boat to buy?

J
justfishin
hello guys. i was offered this in a trade. it's 1974 craftsman aluminun with match motor 4 HP and trailer. e-mail i got below

Hello, would you like to trade for a nice Aluminum Boat with a matching Motor on a good Tilt Trailer, trailer is adjustable for a 10-16' boat, currently setup for the 1974 Sears Lowline 12' Aluminum boat with a 4 hp motor made by Chrysler for Sears / JCPenny / MontgomeryWard, has a rare sought-after top-mounted gas-tank, the motor has not been run in 2 seasons so needs a good tuneup, newer solid white paint on the boat and black paint on the trailer, new stickers, boat just passed a marine inspection, clean title, new oregon boating tags good for next 2 years, I have pictures (all together worth $1600)...

yes? no?

Last edited by a moderator:
B
bd2cool
Hi,
This is only my opinion but I would first decide want I would take in cash for my ATV, and then how bad do I want a boat.

Again this is only my opinion but I would not give more then $400 for the the boat.
I got my 14' Glastron for $650 with a 18 hp for $650. It was ready to hit the water and tag for 09 when I got it.

I feel that for $1600 on Craiglist you can get a pretty dang nice boat for the much money.

J
justfishin
thanks

thanks

thanks thats what i thought. the atv $2400 new in 2004 ( nice ride). i was looking for some kind of trade for a small boat or 4- wheeler. my boy now 6 is a fishing fool!!! got him started late summer and caught his first fish. He's hooked. Small boat?

B
bd2cool
If you take your time a good small boat (14-16 footer) can be found on Craiglist for $600 to $900 lake ready. Be ready to look at a lot of lemons!:)

With the one I got all that I had to add was the fish finder it. It came with the top cover,Fire Extinguisher,life jackets,air horn,running lights.

If you get a boat with a 10 hp or bigger don't forget your Oregon Boating license before you hit the water!:cool:

If you don't have one now I would recommend getting one before I got my boat so I would be ready to get wet.

J
justfishin
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the info!!! about all i can do is 12ft. for storage.

Troutski
Troutski
12 footer...

12 footer...

justfishin said:
Thanks for the info!!! about all i can do is 12ft. for storage.

Nothing wrong with a 12 foot craft, I would recommend to get as wide and deep a boat that is possible. Lund makes a great 12 foot aluminum nice and deep and wide, a bit on the spendy side but well worth it. Take your time and shop around, if I see any thing in my travels I will send you a link.

Chuck

J
joeyota
I have a 12ft aluminum boat and love it. I use it almost as much as my bigger one.

The boat in the pic looks like it was not meant to be painted, probably going to start peeling of in a season or two. Those old motors seem to run forever, but it has been forever since it was made?

I agree sell your ATV for cash and buy a boat and have gas money left over to take it out fishing.

The big nice boats are over rated! I catch more fish out of my old beat up scrapper boat than the one I am making payments on.

T
trollin4trout
Agree with others above. Look around at some 12 footers. They are not all made the same. Some are narrow and shallow sided. Others are nice and wide and deeper inside. Climb in and sit in a few of them until you can tell the difference. It can be a world of difference in your comfort and safety. I also agree that you should be able to get all the fixings and a much better package than that, for that money.

Patience, especially in this economy, should NET you a fine fishing machine!

H
Hawk
From Craigslist i bought an ol' wide 12' aluminum boat fer $195. I already had a 12volt electric trolling motor & battery. So far i've just used it in my basspond....................:D

Best O Luck on your boat search BRO & young BRO..........................:D

During the winter i turned it upside down over some firewood................:dance:.......................:lol::lol::lol: