Bloom Lake Nov 7

C
chris61182
Bloom Lake is very near lost lake, only it's a hike in lake, 1.75mi and only moderate elevation gain. The first thing I noticed upon arriving at the lake was the complete lack of garbage; none, nada, zip, zero, zilch! Even hiking around it I only found the most minimal evidence that other humans have even been there before me.

As with my trip last week to lost lake, in a nut shell I'd say the fishing was fantastic, while the catching was terrible. The water was stained, with maybe only 3ft of visibility at best. And the newts, don't get me started on the newts, you could nearly walk across the lake on them. They were quite aggressive too, biting at my spinners when jigged around the trees. I can only imagine that bait fishing with so many aggressive newts around would be next to impossible. Heck, I could barely keep them off of spinner being retrieved.

Now for the fish, I didn't see any clear signs there were even any in the lake. The newts were making plenty of small swirls but I did see a few slightly larger splashes that I assume were fish but still could have just been an energetic newt.

After my last few trips I fear my season may be on the fast track to wrapping up for the year:(. Though I do have at least one more lake in mind. Next up is Soapstone Lake, anyone ever fish there?

Troutski
Troutski
Gret looking lake.

Gret looking lake.

chris61182 said:
Bloom Lake is very near lost lake, only it's a hike in lake, 1.75mi and only moderate elevation gain. The first thing I noticed upon arriving at the lake was the complete lack of garbage; none, nada, zip, zero, zilch! Even hiking around it I only found the most minimal evidence that other humans have even been there before me.

As with my trip last week to lost lake, in a nut shell I'd say the fishing was fantastic, while the catching was terrible. The water was stained, with maybe only 3ft of visibility at best. And the newts, don't get me started on the newts, you could nearly walk across the lake on them. They were quite aggressive too, biting at my spinners when jigged around the trees. I can only imagine that bait fishing with so many aggressive newts around would be next to impossible. Heck, I could barely keep them off of spinner being retrieved.

Now for the fish, I didn't see any clear signs there were even any in the lake. The newts were making plenty of small swirls but I did see a few slightly larger splashes that I assume were fish but still could have just been an energetic newt.

After my last few trips I fear my season may be on the fast track to wrapping up for the year:(. Though I do have at least one more lake in mind. Next up is Soapstone Lake, anyone ever fish there?

Thanks for the post, very cool looking spot. Don't you anglers up north have any 12 month lakes/res. ? Thats gotta suck...:( Down here in the middle of the state we have at least 10 with in 1hour of home. Wonder why that is, you have a far greater population than we do, you would think ODFW would be a bit more accommodating, its not like we pay more for our license. I will release a fish for you tomorrow morning in your name....now if I get skunked its on your head...;)

Chuck

C
chris61182
The problem is that there really just aren't that many lakes near by. There are tons of lakes up on Mt. Hood but drive time and gas prices are the major factors that keep me away from them. Though the elevation is going to start making them inaccessible in the coming weeks, they're all at 3,000+ft.

Troutski
Troutski
Lucky..lucky angler

Lucky..lucky angler

chris61182 said:
The problem is that there really just aren't that many lakes near by. There are tons of lakes up on Mt. Hood but drive time and gas prices are the major factors that keep me away from them. Though the elevation is going to start making them inaccessible in the coming weeks, they're all at 3,000+ft.

Man I am truly blessed, I don't think I could go through the winter with out being able to fish.....no wonder you northern anglers hit the Salmon and Steelies so hard .... I promise I won't post any more from November through May, its the least I can do :rolleyes:

Chuck

C
chris61182
Yup, stir-crazy here I come. Actually I may still have a few more outings up my sleeve, as there are lingcod and rockfish off the jetties, but that to is quite a drive. Next winter shouldn't be too bad, I'm going to get my tag so I'll have more options.

F
fishudedmeet
hi

hi

can you post a google maps link centered on its location?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
google-oogle

google-oogle

fishudedmeet said:
can you post a google maps link centered on its location?

fishudedmeet;
I don't usually do the googling for people if they can do it for themselves. ;) But I really wanted to know where this lake is at also. It is about an hour out of Portland on highway 26 in Clatsop county. The longitude is 45.8332 latitude is 123.5290. If you go, let us know how you do and take lots of pictures. :dance: Have fun and be safe.
Barb

Reactions: fishudedmeet