Bluegill near Pdx?

B
buddah426
anyone know of a good spot for bluegill near portland (most places listed are a bit far to drive for his short attention span)? looking for a place to take my son to do some light fishing and i grew up fishing bluegill in california. i think its these memories that make me want to take him for some bluegill instead of trout. dont get me wrong, but i loved fishing for those little guys growing up and would like to show him some new species... any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Troutski
Troutski
Gravel Pits

Gravel Pits

buddah426 said:
anyone know of a good spot for bluegill near portland (most places listed are a bit far to drive for his short attention span)? looking for a place to take my son to do some light fishing and i grew up fishing bluegill in california. i think its these memories that make me want to take him for some bluegill instead of trout. dont get me wrong, but i loved fishing for those little guys growing up and would like to show him some new species... any suggestions?:think:

Old gravel pits, like Green and White.....Wildish.....any place there is a man made hole full of water their will be Crappie and Blue Gill/Brim. We used light weight rods and reels sometimes fly and sometimes spinning rod and reel with a bobber and fly. Black Ant and Red Ant patterns use to work very well.... Good luck and have fun.

Chuck

C
chris61182
Troutski said:
Old gravel pits, like Green and White.....Wildish.....any place there is a man made hole full of water their will be Crappie and Blue Gill/Brim. We used light weight rods and reels sometimes fly and sometimes spinning rod and reel with a bobber and fly. Black Ant and Red Ant patterns use to work very well.... Good luck and have fun.

Chuck

Do you happen to have any leads on old gravel pits? I remember hearing about one somewhere west of Tualitan but I can't remember anything more about where exactly it was or even what it was called.

Troutski
Troutski
Checking...

Checking...

chris61182 said:
Do you happen to have any leads on old gravel pits? I remember hearing about one somewhere west of Tualitan but I can't remember anything more about where exactly it was or even what it was called.

I know a guy that might have the location of a few in your area...the way I understand it you must get permission...but it is just a formality, they just want to know who is there... Don't leave a mess and once they recognize you they just wave you by. I will send you his number....(pm) Tight lines.

Chuck

F
FishKiller23
Ive hooked a few crappie and Bluegill at westsalish pond near fairview OR.

Give it a shot I also hear they have Bass on one side and catfish.

Wilsonriverfisher
Wilsonriverfisher
Bluelake park (Blue Lake has self-sustaining populations of warm water game fish, i.e. bluegill sunfish, black crappie, and large mouth bass. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife does stock rainbow trout in the spring.) (Blue Lake Regional Park is located between Marine Drive and Sandy Boulevard off Northeast 223rd Avenue. From Interstate 84, take the Fairview exit (14) and go north on 207th Avenue to Sandy Boulevard. Turn right onto Sandy and travel east to 223rd and turn left.

S
southside_10
I used to fish bluegill and crappie with the kids just north of Oaks Park on the Willamette on the east side of the river. This was long before the rails to trails thing turned the whole area into what it is today.

We would park at Oaks Park and walk down the rail road tracks to where a large pipe that drained the wetlands on the east side of the tracks into the river.

Great crappie hole and lots of bluegill there too.

Peace, Tom

F
FishSchooler
That crazy looking pond right behind Oaks Park with the stream flowing into it from the willamette? Mmmm. It looks dirty from online maps...

S
southside_10
FishSchooler said:
That crazy looking pond right behind Oaks Park with the stream flowing into it from the willamette? Mmmm. It looks dirty from online maps...

That used to be just a flood plain years ago. The river would rise and fall and the area would flood and go back.

The big pipe was a fill/drain for this area and the pan fish just loved hanging around there when the water was running out. We fished the river side only.

We also would go into the marsh when it would flood and harass the grass carp that where in there.

Man, that was a very long time ago. Like 35+ years.

Peace, Tom

Last edited:
B
bowzer1972
Anyone have some specific spots at Blue Lake where I could take a 5 year-old for some decent fishing? Easy access, bountiful fish? I don't want him to get too discouraged with the fishing process. We spent 3 hours at Hagg Lake and got blanked a couple weeks ago. Thanks!!

Wilsonriverfisher
Wilsonriverfisher
blue lake has lots of spots just go there find a spot if the fish are not biting there after 1/2 hour-hour move that lake has lots of spots for fishing

mike
bowzer1972 said:
Anyone have some specific spots at Blue Lake where I could take a 5 year-old for some decent fishing? Easy access, bountiful fish? I don't want him to get too discouraged with the fishing process. We spent 3 hours at Hagg Lake and got blanked a couple weeks ago. Thanks!!

L
Linda
Washinton side

Washinton side

Battleground Lake and Vancouver lake but of course license required and ?expensive perhaps dont know

I
Ifishforfood
i fish blue lake for 'gills all the time. fish to the left of the cement fishing dock, next to the willow tree, on either side. good luck.

T
Troutier Bassier
At bluelake there is a number of spots you can fish. My most productive has been near the willow tree on the west side of the lake. Cast a bobber and worm with a small hook (#12 and smaller) and slowly reel or just give it twitches.
You can also go to Salish Pond on the east pond and go to the benches near the apartments. Do the same thing as you would at bluelake but set your leader a little bit deeper.

Good luck!