Boatmotor help

C
Charlie_merrifi
I have an 83 12ft smokercraft. It's rated for a 7.5 hp motor. Should I go short or long shaft. And it has a 34lbs thrust trolling motor. Should I go bigger

T
Thuggin4Life
Measure the transom. 15" transoms are for shorts. My 34lb electric works fine for trolling on speed 2-3 without any wind and great for sneaking around bass fishing. Upload a picture of your boat. I had a 12' valco rated for 7.5 and I started with 6. it would plane me but 2 guys was slow and 3 stupid slow. got a 9.9 really quick solo but not quite fast enough with 2 and 3 people again too slow. so I doubled the rating and got a 15 and bam. need a bit of bow weight to run solo or she bounces a bit but to guys is quick and with 3 its still quick enough. and you can't get in trouble for going above the rating as long as you do it in reason and 8, 9.9, and 15 horse motors come in the same package and are light. especially 2 stokes so there is know stern weight issue which could be a problem. Like I said take a pic and I'll let you know what I think would be a good motor for your 12'er. I am on my 3rd 12' boat and I wouldn't put my 15 on my first boat.

C
Charlie_merrifi
I will upload a picture later. I don't need real fast or anyhting

C
Charlie_merrifi
Ok I had my wife send a pic to my phone not great buy ok. It is also rated for two people. I will only be using it places like Detroit and other small areas

af437867.jpg

T
Thuggin4Life
short shaft for sure. that boat ain't much bigger than my first one. I wouldn't go much more than the rated 7.5. Might want to weigh down the front a bit when going solo and get a 9.9 just so shes supper quick. No less than 7.5 for 2 people might even be perfect. the back seats gonna be on the wrong side making it akward to steer the motor.

C
capblack
Andy, did you say you put a 15 hp on your 12 ft valco?
Thuggin4Life said:
short shaft for sure. that boat ain't much bigger than my first one. I wouldn't go much more than the rated 7.5. Might want to weigh down the front a bit when going solo and get a 9.9 just so shes supper quick. No less than 7.5 for 2 people might even be perfect. the back seats gonna be on the wrong side making it akward to steer the motor.

T
Thuggin4Life
oh yeah doubled the rating. it was a solid boat and wide. my little boat that was smaller than that smoker craft was rated for a 12 even though it was hard to even stand up in.

K
kfallscody
Hey, that is exactly like my little boat. :) I put a 9.8hp on mine and it moved pretty good with two adults and a child. By myself, it needed a bit more weight in the bow but wasn't a huge deal.

As a side note, be careful with that boat in any sort of rough water. Read my sticky post in this forum "Wear your life jackets" to learn from my experience with that boat in some halfway rough water... :-/

C
Charlie_merrifi
Yeah it is nothing special but for $300 I couldn't resist

C
Charlie_merrifi
It is not the most stable definatley not in the wind

C
Charlie_merrifi
Thuggin4Life said:

Why would the steering be awkward

T
Thuggin4Life
Because of the location of the tiller handle on the motor. Gonna be right up agains your side I will post some pictures tomorrow my buddys birthday and we have had a rough week not to mention my long haul up to porland for an all dayer springer trip. trust me though it wont be the best way to go about. good luck with your new boat and a good deal if it don't leak. I personally will never own a riveted boat again.

T
Thuggin4Life
Iaght man my homie helped me out. So check it out, my boat is way wider than yours so picture my motor on your boat then try to put yourself in my buddies spot look how akward it would be.

C
Charlie_merrifi
I see. Will have to see