Boat Registration Questions

sportsmanlio
My friend just bought a boat, and he was wondering what he needs to do. I know he needs a boating license/boater ed card, but what else?

It has a 15 hp outboard, and I am curious if this needs to be registered. I am an insurance agent, so I answered those questions for him, but is anything else necessary before the boat hits the water?

capblack
sportsmanlio said:
My friend just bought a boat, and he was wondering what he needs to do. I know he needs a boating license/boater ed card, but what else?

It has a 15 hp outboard, and I am curious if this needs to be registered. I am an insurance agent, so I answered those questions for him, but is anything else necessary before the boat hits the water?

any boat with a motor gas or electric needs to be registered, if theres no motor, then you need an invasive species permit.

Reactions: sportsmanlio
Diehard
just bought a new old boat i signed the back of the tittle put in a check for my fee witch was $30 for title transfer this will come with a card that you carry with the boat it is like a car registration then they charge by the foot for your tags you will need this was $53 for a 16' boat when you send in the title include in the envelope a written request for a trip permit "hi please send me a temporary permit" because it takes a long time to get tags then theres the safety gear you have to have on board a certified floatation cushion a horn of some type fire exstinguisher and a paddle check for correct types of all of these items and if your out at knight you have to have the proper nav. lights hope this helps a little

TJR_84
Life jackets for every person on board, fire exstinguisher if you do not have a throwable gas tank, throwable floating device, nav light for night boating, Noise make like whistle or air horn, set of paddles. I always carry flares just in case, i fish the rivers a lot and if something happens and im forced to stay the night they make great fire starters! Also get a marine officer to give you an inspection so you will be water ready.

Hawk
A bow mounted Gatling Gun...:lol::lol::lol::lol:
hahahaha

Hawk
Get a floating Key Holder for any keys you don't want to sink if they fall in the water.

donb
Nobody mentioned the Oregon Boater Education Card, which must be carried on board when operating a powerboat in excess of ten horsepower. You need to pass the test, which can be done online, to get your card.

See Oregon State Marine Board at State of Oregon: Oregon State Marine Board.

sportsmanlio
Wow! What a wealth of information! He is working on the boater ed card, but I already have mine, so I told him I could drive if he gets everything else ready in time. I was gonna buy a boat myself, but I ended up getting a touring kayak instead. Sadly, I sold it to help pay for school, but it was nice when I had it!

This is all great info. I will pass it along, and hopefully we can use it this Friday after work. I'm hoping to either go to Lake of the Woods to finally catch a kokanee in that lake or try to get to some hard to reach shorelines at Topsy for crappie. Should be fun either way.

Man, I love this site!!!

capblack
donb said:
Nobody mentioned the Oregon Boater Education Card, which must be carried on board when operating a powerboat in excess of ten horsepower. You need to pass the test, which can be done online, to get your card.

See Oregon State Marine Board at State of Oregon: Oregon State Marine Board.

it pays to read the original post ;)

Top Bottom