Bonneville dam

K
kentsboots
I dont see a link to the fish window at the dam , pretty cool . Too bad its not a live cam tho .

Is there good fishing right the shore by the dam ? Or do you need a boat ?

F
FishSchooler
No fishing boats near bonneville dam no way jose, whitewaters and rapids will flip your boat and you wont find a place to anchor! Closed to fishing boats I think too. Shore fishing is better there, the shad,nooks,cohos,n steelies swim close to shore, no more than 35 feet away most of the time. The banks are closed right now, walk about 90 yards down river from tanner creek and you wlil pass the deadline, fish there.

F
FishFinger
If your going to Cascade locks you should consider Herman creek.
You'll either need chest waders, a float tube, pontoon, or reg boat to be able to drift the slot.

K
kentsboots
looks like we had 13,000 each day on the first and second of this month so far !

F
FishSchooler
this year is going to be a great run, 12500-13500 in the first 3 days of the season. It looks like dalles dam is getting a better steelie count than bonneville dam... how the heck does that work?!?! Same river and the further up, the less fish cause they distribute into all the tributaries inbetween the two dams... there should be more at bonnie than dalles... somethings fishy here...:think:

C
cchinook
counts

counts

despite the numbers they are probably going to cut us off before Sept. 16
except for coho and steel -

F
Fishtopher
Why?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Because ODFW are a bunch of Pirates...;)

F
FishFinger
Aye Matey

L
luv2fish
tanner creek is a place where you have to be there at 7 in the morning or you don't get a place for your rod.....other than that you have to be a competitive runner cuz when the gates open, you literally have to race with bunch of hillbillies. ( no offense to anyone)....i fish from bradford island and its no different then the mouth of tanner creek ( unless your fishing for steely's only ). I've bagged 3 steelheads from that place in 2 days...

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hey Raj, congrats on fishin a few Steel from there in a couple days...I know of a lot of people who get skunked at Tanner, Warrendale, and Bradford, everytime they go. You are doing somethin right man...

K
kentsboots
yesterday we had
15thousand chinook , 7 thousand steelhead , and 5 thousand coho :clap:

so where are the stinkin fish in our neck of the woods ... :(

F
Fishtopher
Went to Moffett creek today from dark thirty till 2 and saw 7 fish caught, three from the boat 40 ft out from me. :mad: Everyone i saw catch fish were using chrome/chart. Kwikfish. Guess who doesn't have any kwikfish.:think: . (....................................................................................complaining deleted............................................)

oh ya...congrats on the steelies!

F
FishSchooler
Wow... what can I say about the fish counts... record breaking... :clap::dance::clap:

K
kentsboots
todays numbers are in , looking promising !

L
luv2fish
in my view you don need any bait to fish there cuz to my understanding what we try to do there is that just put something annoying and color attractive in the travelling lane...i put firecorn on and walla..it worked..mebbe it was different from other people but hey it worked....lot of times i've seen everybody using the same thing....i caught one on plug and you won't believe ...it was caught on a size 16 kwikfish...chrome and chartreuse...without any scent...nothing....also one thing which i particularly noticed....if i use lighter weight, i get more bites and fish..if i use anything like 10 oz or 12 oz...i keep waiing and waiting...i reasoned it this way----if the dropper is heavy i feel the line very tight..but with light dropper-6oz it's kinda tight but at the same time has that kinda right tension...i donno how to explain it ..but it works for me...and thats wat i do when i fish from there...
i didn't had my camera...its a cheap digicam which i use as webcam too and i left it at home both days...anyways...i hope i get a nice nook this saturday when i fish from there....

F
FishSchooler
Now the steelie numbers are in... not when I went...
:(:mad::think:
This year is gonna be one short season with all the numbers... 15000 nooks again, 1600 jacks, 6100 coho, and 7300 steelies, and 1400 wild steelies, 1 sockeye, and 32 lampreys.
It would be funny if you landed a nook with a huge lamprey on it, sucking on your future smoked salmon. :lol:

K
kentsboots
I got dibs on that one sockeye ! :dance:

F
FishSchooler
Lol :lol:
But its already up the river...
The hottest spot for catching sockeye is costco. :lol:

F
Fishtopher
:shock:How in the world do you throw anything smaller than 8 oz pyramids??!! Even when i was thrown 8's, a few times my line kept rollin until it actually surfaced!!! Other times my line settled so far down stream, I had to walk 15 yrds just to get my line in my "comfort zone" Anyways it kinda seems cheaper to use r.r. spikes. Maybe better for the environment, as when you throw lead there, you lose anywhere from your said 6oz., to above 12's, every, time, you cast. I ended up tradin some stretchy thread for two spikes after I lost my last 10 ouncer. It seemed like I was gettin hits like crazy, but I couldnt get but one to stick, and it only held for maybe 20 seconds:(:(. Have you been to Moffett this season, Luv2fish?
At the veiwing window there Lamprey sucked on to it that were 2 feet long it seemed!!:think::think: How big can they get anyone?? I posted a link to some pics of em in another thread somewhere. Kinda blurry though!