What should be done is to display their dead rotten bodies where they can see them , but that would not be P.C. So the feast goes on .

yer right! they did tell me that they put a fake orca out there that was a replica of a killer whale and the dang things swam right on bye it! humm? :shock:

S
Swamp Puppy
cchinook said:

i agree with this. as much as some might cringe at the thought, animals learn real quick when they have to deal with the business end of a .30 caliber rifle. i doubt you would have to whack very many in the presence of the other sealions before they got a healthy respect for human presence and high tailed it out of there. yes, this would be an annual thing to "teach" the next year's batch, but IMHO (based on no scientific evidence whatsoever..lol) would be that after a few years the seals would simply find a new place to try to grab dinner.

C
cchinook
seals

seals

nothing else is working - one thing I do know in my 58 yrs. of breathing is that if I were a wealthy man and could hire fleets of lawyers to sue all the morons in charge of our fisheries , then things would change , as it is I can only be gratefull for what I can land , sometimes I think I should sell all my gear and take up stamp collecting - as far as I know there are not a lot of restrictions on that .

C
Cohosanders
they have to be fin-clipped post marked to be colletctable:lol:

N
nwkiller
heard they "re-located" a seal that was from fishermans warf back down to where he was from and released him with a tag........2 weeks later he's back up here at the damn.......10 grand later......pretty pathetic

T
The Nothing
nwkiller said:
heard they "re-located" a seal that was from fishermans warf back down to where he was from and released him with a tag........2 weeks later he's back up here at the damn.......10 grand later......pretty pathetic

I think that was Hershal the Sealion up in Seattle. I remember that guy from my youth.

K
Kodiak
Swamp Puppy said:
i agree with this. as much as some might cringe at the thought, animals learn real quick when they have to deal with the business end of a .30 caliber rifle. i doubt you would have to whack very many in the presence of the other sealions before they got a healthy respect for human presence and high tailed it out of there. yes, this would be an annual thing to "teach" the next year's batch, but IMHO (based on no scientific evidence whatsoever..lol) would be that after a few years the seals would simply find a new place to try to grab dinner.

I know a place and refuse to say where, but the seals are taught that lesson every year. It is amazing how quickly they learn that area is certain death from thunder when humans are around. They take a deep breath go deep and don't come up for a half mile up river. You wouldn't believe how many fish that section holds. They have been teaching it to thier young and we don't see half the number of 'em we used too...and no more seal poop on the dock to clean up.