bobber's ?????

B
BIG D
HEY EVERYONE, Never used a bobber for salmon or steelies can someone help me do you use weight at the bottom to hold it down or just the weight of the eggs is enough ?? thanks for any reply

THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE IS FISHING WITH THE WIFE:dance:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Float fishing deep holes can be very effective for Salmon especially. Run a slip float system, and don't go much bigger than a couple of ounces. That would be for a big, deep, boily hole. I run 1/2 - 1 oz. Beau Mac floats for Chinook, and I can fish those anywhere on the Clack. Sometimes I step down to 1/4 oz. systems though. Rigging is hard to explain, but here goes... From the top, down... Stop knot, bead, slip float, bead, swivel at the end of your main, then your leader with hook/s and bait/s. You can run weight off of a droppr attached to your swivel, or do what I do. Pinch on some split shot to the leader tag end you leave long, and I have these Bau Mac "cheater weights." A small lead corkie essentially. That goes above my eggs in some slots where I need the bait to drop in, and set the system qiuckly. Most floats you buy will have rigging instructions, but if you need more help, or a picture, let me know. I probably have one in the archives someplace.

B
BIG D
Thanks aa, need to make a run to fisherman's dont have the right kind of bobbers think i'll try joes see if they have anything left before running clear out marine drive thinking about going out to the wilson tomorrow any suggestions thanks dave

A
ArcticAmoeba
Don't buy Salmon Stalker, or Steelhead Stalker floats, And droppers off of your swivel should be pretty short, as to not interfere with your leader. Also bank sinkers work well, but cannonballs seem to do the jod and do't get tangled as much as I initially thought. So I use 'em.

The Wilson should be on the rise here shortly, and if it starts below 4.5, and rises up above 5, it should fish really well. I hook a ton of Steelhead in that river between 600, and 1100 CFS this time of year. If you target Steelhead in the Wilson, look pretty close to the bank on this rise, and drift small baits, like coon shrimp, or small presentations of eggs. Those fish don't like big globs of eggs on the rise usually. But like most places, Peachy King yarn, with a bit of black, or white, drift fished with just enough split shot to tap once or twice, always hits one or two for me anyways.

But there are some nice pockets to float fish. And you want to make sure you cover the whole, hole... Get it? Cast to the far side, and let it ride the wall lets say, then next cast let it drop 4 feet closer on the far, upstream side of that boulder. Next cast on the closer, upstream side of the boulder, and so on, so forth. Cover all of the water you see in the hole you are fishin. The fish are going to be holding tight to the bottom right now, so having a properly set float system is imperative. Good luck!

B
BIG D
Thanks guys, a lot of help,good video to, AA the only kind of slip floats i could find are slip-eze they came with stops and beeds hope they work ok will find out tomorrow got some last supper borox and curing up some eggs have some sand shrimp and some coons Hope that something works gotta get this stink off me I'll let you know when I get back if anything worked

A
ArcticAmoeba
Last Supper is hands down my favorite off the shelf cure. It actually does not need anything to be effective to catch a buncha fish in varying conditions. I do add special chemicals, and scents, or oils, but that is purely for preference, and the water I fish primarily. But let your eggs gets nice and juicy, they should technically be flipped a few times per day for at least 2, but I have fished 24 hour cures, and whacked fish. Slip-Eze are fine, as long as you weight them properly. You may find that some floats need more or less lead than what they are labeled, to sit right in the water. But a simple cast or two will determine that for you when you get to the river. And one thing about float strikes. They are not always clean "bobber downs." I have had many this year where the fish simply grabs, and holds the presentation. So the float just slowly leans over. Swing at any odd bobber downs, or any funny disturbances in the way your float drifts.

B
BIG D
Thanks AA you were a big help I'll let you know if the wife out fishes me tomorrow or if one of us gets the stink off us haha thanks again Dave

B
BobberDown
west coast are a grate float to and i love the inline flaot weights they ride nice and are very easy to use good luck Dan

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yeah, those in-line kidney weights are nice, except the Fishermans around here rarely has any under 2 oz. But I actually got some off of Craigslist a couple years ago. From 1/4-2 oz. in quarter oz. increments. Got 50 each, of 1 oz. and up, and 75 each, of sub 1 oz. stuff each for about 100 bucks. And they had swivel chains attached at each end to boot!

B
BobberDown
ya they are some time hard to come by sportmans ushally has them or i always have them o my site i make them. mine only have a scrane swizle thoe but the shure make for a simple set up hay if yo guys ever have truble getting them let me know
thanks Dan

C
cchinook
weights

weights

I have caught a lot of nooks bobbering - I use EGG SINKERS - main line runs through their centers - they come in all different weights -

L
luv2fish
ArcticAmoeba said:
Yeah, those in-line kidney weights are nice, except the Fishermans around here rarely has any under 2 oz. But I actually got some off of Craigslist a couple years ago. From 1/4-2 oz. in quarter oz. increments. Got 50 each, of 1 oz. and up, and 75 each, of sub 1 oz. stuff each for about 100 bucks. And they had swivel chains attached at each end to boot!

thats what i use..i've them in 1/2, 1, 1-1/2, 2, 3 oz....i rarely use anything over 1 or 1-1/2 oz on clack..

P
PDXKush
Not to hijack but I picked up some Danielson Easy Drifter floats 1/8 oz. Are these only good for Trout or can I pull a Chromer with them? Any advice. Peace Andrew

M
metalmania
PDXKush said:
Not to hijack but I picked up some Danielson Easy Drifter floats 1/8 oz. Are these only good for Trout or can I pull a Chromer with them? Any advice. Peace Andrew

I use a lot of 1/8 when chasing steels on eagle creek but I usually run a 1oz or more to float a lot of the deep springer water.

P
PDXKush
Cool deal. Thanks for the 411