Boggs Tacklemaker closing shop?

P
PacRat
After another unsuccessful troll for coho on Friday morning, (we all can't be as skilled as Fishydog:clap:) I decided to hit BC Angling and stock up on supplies for the Fall Chinook season.

Since I'm a new "twister" (not to be confused w/ tweaker, but maybe just as addicting), I wanted to pick up the C-Head for the larger gauge wire. I inquire from the new guy, and he explains they just tried to place an order last week and the company is not filling any and is possibly closing their business. He mentioned there was a possiblitly that another co. might purchase their inventory, but was unsure of the details.

I know I can go back to using my pliers, but was hoping to pick up the extra heads. So all you twisters be on the lookout for spare parts if you use the Boggs unit and if anyone has an extra, I'm in the market.

Cheers,

PacRat

O
osmosis
I'm pretty sure someone will buy the company and get it rolling again. lets just hope they keep their quality high.
I personally prefer the leadmasters anyhow, unless I have to make 1,500 in a day.

F
FishSchooler
I use a screwdriver, lots of duct tape, and regular old pliers.

Osmosis-I remember you discussing about split ring pliers and how they will make "demented" loops with the hook. Couldn't use just twist a loop without making the twist around the shaft, slip the hook on, then continue?

O
osmosis
I covered that before. what you described is how we do it. you create an open loop, slide the hook in, then you pinch it between the "anvil" section of the pliers to finish the wraps.
The other option is to take a dremmel or similar tool and create a slot in the conical tip for the hook to go into - which gives you the clearance to create a round wire loop.

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
I covered that before. what you described is how we do it. you create an open loop, slide the hook in, then you pinch it between the "anvil" section of the pliers to finish the wraps.
The other option is to take a dremmel or similar tool and create a slot in the conical tip for the hook to go into - which gives you the clearance to create a round wire loop.

Do you do this with your thumb for the wraps? Or pliers? I use a wrench like pair of pliers and a pair of needle nose to make wraps.

O
osmosis
I use my thumb. Now lets stop hijacking the origional topic.

I hope the boggs arent gone forever, my c arm is about worn out..

Irishrover
Irishrover
Cabelas twister

Cabelas twister

I got my twister from Cabelas. I am sure it's just a Boggs relabled Cabelas like they do to a lot of there stuff. You might want to check Cabelas out. I know it looks the same as the twister in the Boggs vidieo that show how to use the thing, and it works the same.

P
PacRat
Irishrover,

I thought they were the same too, it might be worth it to just order the extra parts and see if they fit. Thanks for the head up.

PacRat

F
Fishydog
PacRat said:
After another unsuccessful troll for coho on Friday morning, (we all can't be as skilled as Fishydog:clap:) I decided to hit BC Angling and stock up on supplies for the Fall Chinook season.

Since I'm a new "twister" (not to be confused w/ tweaker, but maybe just as addicting), I wanted to pick up the C-Head for the larger gauge wire. I inquire from the new guy, and he explains they just tried to place an order last week and the company is not filling any and is possibly closing their business. He mentioned there was a possiblitly that another co. might purchase their inventory, but was unsure of the details.

I know I can go back to using my pliers, but was hoping to pick up the extra heads. So all you twisters be on the lookout for spare parts if you use the Boggs unit and if anyone has an extra, I'm in the market.

Cheers,

PacRat

I guess I've been too busy to post those pix, here they are...
IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg

...she was a beautiful 26" hen:dance:
she hit a wiggle wart at the mouth of the Clack.

Let me know if the 'C' head from Cabelas works, I need to get one as well.

F
Fishtopher
Nice fish! Do you twist up Spin N Glo lures?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Fishtopher said:
Nice fish! Do you twist up Spin N Glo lures?
I went through all my old spin n glows, cut the old wire off and rebuilt them with new hooks and new wire. Piece of cake!

F
Fishtopher
Irishrover said:
I went through all my old spin n glows, cut the old wire off and rebuilt them with new hooks and new wire. Piece of cake!

Bein' a plunker at birth, I had tons of SnG's around, and these guys got me twistin' spinners I did a bunch of wired SnG's.
Before, just runnin' the spin n glo on mono it was a crap shoot as to when I would have a serious rats nest going on while I thought I was fishing.
Now with 'em wired, I always use a swivel on the top loop, and never reel in a horrid mess.

F
Fishydog
I've never done it but I bet it's easier than spinners.
Now we just need to get Kodiak to start making us some UV spin-n-glows :D