Blue-Green algae hits Selmac too...

B
Browning
I just found out through BBB that Selmac has an algae bloom now too. A quick online search came up with nothing, but a call to the resort confirmed it :mad: He said it wasn't bad enough to close the lake (yet) & that people were still swimming. Oh well, my campsite for tomorrow is already paid for. Screw it, I'm going fishing.....

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Browning said:
I just found out through BBB that Selmac has an algae bloom now too. A quick online search came up with nothing, but a call to the resort confirmed it :mad: He said it wasn't bad enough to close the lake (yet) & that people were still swimming. Oh well, my campsite for tomorrow is already paid for. Screw it, I'm going fishing.....

I saw a TV news report tonight. Toxic Algae is not only found now at Diamond and Selmac, but 3 other lakes too (and NOT all in the south of the state).

BEWARE, that stuff is NASTY. You don't even want to inhale the air particulates released from the algae i the water!

B
Browning
troutdude said:
I saw a TV news report tonight. Toxic Algae is not only found now at Diamond and Selmac, but 3 other lakes too (and NOT all in the south of the state).

BEWARE, that stuff is NASTY. You don't even want to inhale the air particulates released from the algae i the water!

He told me that they (The State) have been testing the water 3 times a day. If their still allowing swimming, it can't be too bad. I'll still call first, might have to head somewhere else if it takes a bad turn.

troutdude
troutdude
I sure hope that you don't wind up sick from it.

BTW, since it has now infiltrated 5 Oregon Lakes...I am wondering if the algae is carried on boats from one lake to another?

C
colbypearson
Browning said:

BBB as i waylon?? honestly a little fishing pressure off the lake is a good thing sucks about the campsite though- lmao i jumped in 3 days ago

B
Browning
colbypearson said:
BBB as i waylon?? honestly a little fishing pressure off the lake is a good thing sucks about the campsite though- lmao i jumped in 3 days ago

Yes Waylon, actually his wife. I was going to meet him to pick up an order, but he's fishing the tourney at Howard. I'm heading over now, I'll put up a report tomorrow if I survive:shock:

R
rippin fish lips
what other 3 lakes is the algae in?

T
Throbbit _Shane
I know willow and diamond have it.

R
rippin fish lips
yeah i know about diamond. havent heard of willow.

C
colbypearson
Browning said:
Yes Waylon, actually his wife. I was going to meet him to pick up an order, but he's fishing the tourney at Howard. I'm heading over now, I'll put up a report tomorrow if I survive:shock:

good luck!!!

B
Browning
Well, the fishing was good :D I ended up catching 15 bass in about 4 hours Saturday evening. Nothing over 3 lbs.. And only three over 2lbs. But a good fun day. The algae bloom was pretty much non existent. But it did keep the people away. Maybe 10 boats on the water? Nothing to brag about, but beat the hell out of working! :lol: