Bluegill

T
Thuggin4Life
I have heard that a big bluegill population can have negative affects on a bass population. From what I understand they are a food source for the bass but when the bass spawn the bluegills swarm the nest and eat the eggs. And I think they eat the baby bass as well. I have been killing bluegill for years when I catch them bass fishing. Is this a good idea or not?

A
Anyfishisfine
I caught my largest Bass on a live bluegill. I don't think that's allowed here though.

I guess it's all about balance. Many animals, including us, feed from the spawn of others. Part of me says nature needs to take its course.

T
Thuggin4Life
Anyfishisfine said:
I caught my largest Bass on a live bluegill. I don't think that's allowed here though.

I guess it's all about balance. Many animals, including us, feed from the spawn of others. Part of me says nature needs to take its course.

I've heard similar stories but they are from cali. It's not legal up here.

S
steelhead1
I think you could kill bluegill till the cows come home,it woulnt have much impact.in the end its really a question of ethics.both are an introduced and invasive species.

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
I have heard that a big bluegill population can have negative affects on a bass population. From what I understand they are a food source for the bass but when the bass spawn the bluegills swarm the nest and eat the eggs. And I think they eat the baby bass as well. I have been killing bluegill for years when I catch them bass fishing. Is this a good idea or not?

I don't believe that to be true. When I was a kid I fished a couple of ponds that had a large population of bluegill and still had a large population of bass. It also had a good population of crappie, brown bullhead, and warmouth too.
Now this same pond is full of bass and carp. I haven't caught a bluegill or crappie in there in years. And I've caught some small 10 to 12 inch bullheads but nothing like when I was kid.