Blue filet....why??

B
bythesea
I caught some nice lings yesterday. And I also caught some really nice male rock greenling.while fileting I noticed the meat was lightblue in color. Is this normal ? if so why.Anybody know?.....On a stronger note the more I do this jetty fishing the more I love it. I guess I -WAS- kind of a newby at it.

S
steelhead1
This is normal.Sometimes lings will have beautiful blue-green meat too. The color will fade with cooking.
:D

B
BobbiDollPDX
It's from their diet, it will turn white when cooked.

I love ling cod. I've already got salmon thawing for dinner tonight, but now I think I'll take out some ling for tomorrow.

S
skunk
If you find a way to make the greenling taste good, let me know. That's the one fish that I can't stand.

T
The Nothing
skunk said:
If you find a way to make the greenling taste good, let me know. That's the one fish that I can't stand.

Pride of the West.

D
Drew9870
The Nothing said:
Pride of the West.

That does the trick for just about anything, lol, you could batter a turd in that stuff and serve it to someone and they will be begging to know what it was and how you made it.

Last edited:
B
bythesea
skunk said:

Fish Chowder, mmGood

C
CoastieFlo
Hey nice to see another Florence person, how far ru going out on the Jetties to get lings? Ive never been able to find any myself, just greenlings.

And yeah the coloration is from the shellfish in their diet, both greenling and lings will have it. Good thing on lings is that its easier to spot the worms that way, cause a lot of times they will have one or two in the flesh (gross I know but true!)

B
bythesea
CoastieFlo said:
Hey nice to see another Florence person, how far ru going out on the Jetties to get lings? Ive never been able to find any myself, just greenlings.

And yeah the coloration is from the shellfish in their diet, both greenling and lings will have it. Good thing on lings is that its easier to spot the worms that way, cause a lot of times they will have one or two in the flesh (gross I know but true!)

About 3/4 way out,might try again in the morning.gotta catch the right tide a good early low low is best.maybe we could Hook-up sometime.

M
Moby Dick
The Nothing said:
Pride of the West.

That is a popular and common seasoning I guess? Where can I get it? thanks, mar

T
The Nothing
It's a fry batter. As far as I know, it's only available at Winco. I've not seen it anywhere else.

M
Moby Dick
so it is to make like a breaded dish? and it is intended for any type of meat? fish, chicken, pork, etc? is it hot or very flavorful? thanks much, marie

D
Drew9870
It is just an all purpose batter mix, it doesn't bread up thick at all. Not spicy, you could actually add your own seasoning.

Last edited: