Blue Lake crappie

I
Ifishforfood
does anybody know where or how to catch the crappies in blue lake? all i have caught are sunfish, but ive heard there are crappies in the lake. any tips would be great.

S
Snagger
Bobber and a piece of worm on a small hook, stay close to the bank.

troutdude
troutdude
Bobber and a crappie jig. Twitch the rod tip (dancing the jig), let it sit. Twitch, sit, etc.

S
SailCat
I learned a simple yet highly effective technique when an older fellow was fishing (and catching) near me on a lake and have used it exclusively since. Cast out the float and jig, let it settle, then start a retrieve, turning the reel handle one-half turn, then pausing, then a half turn and so on. The result is a very consistent (and effective) movement of the jig. Count to four or five as the jig rests until the timing becomes automatic.

I find this tiring and repetative if the fishing is very slow but if there are crappie around, it just works.

Good fishing!

Michael

troutdude
troutdude
SailCat said:
I learned a simple yet highly effective technique when an older fellow was fishing (and catching) near me on a lake and have used it exclusively since. Cast out the float and jig, let it settle, then start a retrieve, turning the reel handle one-half turn, then pausing, then a half turn and so on. The result is a very consistent (and effective) movement of the jig. Count to four or five as the jig rests until the timing becomes automatic.

I find this tiring and repetative if the fishing is very slow but if there are crappie around, it just works.

Good fishing!

Michael

X 2. Yep, I have done that too. And it not only works on Crappie, but bluegill and trout (and likely other species too).

I
Ifishforfood
thanks for all the advice everyone! i will try this out when i go to the lake tomorrow. i will be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

F
fishy4
are there boats aloowed at this lake?

I
Ifishforfood
yes, boats are allowed with or without motors. you can also rent a boat from the docks if you like.

troutdude
troutdude
Ummm...the only Blue Lake that I am familiar with, is in the Cascades, near Suttle Lake and HooDoo Ski resort. That water is WAY too COLD for crappie.

Perhaps you guys are writing about a different lake?

I
Ifishforfood
the blue lake im talking about is in fairview, near chinook landing boat launch.

I
Ifishforfood
oh yeah, sorry to get back with everyone so late. i fished the lake after this post, but didn't catch any crappies. i did happen to catch my first two keeper largemouth, both in the 11 inch range. i also stumbled across a ton of gills on their spawning nests, and caught 50 keepers, and about 15 releasers. i also caught some pretty cool looking hybrid bluegill/ green sunfish that were about 1/2 pound. the day was extremely fun, and well worth the 6 mile bike ride!

troutdude
troutdude
Ifishforfood said:
the blue lake im talking about is in fairview, near chinook landing boat launch.

Yep, that's a different lake. Thanks.

troutdude
troutdude
Ifishforfood said:
oh yeah, sorry to get back with everyone so late. i fished the lake after this post, but didn't catch any crappies. i did happen to catch my first two keeper largemouth, both in the 11 inch range. i also stumbled across a ton of gills on their spawning nests, and caught 50 keepers, and about 15 releasers. i also caught some pretty cool looking hybrid bluegill/ green sunfish that were about 1/2 pound. the day was extremely fun, and well worth the 6 mile bike ride!

How did you get all of those fish back home?

C
CrawfishPDX
wow sounds like a great time at blue lake. What part of the lake did you fish?

I
Ifishforfood
i got a secret spot, but i will give a tip. fish in the lilys with a worm, or fish next to shore and sight fish for the sunnies. oh, i got all the fish home in my backpack, in a couple grocery bags.

F
fishy4
if i was to take my raft out there what direction should i travel where should i be? i went there yesterday pulled about 12 bluegill out all about 4 inches to 6 inches long. nothing big. any areas where bigger fish hang? i was at the dock fishing against the wall right when you first enter the dock.

Thanks

D
dawgchaw
fishy4 said:
are there boats aloowed at this lake?
Paddle boats, row boats and canoes are available to rent at Blue Lake between May 1 and Sept. 30. For more information about boat rentals, call 503-661-6087. Privately owned watercraft are allowed on the lake for the purpose of angling between Oct. 1 and April 30, as long as they do not exceed 14 feet in length (17 feet for canoes) and 3.0 horsepower in motor capability.