Blue Gills...?

H
Herefishyfishy
I'm just curious about the posts where people are catching blue gills. Are they targeting them? Do people eat them or are they a sport fish? I'm just asking because in my experience they have been a pain in the butt bait stealing nuisance while trout fishing that will literally bite anything shiney including just a brass swivel. This is not a smart a** post I swear. Have I just been in ultra prime blue gill water before? I can tell you if you want to catch those things the dock at Loon lake is primo!

F
fishy4
I target them. specifacally during summer when trout arent stocked in lakes anymore and i want to make a quick fun trip. depends on where the bluegill are from and how big they are those are deciding factors on weather i eat or not. i only eat the bigger fish. smaller arent worth trying to cut. not bad fish when you pan fry em up.

H
Herefishyfishy
Huh...I may have to try that sometime. Thanks!

F
fishy4
no problem. if you do fry em. make sure to remove all bones. thats a fun part. lol other then that they eat real good

Q
qwapaw
Quite a few years ago, I fly fished for Blue Gill and did real well. You are correct the larger ones eat real good. I would get a Fillet a little bigger than my thumb on each side and the wife would make fish and chips. Man was that good. It does seem like there were more big Gills back then. Now most that I catch on bait are too small. Have fun, and tight lines, Qwa

V
ves
There one of my favorit fish to eat. We fillet them out and put them in beer batter. We use the leftovers for crawdads. Makes a good mid afternoon snack with friends.