Boat paint?

T
Thuggin4Life
Does anyone know what kinda of paint they use on the interior of aluminum boats? You know the rough speckly stuff. Or how to get it and how easy it is to apply? Ussually its a grey blue or grey black color.

G
GDBrown
Boat Paint

Boat Paint

Thuggin4Life said:
Does anyone know what kinda of paint they use on the interior of aluminum boats? You know the rough speckly stuff. Or how to get it and how easy it is to apply? Ussually its a grey blue or grey black color.

Check at Western Marine Supply They have a store in Delta Park area and one down by Wilsonville or maybe Tigard someplace, It's just off I-5. They were very helpfull to me when I did my painting. Just expect it to be expensive.:confused::shock:

GD

S
SNDSLGR
Zolotone

Zolotone

Zolotone is the name of the stuff commonly used on all big name sleds and drift boats. Its great stuff but I have heard that proper prep is very important.

F
fisherman1042
Paint

Paint

Well the prep is the most important, I have had a lot of failures with all kinds of paint, believe it or not the best success was with a good exterior acrylic latex and Zinsser bullseye 123 primer. This was a budget job that has outlasted anything else I used. The key is prep, most paints react with the aluiminum and will start peeling off, Zinc cromate is the best but is hard to get in small sizes, Another is bed line paint that is water based, Plastikote from walmart, primer was Zinsser bulls eye. The bed line paint has large rubber particals that can be filtered out with paint filters for a smoother finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
G
GDBrown
Good job Painting

Good job Painting

fisherman1042 said:
Well the prep is the most important, I have had a lot of failures with all kinds of paint, believe it or not the best success was with a good exterior acrylic latex and Zinsser bullseye 123 primer. This was a budget job that has outlasted anything else I used. The key is prep, most paints react with the aluiminum and will start peeling off, Zinc cromate is the best but is hard to get in small sizes, Another is bed line paint that is water based, Plastikote from walmart, primer was Zinsser bulls eye. The bed line paint has large rubber particals that can be filtered out with paint filters for a smoother finish.

Nice job! I've heard the prep is the hardest part with aluminum. That's because the metal starts to oxidize almost Immediately. :wall:I've also been told that if you prep small sections and prime that section immediatley you have better results, at least get the primer on within an hour of prep. :D

D
DirectDrive
SNDSLGR said:
Zolotone is the name of the stuff commonly used on all big name sleds and drift boats. Its great stuff but I have heard that proper prep is very important.

I highly recommend using clear coat as the final step.....much easier to keep clean.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
west marine has interior paint . zolotone is what was very comon on most boats . one thing , boat paint = $$$$$ . i have seen people use the "do it yourself" bed liner kits (rhino liner , tuff liner type stuff) with damm good results . probably cost about the same .

G
GoneFishin2134
I used Rusto Anodized Bronze in a Spray can. lol. Just used a 6" Wire wheel on my 7" Angle Grinder to rough up the Surface, then TSP to clean out the boat. Looks amazing. only took 6 cans and less than $20. Time will tell how long it holds up. I'll post pictures of my WIP soon.

M
McMudpuddle
fisherman1042 said:

That looks very nice, lets see a pic of the rest of her.

X
xltom
I've been doing a lot of research on this and here's the process I came up with.

First clean it up..a light sanding should do for thuggin's boat to get off any flaking paint. If you paint over the bad paint it will continue to fall off. Don't use strippers anywhere near seams or rivets. I used 220 grit sandpaper. Don't worry about getting all the paint out..just the bad stuff

Next use solvent to remove any contaminents(grease ect..) that soaked into the aluminum. Simple green will work for light dirtiness.

Use 50/50 water/white vinegar to begin to acid etch the aluminum. This will get rid of a lot of aluminum oxide. Just wipe in and rub it around. Don't rinse, just let it evaporate.

If you need to seal rivets and seams, nows the time. Use Gluvit!!! It can be purchased at koffler boats for $40. You should put this on bare metal. A wire brush attatchment for your drill or dremel wll help.

Now primer. You need a self etching primer from NAPA. part #7222. Zinc-chromate would be optimal but the real stuff is illegal now(for use in the private sector). The napa stuff is "called" zincrom but there's none in it or any other brand. They used real zinc chromate in the 40's for aircraft...Another supposedly Zinc Chromate primer is made by Moeller's and can be found online(this one has lead chromate).

Once your primed the top coat isn't all that important..I just mean you don't have to spend a fortune on it. Rustoleum in a quart can or gallon would be fine or you could get their marine stuff. Apply with rollers.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah I need to start working on the boat or at least buying supplies. Think I want to use the zolotone for interior paint though.

X
xltom
Thuggin4Life said:
Yeah I need to start working on the boat or at least buying supplies. Think I want to use the zolotone for interior paint though.

That stuff seems OK as long as it's not too expensive. Kinda makes your tub look like fiberglass. I have'nt slipped in my boat so I'm not worried about texture. If that stuff is spendy and you're worried about slipping there are a few ways to do non-slip(sand, splatter). I'll be working on mine as soon as I get a nice day and no homework. I'll come over and help with yours too if you want. Just don't forgt to clean, etch and prime or you'll be doing this again very soon...

2 cans of NAPA zincrom= approx. $10
1 gallon vinegar= $2 (walmart)
I know you already have solvants, you neat freak! To get out all the shrimp oil!!!

I'm sure I'll have leftovers of some things too, so keep me in the loop....We both need to flip our boats over several times to rinse them out and stuff so a little help is good...My little 85lb girlfriend isn't much help with heavy lifting...

Last edited: