Bobber color

Diehard
Diehard
this is pointed more to the newer fishermen but if your bobber fishing much and your having trouble seeing your bobber possibly in low light conditions or your letting your bobber free drift down the river quite aways try useing bobbers with a bright yellow top these can be seen way better than say an orange top bobber which in turn can save you some missed hooksets/fish the reason why i am posting this is because i have been out of the yellow top bobbers for awhile and just replenished my supplys and there is a huge diffrence in being able to see a yellow bobber at further distances and lowlight conditions verses the common orange top bobbers hope this helps a few people and if any one has anything to add or correct me on feel free as this has just been learned on my own as i log hours of fishing / trial and error

S
SantiamDrifter
For first light bobber fishing, Putting a glow corkie above your bobber works good. Or so Im told. I like to sleep in lol

J
JeannaJigs
I actually have a heck of a time seeing yellow top bobbers. They don't agree with my eyes for some reason, maybe I'm getting old. Love my orange and black thills for this reason, and have no issues seeing them 20 thousand miles downstream at dusk. I think it just depends on a person's eyes.

Diehard
Diehard
thats really weird that you say that so it must be in the eyes because i can see the yellow bobbers at least twice as far as an orange top bobber so i guess every body will have to figure out the colors they see best on there own i guess that just goes to show dont believe everything you read/hear thats kinda interesting

A
Anyfishisfine
I'm partially color blind and I can't see red at all against the water. The yellow sticks out like a laser for me.

O
OnTheFly
Although considered a strike indicator, these little things do the same thing as a bobber but designed for fly lines. To me, a White Thingamabobber is the most visable in darker conditions.
Strike Indicators

C
ChezJfrey
Diehard said:
thats really weird that you say that so it must be in the eyes because i can see the yellow bobbers at least twice as far as an orange top bobber so i guess every body will have to figure out the colors they see best on there own i guess that just goes to show dont believe everything you read/hear thats kinda interesting

Agreed. I prefer yellow myself, but obviously some people have trouble with those and it would appear that it is an individual thing to find what suits your particular eyesight.

B
beaverfan
Orange and white are the ones I see the best.

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah see I think it totally comes down to each individual's eyes, and their own perception of color. Also, a good chunk of the male populous is color blind to some degree (true story) and not everyone is aware of it.

P
ProfessorChromology
I love the yellow heavy bobbers and can see them for miles. We call them the BIG YELLOW SCHOOL BUS. You can also throw them forever with no weight.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I've noticed that for me - it all depends on the lighting conditions and the amount of glare on the water's surface. I recently started 'rolling my own' bobbers - I turn them out of balsa and paint them up myself. I've made bobbers with yellow tops, orange tops, green tops, and red tops. On a recent trip, my nephew (youngfishtyler) was using one of my bobbers with an orange top, while I fished the yellow top model. I could see my bobber more easily, despite them being the same size, with the same amount of top above the water line. That was on an overcast, but bright day, with a good amount of glare on the water's surface. During a bright, sunny summer's day, a darker bobber can be more visible, or a bright green one will show up better.

I guess it's one of those things to play around with. Model paint is pretty cheap, and you can mix your own custom colors/shades if you really want to go wild. I've become pretty fond of Tamiya's line of paints recently, when doing up my bobbers...

A
Anyfishisfine
GungasUncle said:
I've noticed that for me - it all depends on the lighting conditions and the amount of glare on the water's surface. I recently started 'rolling my own' bobbers - I turn them out of balsa and paint them up myself. I've made bobbers with yellow tops, orange tops, green tops, and red tops. On a recent trip, my nephew (youngfishtyler) was using one of my bobbers with an orange top, while I fished the yellow top model. I could see my bobber more easily, despite them being the same size, with the same amount of top above the water line. That was on an overcast, but bright day, with a good amount of glare on the water's surface. During a bright, sunny summer's day, a darker bobber can be more visible, or a bright green one will show up better.

I guess it's one of those things to play around with. Model paint is pretty cheap, and you can mix your own custom colors/shades if you really want to go wild. I've become pretty fond of Tamiya's line of paints recently, when doing up my bobbers...

It would be awesome if you could do a write-up of your homemade bobbers in the homemade tackle section.

G
Growbug
SantiamDrifter said:
For first light bobber fishing, Putting a glow corkie above your bobber works good. Or so Im told. I like to sleep in lol

yup... if you are using a slip float, then you can stick a glow corkie, or i use glow bead, above your bobber. Works well for a couple of drifts, then shine a light on it again to keep going.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Anyfishisfine said:
It would be awesome if you could do a write-up of your homemade bobbers in the homemade tackle section.

I think I can probably do that in the next week or two. I've made a few different styles so far - slip floats, slip/fixed combos, and a new style (for me) of ultra-light fixed float that use a small diameter body and a wire spinner shaft for the quill. I'll probably do a few out of cork too soon, since I found some decent corks at the craft store (perfect size & shape for bass poppers, as well as ultra light floats)

I'll have to get some more balsa, but I can do a pictoral on how I made the floats for sure.

F
fish_4_all
Glow sticks on top make it visible in low light for miles. I use them for night fishing trout all the time. Gonna use them for summers this year when I make late night trips. They have some really nice ones that have clips to secure them to the top of a float. This won't work in daylight of course.

My fishig buddy uses a bright corky on top in a contrasting color. Seems to make the float a lot more visible in any light condition. It also helps you see that your line has pulled all the way through.