Bluebacks

T
Thuggin4Life
any advice on blueback fishing?

O
Osprey
I grew up fishing for Bluebacks on the Alsea, but for the life of me I can't remember what we used. We trolled and caught some nice fish over the years. The only time that sticks in my mind was one time when my pole was about jerked from my hand. I was maybe 8 or 9 we thought I was snagged. I just kept reeling in, it was if I had picked up an old tire off the bottom. Then we saw a large white flash in the water. I kept reeling and landed a 27 lb. Flounder. When we got back to the dock (Tailors Landing) they took a picture of me with it and said it was the biggest one ever caught up that far in the river. MMM good eating!:):dance:

L
lizardman
Things you will need:
1. Metal Band Aid can (for putting worms in...either night crawlers or the red worms that are local to the area)

2. small shovel (for digging worms)

3. leaders (4 or 6 pound)

4. Hooks (big enough to put 1/2 a worm on if using night crawlers or a whole red worm.

Things you might want:

Spinners (tie a spinner with either one or two blades on your main line and then tie about two to three feet of leeder to your hook. Cast out upstream and do a slow retrieve [just enough to get the spinner to work])

lures like panther martins, rooster tails, or mepps (1/16th -1/8th sizes, take a variety of colors as brass and orange have worked for me, but so has nickle). These are a back up to the bait if you aren't getting bites.

either find a deep pool to cast into and let your tackle settle to the bottom and then do a slow retrieve to you, or find a snag (tree root ball, log, etc..) and thump the snag with your lure and let the lure settle to the bottom of the water and bring back to you

Places to stand:

find a dog wood tree or other brush and stand with your back in or under the bush to hide you.

Good luck. I will be on the coast in the middle of October and will try a couple fresh water streams for trout, and will try off the rocks for Greenling (sea trout) and Perch.

Dave

F
fishin_fool
The last time I trolled for bluebacks I used an Uncle elmers troll blade set about 2-3 foot leader worm and 2 white corn kernals and I also like clown rooster tail in size 1/6

T
Thuggin4Life
where were you trolling at?

F
fishin_fool
I don't remember the name but I believe we put in at the first marina up river from florence and trolled up river from there