Bobber and fly on The Deschutes

F
fishwhisper
Greetings,
Going out to the Lower Deschutes for the first time. I am going for trout with a fly and bobber and light spinning gear. Looking for some advice about where/how to fish. I don't fish rivers much, I mainly float tube with wolly buggers and do really well. Also, are there bass in the Deschutes? Thanks much, any help appreciated.

J
joesnuffy
Um, this isn't fly fishing. It's lure fishing, with a fly.

18406ej
18406ej
FishWhisper- PM sent.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Cheater fly fishing...I love it

Cheater fly fishing...I love it

joesnuffy said:
Um, this isn't fly fishing. It's lure fishing, with a fly.

joesnuffy;
You're right,technically it isn't fly fishing. But I love using flies with my spinning rod. No,it isn't the same casting skill,but it does catch fish. And,believe me,if you could see me with my fly rod,you would be wishing I would use my spinning rod instead. Luckily I have a nice large back yard. Until I am sure other fisher folk around me will be safe,I'll use the fly rod in the backyard and the spinner on the water. I still have a great time no matter what I am using. Hope you are out there catching all the big-uns!
Be safe.
Barb

T
Troutier Bassier
I used a Fly reel on a Spinning rod, What do you call That!

P
platteflyfisher
fly reel on spinning rod

fly reel on spinning rod

That's called ingenuity, or also what saves the day when you realize your flyrod is in it's tube leaning against the garage door at home. Dohh! Been there. Thank goodness the wife had her spinning outfits with her.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Successful?

Successful?

Troutier Bassier said:
I used a Fly reel on a Spinning rod, What do you call That!

Troutier Bassier;
Innovative? Improvising? Inventive? Fly Spinning? Did you catch anything? Then it would be called successful! :dance: I have a friend in southern Mexico who has never held a rod,yet catches all sorts of fish. He uses a twine and hook,with the twine wrapped around his finger. :shock: Try that out. ;)
Be safe.
Barb

T
Troutier Bassier
Yes I caught 2 Brooders at Salish ponds. on a Green Butt Skunk I Think it was.

S
steelhead1
no advantage?

no advantage?

I have been fly fishin for a couple years now,doing well on dries almost exclusivly.I can't seem to find the purpose of casting a nymph,with weight,and a strike indicator, and a kitchen sink, on a fly rod. I have a very hard time casting all that weight,always get frustrated and slim it down.So why use a fly rod with that setup,when it would be sooo much easier to use a spin setup?Any insight would be appreciated!

F
fishwhisper
Steelhead1, I don't fly fish, and according to some I shouldn't even be here but I do a lot of trout fishing in my float tube. I use an ultralight with 4# and a weighted wolly bugger. I tie them with .020" lead around the shaft, and a tungsten bead head. I can usually cast them far enough to start trolling. This has worked extremely well for all the stocked ponds around Portland, and for some wild brooks and browns. From the bank, casting far enough is tough. I can usually only get away with this with a boat of float tube.

H
halibuthitman
steelhead1 said:
I have been fly fishin for a couple years now,doing well on dries almost exclusivly.I can't seem to find the purpose of casting a nymph,with weight,and a strike indicator, and a kitchen sink, on a fly rod. I have a very hard time casting all that weight,always get frustrated and slim it down.So why use a fly rod with that setup,when it would be sooo much easier to use a spin setup?Any insight would be appreciated!

Steelhead, the purpose of nymphs is to catch fish while the hatch is in the nymph stage, which is the longest stage, i personaly rarely fish nymphs, and when I do it is rarely with wieght and never with a strike indicator... i switch to streamers and target larger ( and less ) fish until the hatch truely comes off... if you are needing weight on a nymph you need to tie them with more weight or stop buying flies from india and pakistan, and cast furthur upstream, learn how to mend line properly and the strike indicator will be the tip of your rod.. if you can't cast the set-up you described you are not propperly loading your rod and not effectively double hauling your cast... most people avoid things they cannot do well, sounds like you dislike a very effective style of fishing becouse you cannot cast weight well, becouse your fundementals are not evolved to the point of casting weight. google casting nymps and you will find 50 free lessons on how to cast weight, if you can't cast a bass plug 25ft.... your cast is poor-

Last edited:
J
joesnuffy
Raincatcher said:
joesnuffy;
You're right,technically it isn't fly fishing. But I love using flies with my spinning rod. No,it isn't the same casting skill,but it does catch fish. And,believe me,if you could see me with my fly rod,you would be wishing I would use my spinning rod instead. Luckily I have a nice large back yard. Until I am sure other fisher folk around me will be safe,I'll use the fly rod in the backyard and the spinner on the water. I still have a great time no matter what I am using. Hope you are out there catching all the big-uns!
Be safe.
Barb

i didn't say there's something wrong with it. I just want him to know that it's not "fly fishing" :p

As for using nymphes and indicators. You need to learn to fish nymphs. Nymphs are in the water year round, even when there are no dry flies on the surface of the water.

I do use an indicator with weightednymphs most of the time. Not only does it help show strikes, it also acts to keep yor fly at the correct depth. Nothing worse the snagging the bottom on every cast.

Troutski
Troutski
Ahaaa...

Ahaaa...

joesnuffy said:
i didn't say there's something wrong with it. I just want him to know that it's not "fly fishing" :p

As for using nymphes and indicators. You need to learn to fish nymphs. Nymphs are in the water year round, even when there are no dry flies on the surface of the water.

I do use an indicator with weightednymphs most of the time. Not only does it help show strikes, it also acts to keep yor fly at the correct depth. Nothing worse the snagging the bottom on every cast.

A closet bobber angler, no denying it you have been busted. I learned how to fly fish using nymphs, my catch rate was wonderful - the only thing is it took 17 years to finely catch a fish on a dry fly. I still nymph fish but very little dry action, I don't use a strike indicator for nymphing..seems to change the action in my humble opinion; I do weigh my flies on the heavy side and use a sinking line..very heavy sinking line. The larger fish seem to like the deep holes, so my fly is in there face - my heart is starting to race just a bit talking about it. Heck I even weight my hoppers for Browns on Crescent creek.

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
i havn't used a fly and bobber since i picked up my first Fly Rod. :p

S
steelhead1
yo halibuthitman

yo halibuthitman

halibuthitman said:
Steelhead, the purpose of emergers is to catch fish while the hatch is in the emerging stage, which is the longest stage, i personaly rarely fish emergers, and when I do it is rarely with wieght and never with a strike indicator... i switch to streamers and target larger ( and less ) fish until the hatch truely comes off... if you are needing weight on a e-pattern you need to tie them with more weight or stop buying flies from india and pakistan, and cast furthur upstream, learn how to mend line properly and the strike indicator will be the tip of your rod.. if you can't cast the set-up you described you are not propperly loading your rod and not effectively double hauling your cast... most people avoid things they cannot do well, sounds like you dislike a very effective style of fishing becouse you cannot cast weight well, becouse your fundementals are not evolved to the point of casting weight. google casting nymps and you will find 50 free lessons on how to cast weight, if you can't cast a bass plug 25ft.... your cast is poor-

While I dont claim to be an expert,I believe the NYMPH stage is the longest part of the insects life cycle,usually a little over 75% of lifespan.Emerging (ecdysis) is but a tiny fraction.(Fishing the nymph by Jim Quick).So,huh:rolleyes:? As far as the flies I cast,they are lovingly hand tied by a local master at the two rivers fly shop in Albany,as I wont buy imports when given the choice.My cast may be poor when it comes to lots of weight and junk attached,but my question was not of ability,but of function.I may be wrong,but isn't the point of fishing with a fly rod simplicity?I just thought if a person is gonna use weight,wouldnt a spin setup be just as,if not more effective(no backcast)?Furthermore,I can cast weighted flies(bead heads,woolies ect) without too much struggle,but when the bobber and split shot are added it just seems to extrapolate tangles and flubbs.I dont dislike this method,its just that I am a newbie to the art,and it seems like a given that if your gonna have a quarter ounce of weight on your tippet,its almost out the realm of what Im trying to accomplish with fly fishin.:D

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
yes you got me on the typo, you were speaking of nymphs I was thinking of nymphs but wrote emerger, so I apoligize, now in the end of the last comment you made a statement about casting a bobber....on a flyrod? thats pretty tough, for anyone, so Im asuming I am misunderstanding you, If there is a fishing style on earth meant to be for simplicity I think flyfishing would be the last one I would think of, I have never considered it simple on any level. NO STYLE OF FISHING on the sportsmans scene can compete with a fisherman who can properly present a bobber on a river, flies, roe, plastic, jigs... all fish amazingly under a bobber, and i personaly feel you are using the most productive river fishing style there is if you are using a bobber... correctly. as for hand tied flyshop flies, did you ask if they are weighted and how much? many nymphs are tied in several weights. Good fishing

O
OnTheFly
I think the bottom line here is the choice or method of fishing you prefer. If you can't seem to cast a #2 stone fly nymph out with a fly rod then give it a go with a spinning reel.:rolleyes: Remember, 80 or 90 percent of fly fishing is sub-surface therefore being able to effectively fly cast with weighted bugs is essential.:cool:

G
GrillMaster
Fly angling only

Fly angling only

There are some bodies of water over here on this side of the mountains that specifically state "fly rod, fly reel and fly line". These waters don't allow a spinning gear at all, we do have some that allow both methods.
There is just something about drifting a nymph deep over the boulders on the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette up stream from Westfir. I use fairly light tackle when I fly fish, I also enjoy the older fiberglass rods for this method. I collect the old Fenwick brown style, easy to load the rod and with the new shooting heads I can actually get a decent distance - sometimes technology is a good thing.

GM

S
steelhead1
halibuthitman said:
yes you got me on the typo, you were speaking of nymphs I was thinking of nymphs but wrote emerger, so I apoligize, now in the end of the last comment you made a statement about casting a bobber....on a flyrod? thats pretty tough, for anyone, so Im asuming I am misunderstanding you, If there is a fishing style on earth meant to be for simplicity I think flyfishing would be the last one I would think of, I have never considered it simple on any level. NO STYLE OF FISHING on the sportsmans scene can compete with a fisherman who can properly present a bobber on a river, flies, roe, plastic, jigs... all fish amazingly under a bobber, and i personaly feel you are using the most productive river fishing style there is if you are using a bobber... correctly. as for hand tied flyshop flies, did you ask if they are weighted and how much? many nymphs are tied in several weights. Good fishing

Hey yo.wasn't trying to get you on anything,thought maybe you were b.s'in me;).And yes I was saying bobber when perhaps"strike indicator" would have been more appropriate.When I speak of simplicity,I can fit everthing I need to flyfish in my front pocket,and my four piece st croix fits into a small tube that is easily carried, attatched to my pack.What could be simpler than a fish eating a bug inocently drifting by?Not much rocket science going on there.As far as technic is concerned,definitly a learning curve,but the concept of it is basic.Figure out what the are eating,and fake it! I dont have any issues with the use of bobbers(did I imply that I did?) I will use whatever will catch fish more consistently,no snobbery here.When conditions are so, that weight is required to get down to the fish,is usually when I will add some shot. otherwise the weighted (or not weighted) will be attempted as warranted by said conditions.K?:D

P
platteflyfisher
Enough already

Enough already

We get it, you don't like wind knots, even they are self imposed. The most effective way of nymphing is short line nymphing but it's not really effective with high waters or strong current unless you plan on swimming. Let's get back to fishing. Headed to Detroit tomorrow after Ty Curtis show in Salem. Then I'll head around the lakes towards Eugene and a little MacKenzie action. I'll let you all know how it's fishing. I carry a stream thermometer so if water is warm, no line will be put in. I don't stress fish and it seems most cnr fisherman here, although unwittingly, are just abondoning fish to die. I'm sorry you all can't make it to the get together. You sound like cool people to meet with lot's of knowledge. I'm waiting for final say so from the "Boss". Hope I can do enough honey do's. Sorry for interrupting, cheers.