Boiler Bay- Fish on!!

S
Shadelady
well, we got 2 more rock fish out of boiler bay. the gold balls are working, they arent quite heavy enough and i did lose some of them

T
The Nothing
I want to fish there soon... you'll have to show me the ropes!

S
Shadelady
would be happy to share what i know... which isn't a lot. i just keep trying things.
have had success with squid and tuna so far. others down there use clams and shrimp and herring. i am starting to think they'll take just about anything.

if you didn't catch my other post, i have been using golf balls as weights- its cheap.

you cannot be really afraid of heights.... the cliff makes me wary.

if theres more you have questions about i'll do my best to answer. if you let me know when you are headed here i can try to meet you there if you'd like. my time is really flexible, which is code for i am not working.

S
susqwahanna
Were you with another fellow on the other side of the bay from the pull out on the rocks. I seen two folks over there fishing last Sunday at around noon?

S
Shadelady
that might have been me. seems like it was later than 12 but who knows, i was fishing! LOL! i usually go over on the side by the picinic tables.

S
Shadelady
went again today- i got one greenling, well thats what someone told me it was. if it was it was too small to keep, so back it went. my girlfriend got a starfish- we're feeling skunked.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Shadelady said:
well, we got 2 more rock fish out of boiler bay. the gold balls are working, they arent quite heavy enough and i did lose some of them
Please tell me that is some sort of typo. Did you mean golf balls not GOLD balls. :lol: I can't afford that kind of fishing. Sounds like you are doing well in Boiler Bay. They only thing I've caught there was a sea slug.

S
Shadelady
Irish i admit i am a horrible typist, but its no typo... i lose a lot of tackle- and i just can't stand it (probably why i am so bad with the salmons and steel heads) so i was thinking, whats cheap and sinks? ESPN was on, golf no less. so i looked it up and the average golf ball weighs 1.5 oz... so i just tie on 2. other people screw in eye bolts, but i just drill through them. i caught a really nice looking fish yesterday, a fellow down there said it was a greenling- was too small to keep. however, i only lost one hook all day- we were there for about 5 hours.

the only down side to the balls is they bounce- and i feel a lot like a strike... takes a little getting used to.

do you know of other places in the area that are more productive?

F
fourgotten
Shadelady said:
went again today- i got one greenling, well thats what someone told me it was. if it was it was too small to keep, so back it went. my girlfriend got a starfish- we're feeling skunked.

It was a beautiful 10-inch kelp greenling... Too bad that ya had to throw it back... :cool:

S
Shadelady
fourgotten-
we're you the fella we ask about it? if so, glad to meet you again.

F
fourgotten
Shadelady said:
fourgotten-
we're you the fella we ask about it? if so, glad to meet you again.

Unless there happened to be two other women fishing there and having just caught a small kelp greenling and had it in a white plastic bucket while trying to determine it's length....

How did the mussels and ghost shrimp work for you, or did you get to using them?

S
Shadelady
we tried the mussels and the shrimps, i think we were getting bites, but with the golf balls its hard to tell. i still spend a lot of time randomly jerking my line. it keeps me entertained. we didn't stay a whole lot longer after you left- it was getting pretty cold and windy.

F
fourgotten
Shadelady said:
we tried the mussels and the shrimps, i think we were getting bites, but with the golf balls its hard to tell. i still spend a lot of time randomly jerking my line. it keeps me entertained. we didn't stay a whole lot longer after you left- it was getting pretty cold and windy.

Don't blame you there... it was getting kinda nasty... I was there yesterday and the surf was INSANE!!!!! When you snag up and the wave pressure against your line is enough to nearly double your rod... it's time to give up on the fishing... :lol:

I'll be back out there later this week when the surf's lower.

B
bucketman009
i fish boiler bay a lot and usually do pretty well down there, i have a friend that lives in depoe bay and he has given me a lot of tips about bait and jigs that work and i have also picked up a few things along the way myself, drop me a message and i will give ya some pointers.

T
The Nothing
Starting to sound like we need to schedule a Boiler Bay meetup! If it falls on the right day, I should be able to make the drive out and join in the fun!

S
Shadelady
a meet up sounds great to me- i am always willing to learn.