Boat in the willamette

C
Combat Chuck
Ive been wanting a small aluminum boat and always thought I could take it out in the evenings for bass. I just realized that maybe I should ask first before buying. What I would like is a simple 14" aluminum with a 25 horse prop motor. Would this be ok in the willamette around Albany? Is the prop safe?

Bass Man
Bass Man
Hi Combat Chuck,
I'm no help when it comes to the motor or boating on the Willamette but just to let you know Craigslist has a bunch of 14 ft. Aluminum boats for sale in the Corvallis/Albany area.

1bigfish
Unless you have a lot of experiance I would not take a small boat like that out during the really high flows in the winter and spring but other then when the water is really ripping you should be fine. I know people who go out on the Willy all the time in boats like that and do just fine.
As far as the prop goes, well that will be up to you. I run the Salem stretch and I usually destroy one prop per year. Most of the other people who run the same area don't. What is the difference? The driver. I will run to places that other people just write off during low water conditions so that I can fish the spot that I want to and because of that I don't always make it through some of the shallow areas. If you learn the river and all of the shallow prop busting areas and avoid them then you will have no problem with running a prop. If you take chances and run the boat over really shallow areas... well you will eventually get the same results I get.:mad:

C
Combat Chuck
Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. And I know there are many boats out there... it just eats away at me :D Me not having one right now is all due to a wedding I need to pay for (mine) and an attempt of a down payment on a house.

1bigfish
Sounds like you are a busy man. Once you have your boat and are ready to learn some new areas let me know and I will show you around the Willy in Salem.

C
Combat Chuck
I really appreciate it 1bigfish! I have a lead on a boat that I would be able to make payments on, hence my questions. Im jumping the gun a little but wanted to be sure I could use it where I wanted before I talk with him.

J
juggernaut506
I've never taken my 14' Alumacraft with the 9.9 Honda out in Albany for fishing in the summer. During the summer I use it between Cartney Park and Peoria for fishing and have no problem motoring/floating downstream then motoring back up. I just make sure I have someone up at the front of the boat to yell at me if it gets too shallow during the late summer flows. During the winter I've never had a problem taking it anywhere in the river during high water.

Troutski
Troutski
Prop guard...

Prop guard...

Combat Chuck said:
I really appreciate it 1bigfish! I have a lead on a boat that I would be able to make payments on, hence my questions. Im jumping the gun a little but wanted to be sure I could use it where I wanted before I talk with him.

Here is a nifty gadget that will allow you some peace of mind, they do have a reputation of stealing a bit of the horse power through. Good luck on the boat search, er aah and the impending wedding; yea congratulations.

T
Thuggin4Life
I have a 12' with a 6 horse that I have had in the Willy several times. Not sure what the river looks like up by you but if you take it easy and get to know the stretch of river you fish you should be fine. Try to have a few shear pins in your tackle box with the tool you need to replace one. Having a guy spotting up front is a good idea and I wouldn't do it any other way. I got my boat on craigslist and always look every week and see many boats like one that you want.

J
JAYDEE
Im not sure what the waters are like in the willy towards albany but i take my little 12 foot aliminum boat out in the sloughs that run off the willy like the willy greenway out soth river rd in salem and i do just fine in it although ive never went on the main willy just little back water sloughs off the willy. But like thuggin4life said if you did take it on the willy you should take some sheer pins because the willy is full of snags in areas.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
I need to take my own advice and buy a sheer pin or two.