Boating a Sturgeon

S
Seon
Okay, now that you've caught a keeper, how do you bring it onboard?
Hoist it up by the body/tail? Use a snare? :think:

Reactions: FishFinger
F
Fishtopher
I grab 'em in their big ol' ugly mouth.

C
Commodore S
a lot of peeps have nets

Last edited by a moderator:
P
panderson01
Hey Shawn,

How did you end up doing Friday? We got skunked!

Did you go out Saturday also?

Paul

C
Commodore S
Sturg

Sturg

El-skunko for us also, yeah went with wifee sat, a lot of boats movin around, thought if I go next sat I'll take some dramamine, hard to see the bite when your rollin all day. Lots-o-shakers though, we'll give it another try next week Thurs& Fri only. Headin to the estuary as soon as things pick up out there. Thanks agian on the ANCHOR CADDIE very nice addition to the magic carpet

Last edited by a moderator:
J
joemomma
I got a grip all glove, and as soon as I think I got a keeper, I put it on my left hand (right handed), bring to boat grab leader with right and grab just ahead of the tail, and lift! They will tear up a nice 100$ salmon net real quick with there barbs! Lot's of people do it, but every now and then I see a salmon go through a net and wonder if they have been netting sturgeon! Never lost a keeper yet, doing this!

P
pathfinder
i had picked up a tail snag and finaly tried it while sitting besides Joemomma last friday fishing for Sturg . ... It worked great!

B
BlackTalon
Boating sturgeon

Boating sturgeon

I usually grab the smaller ones by lower lip. Keeper size lower lip and then a hand around base of tail. Big ones, you unhook in the water and let them go.

Evan

O
osmosis
I usually grab them by the tail.

S
Seon
BlackTalon said:
I usually grab the smaller ones by lower lip. Keeper size lower lip and then a hand around base of tail. Big ones, you unhook in the water and let them go.

Evan

Great! We'll do that next week when we go out ;)